| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Jazzi
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] What is a Biscornu used for?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-23 14:56
| Show all posts
Yep, pincushion or ornament usually. Small ones can be used on christmas trees. I just love having them :) But then, I am addicted to smalls of any type

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-23 19:49
| Show all posts
I've always wondered this too - they seem totally pointless.   Does anyone use pincushions these days?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-29 18:11
| Show all posts
Edited by magenta13 at 2013-6-29 11:33

They are used as ornaments or pincushions.  I made a stack of them to resemble a christmas tree, it was from a free pattern on the net - Wyrdbyrd's Nest Quirky Quistmas Twee.  I stitched mine on green Aida with metallic threads!!

You can make different sorts of biscornu, star or flower-shaped, pagoda-shaped etc.  Some have 15 sides instead of just two.

biscofleur.JPG

You can say the same thing about humbugs and strawberries which make ornaments and pincushions too, they are just fun to d!!.

This picture is from Wyrdbyrd's Nest website:

DSCF0006.JPG

Login/Register to enlarge

Comments

THIS is gorgeous! I have seen them in stores, but might need to make one! Love it.  Details Reply Post time 2021-11-11 03:45
That is beautiful, very elegant  Details Reply Post time 2021-3-8 21:33

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +8 Collapse Reason
Jazzi + 8 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 09:54
| Show all posts
i love these they are great for doin little designs

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 10:58
| Show all posts
I've only ever made one, but I use mine as a pincushion.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 22:50
| Show all posts
I was just wondering the same thing. They are so pretty, but they look like a lot of work to finish.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-6 23:03
| Show all posts
A pincushion (or pin cushion or biscornue) is a small cushion, typically 3–5 cm across, which is used in sewing to store pins or needles with their heads protruding so as to take hold of them easily, collect them, and keep them organized.

Pincushions are typically filled tightly with stuffing, so as to hold pins rigidly once placed. Magnetic pin cushions are also used, though technically they are not "cushions" they serve the same basic function of holding pins neatly.

The most popular design;[citation needed]; a tomato with a strawberry attached was] most likely introduced during the Victorian Era. According to folklore, placing a tomato on the mantle of a new home guaranteed prosperity and repelled evil spirits. If tomatoes were out of season, families improvised by using a round ball of red fabric filled with sand or sawdust. The good-luck symbol also served a practical purpose—a place to store pins.Typically, the tomato is filled with wool roving to prevent rust, and the strawberry is filled with an abrasive to clean and sharpen the pins.

220px-Strawberry_pincushion.jpg

220px-Klettnadelkissen.jpg

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +8 Collapse Reason
Jazzi + 8 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-8 02:04
| Show all posts
thank you for asking this.
I was wondering about also.
I think they are way to pretty and labour-intensive to be used as pincushions.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-8 14:12
| Show all posts
:oI had one sweet dog that loved to chew up my pincusion, needles and all.  He always spit out the pins but I worried so much I threw it out.  He never bothered my wool one.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-1 03:57
| Show all posts
Pincushion,  christmas treeor window ornament

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 23:23 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.066712 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list