View: 3780|Reply: 30
Collapse the left

[Typical Courses] STITCHING OVER 1 THREAD WITH EVENWEAVE FABRIC

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-9 00:12
| Show all posts |Read mode
Tips for Over-One Stitching

Cross-Stitch & Needlework, March 2009

Tip #1: A good magnifier is indispensable. Even if you have sharp vision, a strong magnifier, preferably a lighted one, reduces eyestrain and allows you to see each stitch much larger than life. Take frequent breaks to relax your eyes.

Tip #2: Use a hoop or working frame. This allows the fabric to be held squarely and firmly for easier stitching.

Tip #3: When you are just beginning, try using evenweave fabric rather than linen. The irregular threads in linen can often be more difficult to work with until you get the hang of stitching over one.

Tip #4: When stitching over one, the floss can often slip behind the threads if careful attention is not given to how the cross-stitches are formed. There are two common methods of stitching over one. The first is to form each cross-stitch singly based on how the threads of the fabric weave intersect at the point of the stitch. If the horizontal thread of fabric goes over the vertical thread, work the stitch as shown in Diagram A. If the horizontal thread of fabric goes under the vertical thread, work the stitch as shown in Diagram B. The second method of stitching over one is to work a row of continental-style half stitches, then work back and complete the second half of each stitch as shown in Diagram C.

Tip #5: Most cross-stitch designs can be worked over one thread of fabric, with a few adjustments. Because quarter stitches are not possible, either omit them from the design, or convert them to full cross-stitches. Adjust the number of strands used based on the fabric size — most over-one stitching is done using one strand of floss, but work a few test stitches to find the look you want. To determine the final size of the piece, divide the stitch count by the fabric count of the fabric.

Tip #6: When stitching over one with one strand of embroidery floss, try using a single strand of colored
sewing thread to work backstitches.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 5Gold Coins +11 Collapse Reason
Elizabethdx + 1 Thank you very much!
NoraBL + 1 Thank you very much!
WiseOwl + 6 Good advice!
IamJamie + 2 Usefull
Whovian + 1 Thank you, my dear Dove :)

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2021-12-3 10:45
| Show all posts
Excellent tips!  It took me forever to learn #4 -- paying attention to whether the vertical or horizontal thread was "on top" so I didn't have slipping stitches (this can happen when stitching over 2 as well). It's especially important for confetti stitches.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-8-25 03:48
| Show all posts
Thank you for asking the time to share these tips, #4 especially. I can’t guess how long it would have taken me to figure that out!

Comments

Oops — thank you for taking the time!  Post time 2022-8-25 03:49

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 02:29
| Show all posts
thank you so much for this. I'm new to cross stitch and love one over one. will be giving this a try.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-11-24 14:13
| Show all posts
❤️ ¡Gracias por compartir!        

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 03:20
| Show all posts
Thanks you very much for the sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-12-7 19:33
| Show all posts
Muy útiles los consejos, gracias

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-14 12:41
| Show all posts
thank you, lots of great info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 17:05
| Show all posts
#Thank you for the sharring

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-8-27 09:46
| Show all posts
Thank you  very much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-8-24 10:56
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 02:30
| Show all posts
Nice, thank you.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 03:53
| Show all posts
gracias por la explicacion

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-4-9 07:43
| Show all posts
mdbf replied at 2013-4-9 03:53
gracias por la explicacion

My pleasure.  It will be easy after a couple tries, I'm sure!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-4-9 07:44
| Show all posts
PMcOuntry replied at 2013-4-9 02:30
Nice, thank you.

You're welcome!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 08:24
| Show all posts
Thank you dove. When stitching over one, and not doing the moody stitches (continental), I always make sure that I follow the direction of the top fabric thread - go across if the top thread is horizontal, and go up/down if the top fabric thread is vertical.

Comments

I'm not really sure what you mean. In the images above, the top stitch is horizontal in A and vertical in B. Does that match what you mean?  Details Reply Post time 2013-4-9 09:06

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-4-9 09:06
| Show all posts
Philomena replied at 2013-4-9 08:24
Thank you dove. When stitching over one, and not doing the moody stitches (continental), I always ma ...

I'm not really sure what you mean.  In the images above, the top stitch is horizontal in A and vertical in B.  Does that match what you mean?

Comments

The stitch won't slip when it is wrapped around the fabric thread that is uppermost on the back - that means underneath from the front. So you have to travel in the same direction as the topmost threa  Details Reply Post time 2013-4-9 11:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 09:08
| Show all posts
Philomena replied at 2013-4-8 19:24
Thank you dove. When stitching over one, and not doing the moody stitches (continental), I always ma ...

I really think that I love you :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 11:18
| Show all posts
princessmoody replied at 2013-4-9 09:08
I really think that I love you

Well I miss you and plastic, have to be nice to you when I see you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-9 11:22
| Show all posts
Edited by Philomena at 2013-4-9 11:28

dove replied at 2013-4-9 09:06
I'm not really sure what you mean.  In the images above, the top stitch is horizontal in A and ver ..

The stitch won't slip when it is wrapped around the fabric thread that is uppermost on the back - that means underneath from the front. So you have to travel in the same direction as the topmost thread. If you wrap it around the top thread, it can slip between the top and bottom thread of the fabric because there is nothing to hold it. This is probably as clear as mud.

Comments

No, I understand what you mean. I have found that the guidelines in the images wrap the threads as you say. I have also found that after I have worked a number of stitches in an area, it doesn't mat  Details Reply Post time 2013-4-9 12:11

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 22:23 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060210 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list