View: 1972|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Processing Crafts] CROCHET ALONG - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 2

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-11-5 04:56
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Reptilegirl27 at 2013-11-5 05:11

CA P2 W2.JPG

Good morning everyone and welcome to our Project 2, Week 2 check-in thread! :)

I hope you all had a very productive week and a nice relaxing weekend! It looks like many of us could use this next week to get some more practice time in and to plan out this project so that is what we are going to do. If you are ready to move on and start crocheting for the project you may certainly do so! If you already started feel free to post your progress pictures to this thread! We would love to see and hear about it! Maybe you could also share some tips or suggestions with us from your experience so far.

Remember the stitch schedule below is only suggested, you can crochet at your own pace and keep in touch with the group every Monday in the check-in thread. The schedule is more of a guildline and we can make as many changes as necessary to keep the group together. If everyone is cruising through the steps we might agree to speed it up or even slow it down if it is too fast. Please do not feel pressured or rushed, take your time and have fun! If you are falling behind or you are way ahead don't hesitate to say so! That's what these check-in threads are for so we can keep in touch :loveliness:

If you are just joining us we all welcome you to the Crochet Along! Please share a little something about yourself in a reply below! You haven't missed much as most of us all still in the process of planning out our projects! There is plenty of time and no need to rush! Please click on the link below to read through the Week 1 thread so you have all the recent information on Project 2. Again welcome to the CA we are sooo glad to have you joining us! :D

For your reference, below are the links to all the previous posts for this project:
Crochet Along - Project 2: Idea Submissions
Crochet Along - Project 2: Vote
Crochet Along - Project 2: WEEK 1

CROCHET ALONG - STITCH SCHEDULE
**I do have a favor to ask, if any of you have already worked an African Flower Motif and you could share with us some advice or alternative tips outside from the pattern, please share with us below. I grately appreciate it in advance!

10/28/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 1
Please take this time to download and review the pattern in its entirety! READ IT THOROUGHLY! You are going to want to design and plan out your colors for each piece. Take note of any materials you may need to acquire and take this time to do so. I have posted some pictures above to help boost your creative minds :)

This is a very extensive pattern that includes some new techniques you may or may not be familiar with. All the details are included within the pattern download and I HIGHLY recommend you follow it completely. Practice these new techniques and learn the different motifs! For a successful finished project you will need to know exactly what to do and how to assemble the pieces. If you come across any concerns or questions simpily reply to this thread and we will work on it together!

11/04/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 2
Weekly check-in thread -
continue practicing your motifs and techniques from the Week 1. Gather your materials and plan out your project. Decide which joining method you prefer and how you want to proceed. It seems like many of us are using the join-as-you-go method, this is not mandatory, you can choose to make all of the pieces first and join them at the end.  Your preference! Please take note that I will be following the pattern for the stitch schedule and the pattern is based on the join-as-you-go method. Again this is all up to you and what you are most comfortable with.

SIDE NOTE: The designer has chosen to start the motifs with Ch 5 and slip stitch to form a ring. If you prefer, as I do, you can substitute the Ch 5 for a magic circle. If you do not know how to work the magic circle, YouTube has some wonderful tutorials! I find that it makes it easier when using the magic circle and it gives you the ability to adjust the tightness of the inner circle simply by pulling on a piece of yarn! Look it up and judge for yourself! **Please note, this only stands as a reference, you do not need to use the magic circle

11/11/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 3
STEP 1 - HIND LEGS - Make (2) hexagons and (2) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

11/18/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 4
STEP 2 - BUM OCTAGON - Make (1) large octagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

11/25/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 5
STEP 3 (1 of 2) - BUM PENTAGONS - Make (2 of 4) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

12/02/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 6
STEP 3 (2 of 2) -  BUM PENTAGONS - Make (last 2 of 4) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

12/09/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 7
STEP 4 (1 of 3 - LEFT SIDE OF BUM) - Make (1) hexagon and (1) pentagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

12/16/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 8
STEP 4 (2 of 3 - RIGHT SIDE OF BUM) - Make (1) hexagon and (1) pentagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

12/23/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 9
STEP 4 (3 of 3 - TOP OF BUM) - Make (1) hexagon and join. ROUND 2 COMPLETE! Weekly check-in thread

12/30/2013 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 10
STEP 5  - BELLY OCTAGON - Make (1) octagon and join, Weekly check-in thread
***ALMOST HALF WAY THERE***

