Search
Hot search: HAE Baby Xsd car xsd doll Russi
Author: deliciousfood
Collapse the left

Kits or patterns?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-18 01:10
| Show all posts
I don't buy kits if I can buy the pattern separately (I don't buy pre-packaged kits).  Same for quilting because those quilt kit sellers are not generous with the amount of fabric & the slightest error & you won't have enough fabric to complete the kit.  I ran into that problem with ccs kits back when I was buying them in the 1970's - never seemed to have the right amount of floss.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 21:06
| Show all posts
Pattern for me too...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 21:18
| Show all posts
I prefer patterns.  I like to change or add something to the design to make it unique.  Plus in my country the range of kits is quite limited so often it isn't possible to buy the design I want as a kit.

I do like to buy a kit to try out a new embroidery technique though, it usually is cheaper and easier than buying unfamiliar supplies.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 21:43
| Show all posts
I use both.  I am always concerned however that I will run out of floss with a kit.  It happened to me only once.  I have been cross-stitching for over 35 years and am experienced.  I remember e-mailing the company, and their response was that there was plenty of floss.  So, I decided to buy the same kit again and do it over to see if there was enough floss.  Can you believe it?  I ran out of that same floss color a second time!  This particular company is one that uses their own floss, so there is no exact match with DMC.  So, be very careful with kits!  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-25 10:57
| Show all posts
I prefer patterns. It gives you more liberty to chose fabric and you may also change floss colors. I do find it less expensive also.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-30 00:05
| Show all posts
I think there are pros and cons for both. Kits are good for the occasioonal stitcher who does not have a collection of the full line of DMC ready on hand to kit up a pattern from. When I got back into cross stitch and owned absolutely no supplies yet, it was much cheaper to buy a $6 kit at walmart than it would have been to buy pattern, fabric, 20 colors of floss, and needle. I completed 2 kits and then decided that was enough that I'd probably stick with cross stitch, and it was time to start investing in quality supplies. Because the floss in the kit was far from good quality. I found that by the time I had worked an 18" length of it in and out of the fabric so many times, it lost its sheen and looked rather dull. Because of that, the work itself doesn't look as nice, and I probably won't ever invest the money to get the pieces framed.

For the more serious stitcher who has the full line (or close to) of DMC already, patterns are the way to go. Many of the colors in a pattern need just a small amount of floss, so that initial 39 cents spent on that one color will stretch for several pieces. All you havve to spend on before starting is the fabric and to restock any colors that you are out of or don't have.

Now, if a pattern needs a LOT of speciality fibers or supplies, I would want a kit, especially if the kit was offered at a discount compared to buying each item individually. I'm talking about something like the Chatelaine designs.

For the most part though, what appeals to me about cross stitch is that almost any pattern can be stitched up from the same set of supplies. Give me a full set of DMC, and a piece of fabric big enough, and I have the potention of millions of different options to choose from. It is not like knitting or even sewing, where you need a specific yarn or fabric for each project to get the desired result. For this reason I like just patterns because I love the possibilities out there.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-3 23:43
| Show all posts
I preffer patterns

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-5 12:09
| Show all posts
If you have that many skeins, buy pattern and fabric only, not kit. I usually like kits but due to tons of accrued floss, I now just get the patterns.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-8 09:00
| Show all posts
I go for patterns but if I see a pattern in a kit I really want to stitch and its not to much I
get it

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-15 16:11
| Show all posts
I also prefer patterns

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-16 16:11 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.118214 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list