Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2078|Reply: 77
Collapse the left

Please help with this knitting pattern

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-2 06:50
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by cloud9 at 2013-6-2 00:56

I would love to knit this out fit for my dog- I love it but I want to knit it flat and not in the round.  I think that the seam sould join underneath?  Please could some clever at knitting please help me to re-write the pattern so I can knit it flat?  Its more just copy and paste than re-write:D

COAT
Workin the round from the neck and down.
Cast on 60-80-100 sts with double pointed needle size 3 mm [US 2or3] and light grey.
Work in Rib for 8-10-12 cm [3 1/8”-4”-4 ¾”] (= Collar which will be folded double).
Change to small circular needle size 4 mm [US 6] (sock needle in size XS).
K 1 round at the same time inc. 16-32-54 sts evenly distributed = 76-112-154 sts.
Continue the pattern as follows:
Size XS: M.2, P2 , M.2, P3, M.3, M.2, M.1 (= mid back), M.2, M.3 and P3.
Size S: * M.2, P2 *, repeat from *-* 2 times, M.2, * M.3, M.2 *, repeat from *-* 2 times, M.1 (= mid back), *
M.2, M.3 *, repeat from *-* 2 times.
Size M: * M.2, P2 *, repeat from *-* 3 times, M.2, * M.3, M.2 *, repeat from *-* 3 times, M.1 (= mid back), *
M.2, M.3 *, repeat from *-* 3 times.
At the same time when the piece measures 12-16-20 cm [4 ¾”-6 ¼”-8”] split the work for the forelegs as
follows: Put 10-16-22 sts on a thread or a stitch holder (= underneath the stomach), bind off 1 P st,
continue to work over the back piece and bind off the last st at the other side = 64-94-130 sts (= back
piece).
Work back and forth over these sts for 6-8-10 cm [2 3/8”-3 1/8”-4”] (the piece measures 18-24-30 cm
[7”-9½”-11 ¾”] in total).
Put sts on a stitch holder and put sts from the stitch holder underneath the stomach back on needle.
Cast on 1 new st each side of these sts = 12-18-24 sts.
Continue knitting the pattern back and forth with 1 P st each side. When worked 6-8-10 cm [2 3/8”-3
1/8”-4”] put all sts on needle = 76-112-154 sts.
When the piece measures 24-31-38 cm [9½”-12 ¼”-15”] bind off 12-20-28 sts mid underneath the
stomach.
Now work the piece back and forth on needle – at the same time bind off each side on every other row: 3 sts
1 time, 2 sts 2-3-4 time, 1 st 2-3-4 times, 2 st 2-3-4 times and 3 sts 1 time = 32-50-74 sts left. The
piece measures approx. 30-39-48 cm [11 ¾”-15 ¼”-19”].
Assembly:
Put the remaining sts on a small circular needle size 3 mm [US 2or3] and pick up sts around the binding off
edge to a total of approx 84-108-140 sts.
Work Rib for 2-3-4 cm [3/4”-1 1/8”-1½”], bind off loosely.
Leg:
Pick up approx. 36-44-52 sts on double pointed needle size 3 mm [US 2or3] around 1 opening.
Work Rib for 2-3-4 cm [3/4”-1 1/8”-1½”], bind off loosely with K over K and P over P. Repeat for the other
opening.

Untitled-2.jpg

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
piatracuminte + 1 Great work!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Author| Post time: 2019-4-19 17:58
| Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-12 05:19
| Show all posts
il est joli ce manteau pour chien, merci pour les explications

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-30 20:36
| Show all posts
Super like your share, so beautiful, thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-30 02:02
| Show all posts
Very nice! Beautiful! Thank you very much for sharing !!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-12 03:31
| Show all posts
Nice job. Congratulations!. Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-7 22:55
| Show all posts
Es genial.te ha quedado muy bien.buen trabajo

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-16 19:44
| Show all posts

Beautiful work.      

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-18 05:27
| Show all posts
Lovely work! Thank you very much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-18 18:09
| Show all posts
I'm really glad I found this here! Thanks❤️

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-11-29 09:06
| Show all posts
Edited by user200009 at 2022-11-29 09:07

Thank you so much for post! I learned a lot

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-2 06:58
| Show all posts
This is the chart for cable.  Thanks!

Untitled-1.jpg

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-4 23:26
| Show all posts
Could you find a pattern that is not knit in the round and knit the cables into the other pattern?   You could also try knitting a child's cardigan with buttons to see how it fits on the pooch!   Then incorporate the cables into the design.  
I like knitting in the round myself.   I find it goes faster.

Comments

Thanks for the tips LouAnna. I want to knit it flat because I can alter the underside if its too baggy. Been working on making sense of pattern and have a few more questions before I have got it sor  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-5 01:58

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-5 01:58
| Show all posts
LouAnna replied at 2013-6-4 17:26
Could you find a pattern that is not knit in the round and knit the cables into the other pattern?   ...

Thanks for the tips LouAnna.  I want to knit it flat because I can alter the underside if its too baggy.

Been working on making sense of pattern and have a few more questions before I have got it sorted.  Mostly....the pattern is written very complicated when infact its easy:)  its just making sense of it and bouncing off someone else to make sure I have understood it correctly!

