Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 3575|Reply: 42
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Suggestions for a newbie

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-10-14 01:26
| Show all posts |Read mode
Can anyone suggest a brand they like for needles?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2013-10-14 01:42
| Show all posts
I usually use DMC needles bought at my local craft store.  I have used John James gold plated in the past but the gold wears off too soon for me and the needle doesn't slide through the fabric as well once the finish is gone.   I also like size 26 and 28 and use these for all fabrics.   Usually they suggest a 24 for 14ct fabrics, but I stick with the  smaller ones and have 3-6 in use for most projects.
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-17 08:00
| Show all posts
I too buy Bohin needles size #26 and #28 from Anita's Little Stitches online and have been buying them in bulk for years. The price is right and I've never found a better needle and I honestly think I've tried just about every brand available in the US. My experience with the gold is similar to most too, the gold finish comes off quickly and they don't work any better or longer than the Bohin that I get at a fantastic price.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:05
| Show all posts
Bohin.  But i have a lot of john james, and i found some old madeira in my stash the other day (silver) and they are quite nice.  I have tried the sullivans ball point needles, but found them tricky on a haed.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-7-4 00:02
| Show all posts
I recommend the DMC tapestry needles in size 26 for beginners. Thats pretty standard for a starting size. I eventually started using size 28 for beading and found I like it for stitching as well.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-4-28 16:14
| Show all posts
I stitch on 18-count aida and prefer using size 26 DMC tapestry needles the eyes are large enough for two threads and they don't increase the hole size

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-1 11:01
| Show all posts
I stitch with needles from Dimensions cross-stitch kits. They are durable.
Tried some gold plated needles which did not last long - the eye broke.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-4 16:17
| Show all posts
Я  иглы заказываю на али. Размер беру меньше рекомендованного для данной ткани. Для бека беру обычные иглы.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-3 23:42
| Show all posts
I use John James, Permin, and a Pyrym a neele with a tiny boll on it.
That's now my favorite sinds I have worked with it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-1-3 00:16
| Show all posts
Edited by anniekins at 2018-1-18 20:23

I also use the DMC needles, either 26 or 24. I have tried the John James put found that they bent while being used.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-14 02:03
| Show all posts
I also use DMC and I prefer the thinnest of needles no matter the count on the material I like it where the hole is not made larger by the needled in case I have to pull threads out (which by the way I seriously hate doing).  I also have a pretty neat threader from DMC its blue in the middle has the normal wire threader at the top but on both sides it has metal threaders for various size threads and I love it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-15 15:08
| Show all posts
I've been using a couple of the John James gold petite needles and I don't like them at all.  I bought them because they were short needles, but they are pulling on the fabric and feel rough. I'm going back to the DMC also.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-19 06:30
| Show all posts
I'm also a newbie and appreciate your suggestions on needles :-)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-20 04:52
| Show all posts
I like Permin gold plated needles - size 26 or 28, bought via Ebay usually

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-21 18:05
| Show all posts
My favorite needles are Bohin, size 26, bought online in bulk from Anita Little Stitches.  They seem to glide so well, and the holes are smooth.  DO NOT like gold plated needles either, for the reasons mentioned above :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-12-31 23:04
| Show all posts
DMC or Anchor needles here as well.  I am using 24s because I couldn't get the 26s the last time I had to buy :(  I don't think I've ever seen the 28s here.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-1-4 02:33
| Show all posts
This was sooooo helpful.  Thanks for all the tips!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 11:22 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.047495 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list