Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 2625|Reply: 95
Collapse the left

[Finished Crafts] An unusual make/finish

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-10-3 13:59
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all, I wanted to share something with you I was asked to make by my mum recently and I had to sew it :'( by hand :'( because my machine is bust and I am getting a new one for Christmas so in the meantime its hand sew or no sew :(

I digress though, my mum is a child minder and she likes to act out books with them when she reads to get them all more involved in the story and I think it's a lovely idea.  One thing she uses to do this is a 'story sack'.  They can be hired by child minders and schools from local early years centres but for one reason and another no one seams to have a story sack for the book 'Rainbow fish' which is all about a fish who has lovely shiny scales being unhappy because he has no friends.  He goes to visit the 'wise octopus' who tells him to share his scales and he will be happy.  He does and makes friends and thus is happy.  A nice short premise that teaches about sharing and making friends.  She called me to ask her to make her a story sack for this book last week.

She wanted 4 little fishes, 1 big 'rainbow fish' an octopus and a star fish.  All characters in the story.  But wait there's more.  Each animal had to be double sided to coincide with the different parts of the story.  So the rainbow fish is shiny on one side and plain on the other, one side has shiny scales, where as the other side has just one shiny scale and the rest are normal.  The little fish all have a normal fin on one side and a shiny fin on the other to coincide with the rainbow fish sharing his scales, and the octopus and star fish both have a side with a shiny scale and a side without.  Due to the shape of them though, they also have 2 faces - happy and sad to go with it.  I spent a week, just designing the basic templates but I finished the rainbow fish trial and thought I would share it, I will be doing it agian, just to sort out some stitching issues but I think considering I had to design the thing myself and stitch by hand I did okay x what do you think?

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 13Gold Coins +45 Collapse Reason
roenor + 3 <font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Magnifique!</font></font>
cecilia79 + 10 Beautiful!
Mallardduck + 2 Fabulous!
Reptilegirl27 + 2 BEAUTIFUL POST!
Silverlea + 2 So cute
sil + 5 Very nice!
Weezie + 3 Great idea!
lovestitches + 5 Nice!
toti1418 + 2 Very nice!
bs.frog + 2 Wonderful!
valika77 + 1 Very nice!
stitcherex + 2 Awesome !
WiseOwl + 6 A great idea!!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-5-16 23:06
| Show all posts
Edited by Mallardduck at 2016-5-16 16:07

You sure did more than OK, they are great (and it's such a lovely story too). The more impressive that they are done by hand. Well done you, your mother must be very proud of you and very happy to be able to use these fishes.
Thank you for showing!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-1-7 06:08
| Show all posts
Very nice            

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-8-20 23:48
| Show all posts
Very nice            

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-29 02:19
| Show all posts
Very nice            

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-29 04:03
| Show all posts
Very interesting and lovely story. Your mom is your inspiration!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-30 13:26
| Show all posts
Very nice! Beautiful! Thank you very much for sharing !!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-15 19:47
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing your Beautiful hand sew work

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-9-11 07:56
| Show all posts
Beautiful!  You did an excellent job!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-2-23 02:07
| Show all posts
Very beautiful! Thank you very much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-9-10 21:46
| Show all posts
Gracias por compartir tu trabajo me encanta

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 14:11
| Show all posts
very nice !

Comments

Thank you, I definitely think I'll be doing it again because of the amount of stitching showing on the shiny side but I'm quite happy for a first attempt x  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-3 14:15

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-10-3 14:15
| Show all posts
myriambonne replied at 2013-10-3 14:11
very nice !

Thank you, I definitely think I'll be doing it again because of the amount of stitching showing on the shiny side but I'm quite happy for a first attempt x:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 14:31
| Show all posts
Very interesting and a great idea to act out books with small children.. In another life I was a kindergarten teacher and used to do the same sort of thing. The children just love it!!:)

Comments

they really do! she has a whole list of books for me too, so I shall be busy for a while to come yet I think xx  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:23

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 14:48
| Show all posts
If my level allows me to rate more, I would glady do that  !  These are absolutely fabulous !

Comments

Thank you so much x I've had a lot of fun making this fish and am on to the little ones now, once I have the full set I shall post another set of pictures for all to see xxxx  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:24

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 15:08
| Show all posts
:loveliness: wonderful! :loveliness:

congratulations on not only great stitching but great designing too. I will be forwarding all of my hand stitching to you from today forward ;P if this is what you can do by hand I can't wait to see what you can do with a machine.

I love the idea of the 'story sack' :D I used to do childcare in my home years ago and would have loved doing that. thanks for sharing your story and your fish, encore encore, more fish please ;P again wonderful work!

Comments

Thank you xxx I really have had fun with the designing - it was one of those moments when after searching the internet for free and paid for patterns I just thought, well I will have to design it myse  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:26

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 15:20
| Show all posts
Very nice, well done!:loveliness:

Comments

thank you Barbara x  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:27

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 19:11
| Show all posts
Very nice !

Comments

Thank you Monica xxx I can't wait to post the rest x  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:28

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 21:25
| Show all posts
Wow, you are very good at this. I know the story as my children are not that far past kindergarten. You mom will be very happy :-)

Comments

Thank you, it's a lovely story and I will probably make a mini sack for my son when he is old enough to read it too x  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:29

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-3 21:46
| Show all posts
You did a fabulous job there is no reason for tears :)  I cannot wait to see how the other sea creatures come out.  And this is a book that was much read when my daughter was little :)

Comments

thank you, I shall post some pictures probably next week when I come home from my mums x I have 4 little fishes made as well now  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-4 04:31

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 08:48 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060800 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list