01/06/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 11
STEP 6 - ROUND 3 HEXAGONS - Make (2) hexagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

01/13/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 12
STEP 7 - ROUND 3 HEPTAGONS - Make (2) heptagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

01/20/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 13
STEP 8 - FRONT LEGS - Make (3) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

01/27/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 14
STEP 9 (1 of 2) - ROUND 4 MOTIFS - Make (2) hexagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

02/03/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 15
STEP 9 (2 of 2) - ROUND 4 MOTIFS - Make (3) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

02/10/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 16
NECK (1 of 3) - TOP OF NECK - Make (1) pentagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

02/17/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 17
NECK (2 of 3) - SIDES OF NECK - Make (2) pentagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

02/24/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 18
NECK (3 of 3) - LAST NECK MOTIF - Make (1) pentagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

03/03/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 19
HEAD - EYE MOTIFS - Make (2) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

03/10/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 20
HEAD - CHEEK MOTIFS - Make (2) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

03/17/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 21
HEAD - UNDER MOUTH - Make (1) hexagon and join, Weekly check-in thread

03/24/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 22
HEAD - TOP OF NOSE - Make (2) pentagons and join, Weekly check-in thread

03/31/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 23
HEAD - NOSE PATCHES - Make (2) "nose patches" and join, Weekly check-in thread

04/07/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 24
HEAD - NOSE END - Make (1) pentagon and join, add eyes to your liking, then stuff the Happypotamus!!! YAY SOOO CLOSE!!! Weekly check-in thread

04/14/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 25
HEAD - EARS - Make (2) "modified" hexagons per instruction and join! Weekly check-in thread
***Please post a picture of your finished butterfly this week as soon as possible so I can get them together for the final vote***

04/21/2014 - PROJECT 2 - WEEK 26
Final check-in and vote for best project! PLUS....PRIZE ANNOUNCMENT!!! YAHOO!!!

If you have any questions or concerns, advice or suggestions, pictures to share or anything else you would like to add please reply below. Be sure to check back soon for added information and shares!

I hope you all have a wonderful, stitch-filled week ...let's get those hooks in the air!
Amanda :loveliness:

Rate

Number of participants 4Gold Coins +11 Collapse Reason
KnittingNeedle + 1 very clear
carton + 6 Thank you very much!
quietone + 1 Thank you very much!
klodsen + 3 thank you for mking the timeline so easy.

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2013-11-5 23:32
| Show all posts
so this is what i have done so far... i started out slow making the flowers, they took me sometime to complete, but i have time in the morning and in the evening to get as many done as i can.. i love making the flowers there fast and they dont take much room to store when i am done :) .. once i got them done i started joining them together, i used the wip stitch sew method which i find easy... and it goes  by fast.. i messed up a few times putting the feet in so i had to take it apart and put back together.. so i think when u start putting it together get some extra pictures from the web so u can look at the finished ones and as u join so u have more of an idea how to do it... .. i am not done so no worries there... just going to take a bit of a break to figure out the next steps i want to do.. so far i have this done..

side view

side view

bum

bum

Body  and bum with tail. i need to redo i dont like it..  i have to restuff becasue the one foot is flat..

head.

head.

head i need eyes and ears.. which i am still figuring out..  

i did mine in two part, as u can see. so when i am done figuring it all out i will put together... i dont know if i would do it this way again.. but as soon as i join them together i will let u know how it all went.. just taking it slow..

Comments

Love your hippo. I think I also need a tail... for my hippo.  Post time 2013-11-10 09:08
Oh she is so cute! You are doing a fantastic job! Love the tail!  Post time 2013-11-8 01:38
PS - I'm sending you some coins for that excellent tip about the stuffing! Excellent share I really appreciate it!  Post time 2013-11-7 01:15
Yes I love your tail! I've been researching to figure out how I want mine to look. That's one of the first things I noticed was no tail...every hippo needs a tail :)  Post time 2013-11-7 00:25
Love your colors  Post time 2013-11-6 20:35
My Hubby told me the Hippo needed a tail so i had to add one.. but i think he was right it did need one.. :)  Post time 2013-11-6 10:53
I love the tail :) It´s so cute  Post time 2013-11-6 02:00
It looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing and giving us those great tips! I appreciate it very much!  Post time 2013-11-6 00:32

Rate

Number of participants 3Gold Coins +7 Collapse Reason
carton + 3 Very nice!
Dracana + 1 So cute!
Reptilegirl27 + 3 Beautiful work and great tips thank you!