Comments

I agree, the way that the pattern is written at the moment, is terrible.  Post time 2013-6-5 09:26

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-5 08:54
| Show all posts
muy abrigadito

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-5 09:34
| Show all posts
Its not a simple matter of cutting and pasting Cloud9, due to the placement of the cables on the underside of the jacket. However, since I have read that you want to knit it on the flat because you are considering the bulkiness of the cables, I dont think you will have much trouble converting the pattern.
What size have you chosen? that will determine the number of stitches you have for your project.
I think you should download some knitters graph paper, for example, like this one:
tricksyknitter.com/pages/posts/knitting-graph-paper-404.php
or
tata-tatao.to/knit/matrix/e-index.html

or download the free knitting software program, here: (highly recommend)
savannahwinds.weebly.com/knit-design-studio.html

and re-chart your pattern based on the size you want to knit.

Comments

I would like to make all the sizes. One for my dog and the rest for the dog shelter. I feel they need something pretty in their little lives and I am glad (in a weird way) this pattern is giving me  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-5 16:18

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-5 16:18
| Show all posts
bluebird replied at 2013-6-5 03:34
Its not a simple matter of cutting and pasting Cloud9, due to the placement of the cables on the und ...

I would like to make all the sizes.  One for my dog and the rest for the dog shelter.  I feel they need something pretty in their little lives and I am glad (in a weird way) this pattern is giving me trouble because I feel as if I am giving the dogs my time and it kinda says 'I care'.

Thanks for the links.  I will take a closer look when I get home from work.

Sorry for being a bit dense :L but I have never done a knitting graphic before and I am scared that I am going to make more of a mess.

Comments

Oh thats so sweet of you Cloud9, to actually make some for the dog shelter too!  Post time 2013-6-5 21:53

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +8 Collapse Reason
bluebird + 8 so kind of you!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-5 22:08
| Show all posts
Edited by bluebird at 2013-6-5 14:37

Its not you Huny, its this pattern, its very poorly written.
I have knitted the fair isle dog jacket (Drops design) a number of times and it worked out well, but I havent knitted this particular cable pattern although I do knit lots of Arans.

I will try and give you a hand with the charting if you like, but personally, before you do that, I think you should consider getting yourself a short circular knitting needle (like the one pictured here:

newenglandsimpleliving.com/choosingcircularneedlesforknittingsocks.htm

(as its much faster and more flexible than the double points recommended in the pattern - which are great for knitting lace doilies in the round, but rather frustrating when knitting garments larger than socks.) I would try and knit up a sample of this pattern, i.e. "mock" coat, - skip most of the ribbing, just knit two rounds or so, having made sure you use a marker to indicate the start of the round, and knit up the cables of the jacket so that you can see exactly how bulky the jacket is on the underside. That way, you will know for sure whether the pattern suits your needs or whether you are better off redesigning the whole garment - because that is what you will need to do if you knit it on the flat). This is just how I would approach this particular project & just a suggestion.

Comments

Thanks for the loads of advice and links and for the coins-I really feel spoilt. I know this is eating into your stitch time and I really appreciate your time♥ I did try the double point needles bu  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-6 00:20

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-6 00:20
| Show all posts
bluebird replied at 2013-6-5 16:08
Its not you Huny, its this pattern, its very poorly written.
I have knitted the fair isle dog jacket ...

Thanks for the loads of advice and links and for the coins-I really feel spoilt.  I know this is eating into your stitch time and I really appreciate your time♥

I did try the double point needles but got totally lost on this bit:

At the same time when the piece measures 12-16-20 cm [4 ¾”-6 ¼”-8”] split the work for the forelegs as
follows: Put 10-16-22 sts on a thread or a stitch holder (= underneath the stomach), bind off 1 P st,
continue to work over the back piece and bind off the last st at the other side = 64-94-130 sts (= back
piece).

Is the 10 stitches at the beginning of the round and if so (I am assuming it for the leg?)  Where are the 10 stitches for the other leg?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-6 00:46
| Show all posts
Edited by bluebird at 2013-6-5 16:53

the 10 stitches that you put on the stitch holder, they are for the underneath the stomach - that refers to the part of the jacket that continues between the two front legs, the bind off 1 P stitch at each end of the rest of the work is for the back piece (that is, the major portion of the jacket that goes over the dog's back).

The 10 stitches that you put on the stitch holder actually signifies the point where you knit the jacket in individual sections and then later you bring them all together to finish up. So in other words, what you are doing is knitting the main part of the jacket (over the dogs back) first, then you go back and add 2 sts to the 10 stitches (for between the legs) to your needles and continue to knit that portion as per the instructions, then you add the 12 stitches to the stitches of the main part of the jacket (that is, all the stitches together again) so you can then shape the bottom of the jacket in one section (you end up ribbing the bottom using 84 stitches).

After you have constructed the main body of the jacket, you are left with two slits in the sides of the jacket, they are the for the legs...what you need to do is pick up stitches around each of the slits (thats the part where the patterns says:-
Pick up approx. 36-44-52 sts on double pointed needle size 3 mm [US 2or3] around 1 opening. etc etc, so you then knit the ribbing for one cuff and then you do the exact same thing for the other - thus completing the garment.

Comments

Thanks for the explanation. I can follow your instructions when reading, I hope that its that easy when I knit the jacket for real. Will definitely need help with the chart, can't make head or tail  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-6 04:57

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 07:22 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.048719 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list