Register
View: 1931|Reply: 24
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Desperate: Traveling/Flying with/without scissors

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-1 11:26
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hello fellow stitchers,

I generally travel with something to work on en route, either a sweater, an doily or a cross stitch project, especially those long trips I have to take every other summer, where it takes up to 36 hours (inclusive of waiting/trainsit time at various airports) to reach where I need to be. I am sure many of you do that while travel too.

The problem is all my scissors were confiscated at the airports :curse:, including those baby nail scissors with rounded tips. I am again traveling far this summer and I can't survive the trip without doing anything. I am thinking of having a pair of scissors made to the express purpose of being allowed on the airplane with two big, rounded tips but not sure if that's possible :(

Please help if you have any tips regarding bringing scissors or stitching without scissors while traveling.

Thank you for your advices!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-2-8 03:50
| Show all posts
I use a nail clipper.  But the kind without the built in metal nail file.  I've heard the file is sometimes confiscated.  It all really depends on the person screening you.  They are allowed to reject or except what ever they want
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-25 14:32
| Show all posts

That is brilliant!  I’ve been using nail clippers, butfloss case is better!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-26 10:46
| Show all posts
You know the dental floss casing come with the tiny blade? I have been successfully pass through airports security. No problem at all.

It very small prefect fit for any hand carry. Worth trying !:loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:25
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-1 12:16
| Show all posts
I use pendant-shaped thread cutter when I bring my stitching project on board an airplane. The one I have is from Japan. I think you can buy it from the amazon. Just try to search on google "Clover thread cutter pendant".

Comments

Great idea! Thanks a lot. I know what you mean but I haven't seen one up close and don't know how it works. I can't order online anything from where I live (yes I can but whether I receive it is anoth  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-1 13:07

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-1 13:07
| Show all posts
fei2x replied at 2013-6-1 12:16
I use pendant-shaped thread cutter when I bring my stitching project on board an airplane. The one I ...

Great idea! Thanks a lot. I know what you mean but I haven't seen one up close and don't know how it works. I can't order online anything from where I live (yes I can but whether I receive it is another issue due to the post system) but it's good to know that I could use it on the way back.

Do you use it on cross-stitch project as well? Does it cut close to the surface of your work as well as embroidery scissors?

Comments

The Clover type cutter cuts quite close to the thread, but you would probably prefer to neaten the ends later with a pair of embroidery scissors. BTW I also read one one security site that the small  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-1 20:51

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-1 20:20
| Show all posts
And you don't have any problems with your needles? I also would like to stitch during flight but not only my scissors but also all my needles were confiscated at check in (Oooo, yes my dear sir, of course I would LOVE to stab the pilots with these needles ;P :dizzy:) :curse: . Now I store all my stitching material in my hardcase and take only a book with me on board :(

Comments

Really! Yeah, the security obviously saw clear and present danger in your needles. So far, I have been lucky with needles but that might change too!  Post time 2013-6-2 01:32

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-1 20:47
| Show all posts
I saw someone say that they put their needles in a coin purse (with coins obviously) - if it helps!  I saw on an American security website that knitting needles are allowed, but they certainly are not from British airports.  I understand that security is a priority, but sometimes it seems that there is no consistency and a dearth of common sense.

Comments

I saw on some website that scissors with pointed blades shorter than 4" were allowed but that's in the States. The last time I lost my scissors were nail scissors, very short and rounded blades. One s  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-2 01:38

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-1 20:51
| Show all posts
lovestitches replied at 2013-6-1 05:07
Great idea! Thanks a lot. I know what you mean but I haven't seen one up close and don't know how  ...

The Clover type cutter cuts quite close to the thread, but you would probably prefer to neaten the ends later with a pair of embroidery scissors.  BTW I also read one one security site that the small rounded scissors were OK, but the Clovers were not as they counted as a blade! (although not one you could cut your fingers with as the blade is in a notch.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-2 01:19
| Show all posts
When I travel I put my scissors in my checked luggage and take stitching, but I cut all of my threads before the trip so they are all the right size.   I then trim off my ends when I arrive at my destination.    I've traveled abroad and have never had my needles taken and I do put a couple of extra ones in my coin purse.   I'm surprised they would take your needles.
Most crafting stores should  have the clover cutter!   I guess it just depends on your country of origin and destination.
I've flown from NA to Europe back in '05 and had no problems with needles on my flights, flew with BA and one of the flight attendants was a stitcher and admired my stitch.  :)

Comments

I do cut my threads before flight but the ends get in my way while I stitch. I guess I will just buy a Clover cutter and neaten everything up after I land. Thanks for the advice.  Post time 2013-6-2 01:40

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-2 01:38
| Show all posts
Spookytooth replied at 2013-6-1 20:47
I saw someone say that they put their needles in a coin purse (with coins obviously) - if it helps!  ...

I saw on some website that scissors with pointed blades shorter than 4" were allowed but that's in the States. The last time I lost my scissors were nail scissors, very short and rounded blades. One security person looked at it and almost let me go but then he looked at his supervisor, who said scissors were scissors and took them and put them in the box with other forbidden objects in it. I looked at them sadly for a long while before leaving them there. Obviously, like you said, total death of common sense!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-2 04:53
| Show all posts
Edited by Biddy at 2013-6-2 08:55

I have a clover pendant cutter that I usually take with me and have had no problems so far. The biggest problem I had was with my light that I had carried all over the world and then the final leg of my journey thay wanted to confiscate it as the battery inside they said was an explosive device..... I finally manged to get them to dismantle it and take the battery and leave me the light. It is one of those that you can plug in and also use just with the battery making it really handy to use at classes etc. The other tip I have read about is using a dental floss container and use the cutter on that.

Comments

I don't bring a light but it would be hard without it if you are used to having it.  Post time 2013-6-2 11:41
Thank you very much for your reply. Airport securities probably do not know that that pendant has a blade inside but since it's not removable, it shouldn't be a problem. I will buy it this summer then  Post time 2013-6-2 11:32

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-2 17:08
| Show all posts
If I were travelling, rather than cross stitch I would taking knitting or crochet. And to prevent the need for scissors I would take a project that didn't need much cutting of thread. A pair of socks is a good one - you can start one sock from each end of the ball of yarn.

Also, if you don't want to get your stuff confiscated and lose it, I have heard of people carrying an envelope addressed to themselves with postage already attached - and if security tries to confiscate your needles/scissors/whatever that you thought would clear, you can just put them all in the envelope and find a drop box to mail the stuff to yourself before getting back in line. Someone would make a LOT of money starting a business collecting and mailing things to the homes of people at the security line if they could find a way to make it work somehow.

Also for knitting, I have heard of people using wooden neeldes - stick them in a pencil case, or use them to hold your hair up, and just carry on a ball of yarn. Then in the plane, you can decide to knit with your hair sticks ;P

Comments

That is such a good idea - i once had straight metal needles confiscated but I think that would work!  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-15 04:24
I have knitted on airplanes with steel circular needles and they were not even checked. Maybe security personnel at the airport do not think needles could pose any danger, just scissors, however blunt  Post time 2013-6-2 20:55
I have knitted on airplanes with steel circular needles and they were not even checked. Maybe security personnel at the airport do not think needles could pose any danger, just scissors, however blunt  Post time 2013-6-2 20:54

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 08:09 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.117698 sec., 27 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list