View Rating Log

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-11-7 01:11
| Show all posts
In case any of you may have missed this great tip...and I know this is a little soon but I want you all to be comfortable with whatever colors you choose to work with, I know colored stuffing can be difficult to find and expensive. @mustaangel had a great suggestion - if you are using black or dark yarns for your project; stuff black or dark colored pantyhose with the stuffing first and THEN stuff your happypotamus! A fantastic idea! Thank you so much again for sharing! :loveliness:

Comments

Yup same here....I have a soon to be 7 year old and very distinctive little boy who just loves pulling out mommy's stitches and stuffing. We love them but come on!!! LOL  Post time 2013-11-9 12:35
no worries.. i have a little one who will pull my stuffing out of the hippo once its done lol.. little fingers love to pull stuff :D hehehe that's y i need pantyhose or a casing for the inside :)  Post time 2013-11-9 12:04
Me too! Dollar store baby! LOL ;)  Post time 2013-11-7 02:17
That's what my husband said too! Although I don't have any pantyhose, guess I'll have to buy some. :)  Post time 2013-11-7 02:09

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-5-22 02:58
| Show all posts
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*• Bravo, well done •*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-4-11 17:56
| Show all posts

Verry nice work!!! Thank you for sharing:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-12 22:53
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-11-18 17:16
| Show all posts
veryverynice

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-5 05:05
| Show all posts
Checking in, I am your CA Stalker and want to see what parts of the CA you have done I love that you all do this, and I guess a bit jealous I cant crochet!  So please POST those pics of your progress I love to see all the pretty colors and different ideas each of you choose!

Happy Crafting!

Comments

Thanks for all your support chicka!!! XOXO  Post time 2013-11-5 05:11

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +4 Collapse Reason
Reptilegirl27 + 4 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-5 05:28
| Show all posts
Cheking in but i dont think im going to startnit this week have some other project   but i will catch uo with your later  

Comments

That was my original idea too....but then I found my match :)  Post time 2013-11-5 06:34
Just me then read it wrong .. im thinking mking a mini mini hippo in one color so juat have to fing thecolor  Post time 2013-11-5 05:44
Thank you for the rating and you are very welcome! No worries though I finally just picked out my colors today and I still have to gauge and practice. We aren't starting the Project till next week :)  Post time 2013-11-5 05:34

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-5 06:09
| Show all posts
I'm still working out if I want to do a solid or more than 1 color.  I'm out of practice so I'm trying to think of the easier way right now.  :)

Comments

I'm only using 3 colors....I just figured out today what I want to do. Sit with your colors spread out in front of you....that's my trick ;)  Post time 2013-11-5 06:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-5 07:26
| Show all posts
I'm still practicing. I'm having a little trouble where you slip stitch and tie one round off and start another. I'm always not sure what's considered a stitch and what's not when I get back to that spot on the next row. I did one with a really big hook & big yarn yesterday so I could see the stitches better. I'm also trying different colors, they don't look like what I thought they would, but at least I'm finding out what doesn't work. I've been watching LOTS of videos on youtube, it's helped a lot, they even have several from the pattern designer!

Comments

Haha that's great to hear though! This pattern is a lot similar to the butterflies I make so I'm sure it'll start getting quicker for me also  Post time 2013-11-7 02:19
I've made a lot of practice squares, and I'm getting much better now! At this rate I'll be able to make a quilt.  Post time 2013-11-7 02:13
I know exactly what you are taking about now when attaching to that starting chain! Gah it's a pain in the toosh getting that hook through!  Post time 2013-11-7 00:26
I can figure it out, it just takes a while. I usually have to count all the stitches. I put a little pin in the 3rd chain so I know where to go, it gets pulled too tight to get the hook thru.  Post time 2013-11-5 21:06
Did you figure out that slip stitch issue?  Post time 2013-11-5 19:49
I'm glad you are using all the resources! You'll get it figured out! If you continue to have any issues post pictures and we'll be glad to help you out! We can do this! I'm starting mine today YAY!  Post time 2013-11-5 19:48
Yes, I think cross stitch is easier too!  Post time 2013-11-5 12:35
Slip stitch and tie one round off is certainly all foreign to me... eeek I need to stick to my litte x's in cross stitch :)  Post time 2013-11-5 09:48

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-5 08:05
| Show all posts

I would like to recap my progress here.  I have finished step 3, using magic circle to start the motif, and join-as-you-go to sew them together.

