Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 9790|Reply: 68
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to get the best from metallic threads

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-5-26 01:17
| Show all posts |Read mode
Metallic thread can add sparkly embellishment to any design -- and can be especially appropriate for festive occasions, outshining everything else with that extra shimmering touch.

Metallic threads can present certain challenges. Here are some tips that will help to keep your stitching trouble-free.

Needle Threading
One task that causes the most fraying when using metallic thread is when you have to thread the needle.  You should choose a needle with a larger eye so that it is easier to thread.  Also, you can try folding the thread over so it forms a loop and putting the end of the loop through the eye of the needle.

Use a Larger Needle
One type of thread known for unravelling is the chainette.  When the thread unravels it can leave unsightly threads dangling from the project.  Therefore, it is helpful to use a larger needle and a straight up and down motion with this type of metallic thread.  The up and down motion keeps the thread from being dragged across the fabric.  The larger needle creates a bigger hole so that there is less friction on the thread.  Less friction means less fraying.

Smoother Stitching
Consider buying Thread Heaven to keep the metallic thread smooth and prevent fraying.  If you cannot find the product at your local craft store you can also use a clear fingernail polish at the ends of the thread.

Stitch with Care
When you use metallic threads, stitch more slowly and more attentively, and use a needle big enough to open the hole in the fabric enough, so as to allow the thread to go through the hole easily. Stitch, using the 'stab' method -- working your stitches in two movements -- up vertically, and then down, vertically through the fabric.

Prevent Twisting Threads
Allow the needle to hang frequently from the fabric, so that the thread can untwist. Consider turning the needle to half-twist as you bring the needle out of the fabric, to prevent the thread from curling.

Save the Best for Last
Metallic threads add that special touch to any project.  If you want certain areas of your project to really stand out, metallic thread draws the eye to that area.  Yet the thread tends to be more challenging to work with, so you will want to save it for the last part of your cross stitch project.  This way all of your other work is done and you can minimize the friction on your metallic thread.  It will minimise fraying and add a polished finish to your project.

You can vary the amount of shine, too, by varying the amount of strands of metallic thread that you use. More strands produce more sheen.

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +6 Collapse Reason
krystalina + 1 Thank you for your explanations
liz0222 + 5 Thanks for your tips!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-7-5 12:46
| Show all posts

thank you for the link, I had no idea what thread heaven was. Hopefully I can find some where I live.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-5 12:48
| Show all posts
lostmind03

Login/Register to enlarge
2012-11-22 06:26

I find it helpful to pull the metallic thread itself, and not solely use the needle to pull it up on ...

Thats a good idea, I never thought to pull on just the thread. Thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-12 23:40
| Show all posts
i'm currently working on a project using metallic and satin flosses from DMC, and the loop method in threading really makes a great difference. It helps me work on it faster. Thanks for these tips. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-12 02:16
| Show all posts
thanks for the tips, I've always had issues with the thread just not looking right in combination with the others, and now it's clear I wasn't taking extra care!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-3-16 08:04
| Show all posts
when pattern says blend together dmc+kreinik its better to do dmc 1st & then add a sparkle. Blend tends to reduce sparkle by half

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-3 08:09
| Show all posts
Thank you so much for all the tips!  I use the result from metallic threads but stitching with them can be so annoying!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-14 14:15
| Show all posts
Thank you for the tips. I am contemplating doing a project using these threads and will put these tips to good use!!!:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-12 08:09
| Show all posts
Good ideas, thank you.  I'll be trying them for the first time soon.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-4 05:18
| Show all posts
I also use short lengths, shorter than I would use with just plain floss

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-1 01:49
| Show all posts
use shorter pieces, the long the length the more knotting and tangling

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 16:55
| Show all posts
Thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 08:30
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-20 20:17
| Show all posts
Thanks for the tips. Very useful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-20 17:16
| Show all posts
Gracias por la información

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 01:29
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 09:05
| Show all posts
Thank you so much for all the tips! Very helpful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 23:26
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-15 16:23
| Show all posts
Very Nice!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 07:39 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.047708 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list