Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 1508|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Hand wash or Dry clean?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-9-27 12:31
| Show all posts |Read mode
Which do you recommend, hand washing your finished product or dry cleaning?

I haven't tried washing my projects. I just frame it immediately after finishing it since I am just stitching small ones. But I am currently working on my wedding portrait, so I am worried that I might ruined it if I wrongly wash it.

Still new to cross stitching, and not so familiar with the do's and don'ts. I am just so glad I came across to this site where I can ask for help. :)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:42
| Show all posts
Hand wash always, never had a problem and always turns out great. Just in a bowl or the sink with some dish detergent, soak in warm water for 10mins, then rinse under cold until no bubbles left. Gently ring out as much water as possible, then iron the reverse side through a bath towel, works great everytime.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-21 03:34
| Show all posts
I hand wash with orvus, which is a mild horse shampoo.  Never had any trouble with colors running

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 02:00
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-27 22:11
| Show all posts
There is a huge thread on this somewhere in here - Are you working a cross stitch piece?  
Here is a link that gives information on how to do this.  I have never washed my pieces and hope others that have help you in your decision of what to do :)

stitchingthenightaway.com/95/washing-your-finished-cross-stitch-piece/   

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-28 09:30
| Show all posts
I've always hand washed my work before framing and never had a problem. I've always used regular cotton floss & Aida or evenweave that is washable.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-28 09:53
| Show all posts
Me informaron que una labor que tiene que ser enmarcada siempre hay que lavarla aunque no este sucia porque tela lleva apresto y con el tiempo se vuelve amarilla.
A mi ninguna  labor  se me ha puesto fea siguiendo este consejo.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-29 22:56
| Show all posts
I hand wash, using a gentle detergent, for example something for woollens. I then dry them flat and give them a light press with an iron, on the fabric only, not the actual stitches.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-30 12:13
| Show all posts
Thank you for the tips.. Really appreciate it. :$

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-6 23:30
| Show all posts
Found this really useful thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-9 07:50
| Show all posts
I have heard of people putting their cross-stitch in the laundry, gentle cycle and using cold water. Some cross-stitchers put their aida cloth in a lingerie bag so the thread wouldn't get beaten up. I haven't had the guts to try this; I've always hand washed my work in the kitchen sink with Woolite after I scrubbed, bleached, and rinsed it thoroughly with water. The amount of dirt that gets lifted off the piece is amazing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-9 12:04
| Show all posts
It would depend on what type of threads you have used.  If they are colourfast, then a gentle wash with a mild soap like Woolite or a baby soap should be fine. Be sure to rinse it well and then block it while it is damp. If you have hand dyed threads, you may not be able to wash it or the colour will run.

I'm not sure I would trust a dry cleaner to touch my stitching! :)

Good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-19 06:34
| Show all posts
Thank you for your input, this helped me as well :-)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 07:47 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.042801 sec., 13 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list