| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 1914|Reply: 24
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] The best way to wash your work after finishing?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-5-17 11:38
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hello!

I'm wanting to pick a few minds here and hope to find some good suggestions.  :)  

My current project is a lovely pattern on 28 count Evenweave.  I've never worked with the fabric before, nor on as large of a project as I am now, but as it's a gift for my Grandmother, I'm wanting advice.  My white thread is starting to turn a wee bit dingy from my working on it, not horribly so, but enough that I want to wash my project before having it framed.

Can any of you recommend your best washing method, whether it be technique or specific soap, to bring your work back to life?

I welcome all responses, and thank you in advance for your shared knowledge!  :D

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-12-21 12:41
| Show all posts

Thank you very much for your idea of vinegar or lemon juice. I am currently stitching a Chatelaine mandala and it’s mostly over dyed silk floss...
Maybe to reduce the time in the water, I was thinking to add some stain remover for silk and fragile fabrics like Vanish or Ace... Maybe ....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-13 00:53
| Show all posts
un lavage a l'eau tiede avec un savon doux ou autre , un rinçage , puis je la pose sur une serviette eponge que je roule pour l'essorer en douceur , et séchage soit sur un cintre si la dimension convient

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-1 21:45
| Show all posts
Я стираю работу в теплой воде с шампунем, у меня специально куплена большая бутылка Пантин, с дозатором. Для меня Пантин, теперь традиционное средство для стирки вышивки.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-11 21:39
| Show all posts
Just careful washing in a little warm water with a mild detergent (I use baby shampoo). Problems can only be if there are a lot of red shades in the work - then only cold water.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-12 19:37
| Show all posts
If I have to wash my stitching I use Quilt Soap (Orvus paste) never had any problems.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-15 18:02
| Show all posts
I wash my work in a little warm water and detergent for fine linnen.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-14 19:26
| Show all posts
New to stitching and afraid to wash and ruin my piece.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:46
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-17 12:05
| Show all posts
I find that the safest way to wash any project is to hand wash it with mild dish detergent and lukewarm water , then lay it flat to dry . I've heard many use the brand Dawn since it is gentle enough for animals , then it should be gentle enough for our projects ! ;P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-17 13:57
| Show all posts
I use Zero by Woolite as it's made for woolens and other delicate fabrics.  I wash my projects in luke warm water and you can let it soak a bit and rinse, rinse, rinse until the rinse water is clear.........don't wring it out........ gently squeeze the fabric to get the excess water out, roll in a thick towel and sqeeze it again to absorb the excess water and lay it flat to dry.  Press with an iron when it is damp or use a damp press cloth to take the creases out.   Press on a thick towel wrong side up so you don't flatten the stitches.   

Comments

Good answer LouAnna, this is the way you must wash your beautiful stitchingwork. :)  Post time 2018-8-13 01:24
If I have to wash them, I will do this same way but I have to use shampoo as there are not many choices of detergents where I live.  Post time 2013-6-30 17:36

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-5-17 15:13
| Show all posts
Great suggestions so far!  I'm taking notes, no doubt, lol.  :)  Keep 'em coming, Ladies and Gents, please.  XD

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-18 05:51
| Show all posts
Great question Myrrhan!  Thank you all for the great advice, also.  I have a few pieces that I need to clean but was afraid I'd ruin them!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-5-18 19:57
| Show all posts
Glad to pose a good question, seb.  :)  And still hoping to find out more of what techniques people use, as I'm afraid of ruining my work too!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 02:56
| Show all posts
I would wash it in lukewarm water with with soak fabric wash (no-rinsing!) and add half a dye catcher sheet just to be safe.  If using silk thread or overdyed floss add a spoonful of vinegar or lemon juice to the water too.
Don't rub it, just add the stitching last and swirl it about a couple of times then dry the way louanna described.

Comments

Pm2
Thank you very much for your idea of vinegar or lemon juice. I am currently stitching a Chatelaine mandala and it’s mostly over dyed silk floss... Maybe to reduce the time in the water, I was thinki  Details Reply Post time 2018-12-21 12:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 07:31
| Show all posts
I just recently finished a project and was hesitant washing it but had no issues with a mild soap.  I actually used a cheap dollar store dish soap in cold water.  I  didn't make any bubbles, just mixed it until it was incorporated into the water.  Put in my work and swished it gently by hand.  After leaving it to sit for about 10 minutes I washed it again in cold water.  Afterwards I took a towel to remove most of the water by pressing on the piece between the towel.  After letting it air dry a bit I took an iron on low heat and gently pressed the piece (on the towel) until dry.  Perfectly crease free and clean.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 20:14
| Show all posts
Be very, very careful!!!!  It depends on the floss you've used.  DMC claim their floss is washable, so a mild detergent and short soaking is probably the best solution.

All other flosses - overdyes and variagated - come with warnings about their washability.  I have had problems with red colours or anything that has a reddish tinge including browns etc.  Red is a difficult colour in all sorts of ways!!

Some people recommend fixing colours before you stitch, if you do a search on the internet you'll find techniques to fix the colours so that they won't run when you wash your precious work!!

Have a look at this site to get started - ivillage.com/forums/node/12820540

Another health warning from bitter experience - be careful when using a steam iron, as the steam could let some colours bleed.  No-one said it was easy!!!

Good luck!!

Comments

Excellent post, magenta13. I also have had issues with red dyes, even just using a steam iron. I really hesitate to wash anything, and so am extremely careful to stitch with very clean hands.  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-15 23:45

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-11 22:20
| Show all posts
I stitch on 28 mostly and at the end of every stitch I give it a hand soak in a liquid detergent made for gentle fabric and have also used one for babies. I've had excellent results.

I was recently given a piece by a friend who had something unknown spilled on it and didn't know how to get it out. I gave it a soak in what I normally use (Wooliite, Cheer, Wisk, or Dreft Baby) and added a little Borax and the stain was gone. My friend was very pleased.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-23 16:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.103677 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list