I am now forcing myself to finish my heart-shaped cat before working on this hippo again.

Hippo-03.jpg

Comments

Weew you sure got a lot done over the last week! Way to go! And your colors are spectacular! You are so great at color coordinating girl! So beautiful!  Post time 2013-11-5 19:51
I love the colors well done I am going to start this week also....first my second wooly finishing But i make all the pieces and make him together ....... I hope that is no problem?  Post time 2013-11-5 18:31
Oh carton I LOVE your colors! This is going to be SO PRETTY!  Post time 2013-11-5 09:49

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
mutselfruts + 2 Very nice
Reptilegirl27 + 3 it's gorgeous!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-6 01:59
| Show all posts
I´m also twoo weeks ahead or something like that :) I´ll try to put the stuffing into a black nylon or something like that because I can´t get these holes smaller. Or does anyone of you know of an online shop that sells dark stuffing and deliveres to germany?

hippo back 001.JPG

Comments

I´ve seen it. Thanks a lot for posting. But I´m not going to use dye because of my son. I´m soon so far that I can try the dark panty version... just can´t stop  Post time 2013-11-8 01:49
This is beautiful you are doing an excellent job! I posted in the week 1 I found a blog that gives tips and either panty hose or felt seem to be the big ways to line the black :)  Post time 2013-11-8 01:40
Again great advice klodsen! Thank you so so much!  Post time 2013-11-7 06:39
I´ll give it a try with black pantyhose. I´ve never tried. Does it work with the legs or do I need seperated there?  Post time 2013-11-7 05:17
It looks so good the ones i made i udes white pantyhose because then im sure it can go in the washing maskine without the stuffing running out  Post time 2013-11-7 05:04
That's an excellent idea! Thank you so much for sharing!  Post time 2013-11-7 01:02
I like the colour u picked for the base.. black looks so great... u can always look at using black pantyhose to put the filling in.. i might go out and get white ones for my hippo  Post time 2013-11-6 10:55
Wow is that beautiful! Keep up the great work and don't stop if you are on a roll! Like I said the schedule is more of a guideline anyways :) Have you tried Amazon? I'm a sucker for it LOL!  Post time 2013-11-6 03:17

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +6 Collapse Reason
carton + 3 Very nice!
Reptilegirl27 + 3 So lovely!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-6 02:25
| Show all posts
Oh! that discouragement! :(:(:(:(I have not started yet!!
But I will not give up!, Ok?;P;P

Comments

Once you get started, you will find it difficult to stop. This pattern is so interesting!  Post time 2013-11-10 09:11
No race and please do not get discouraged. Did you decide on colors?  Post time 2013-11-8 01:41
You are absolutely right mustaangel! There is plenty of time to work on this! :)  Post time 2013-11-7 00:23
I havent startet either  Post time 2013-11-6 20:35
this isn't a race to see who finishes first its just a fun project :) i cant wait to see what ur hippo will look like :D  Post time 2013-11-6 10:56
just go on!! It doesn´t take so long the scedule is very loose. I don´t have so much time so I wanted to do as much as I can now to get it finished in time  Post time 2013-11-6 04:04
I dint´t choose colors too!! Maybe this weekend!  Post time 2013-11-6 03:27
No don't be discouraged! I haven't yet stated either! I only just picked out my colors yesterday and I'll practice and gauge later this week. No worries sweetheart :)  Post time 2013-11-6 03:15

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-11-7 00:21
| Show all posts
Well my first practice pentagon motif is almost done! I think I'm going to have to go down one more hook size because of the large gaps, but we'll see. Pretty excited! :D

Still nervous about trying the join as you go technique...seems rather complicated but I hate sewing ;P

20131106_111457.jpg

Comments

I like the grey colors you picked.  Post time 2013-11-10 09:13
i like the colours. :) cant wait to see how it turns out :D  Post time 2013-11-9 12:01
I like your colors :) It is so exciting seeing all of the difference ideas :)  Post time 2013-11-8 01:42
It looks goodNice colors And sewing is much easyer I think  Post time 2013-11-7 16:02
Looks perfect for me too  Post time 2013-11-7 05:04
Awe thanks girl :)  Post time 2013-11-7 02:18
Pretty! It seems perfect to me!  Post time 2013-11-7 01:39

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +3 Collapse Reason
carton + 3 Very nice!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 13:47 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.090321 sec., 27 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list