Search
View: 9501|Reply: 82
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to Stitch with Metallic Threads

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-6-9 15:54
| Show all posts |Read mode
Taken from cross-stitching.com

There is now such a wonderful choice of metallic threads for cross stitchers. Read on to find out what to look for and how to use these special threads.

For many years, metallic embroidery has adorned the garments of royalty and also the robes of priests. The original metallic threads were actually made from precious metals such as gold and silver, beaten into fine ribbon and then wrapped around a silk core. Such threads were obviously extremely expensive and could only be used by the wealthy, but today, modern technology has enabled the created of 'metallic' threads using polyester fibres to open up the world of metallic embroidery to stitchers everywhere.

Which thread?
There is such a vast range of metallic threads available that a visit to your local needlecraft stockist might leave you feeling rather bewildered at the choice and wondering what is best for your design.

Metallic threads can either be divisible or non-divisible and this is the first choice you need to make. Divisible threads can be split into a number of strands like stranded cotton, so you can use a single or double strand on its own or with strands of cotton combined.

The different types of metallic threads and the option to blend with other threads creates endless possibilities and effects. When choosing a thread remember that it must be able to slip through the holes in the fabric easily. You might find it helpful to experiment with a selection of different threads on various counts of fabrics to see which work best, and also find out the different effects that can be created.

The secret is to find a thread to enhance your cross stitch design, without overpowering other areas of the project. When choosing threads, take advantage of the expertise of your needlecraft supplier, as they should be able to help you choose an appropriate thread for the project you are creating.

HOW TO STITCH WITH METALLIC THREADS
Metallic threads are very versatile when used in cross stitch embroidery. You can use them on their own or with embroidery threads. They can be rather slippery and generally need to be fastened to the needle before stitching.

1. If you are using an even number of strands, fold a long length of thread in half and feed the loop end through the needle. Pass the loop over the needle to secure. You will only need half the number of strands as the thread is doubled up ...
metallic011.gif

... alternatively, if the thread isn't too bulky, tie a single knot next to the needle to secure it while stitching. If two strands are required, work each arm of the cross stitch twice.
metallic021.gif

2. Metallic blending filaments are designed specifically for use with stranded cotton. Because they are so fine, you should use the normal number of strands of embroidery thread plus the blending filament to add a very subtle sparkle to the cross stitch. We find that a double length of filament with two strands of cotton gives the best result.
metallic031.gif

3. Metallic thread has a tendancy to keep slipping through the stitches on the reverse side when you try to begin stitching. Try this foolproof method normally used in needlepoint : tie a knot in the end of the thread and take the needle down through the fabric 1-2cm (0.5-1in) away from where you want to begin, leaving the knot on the surface. Continue working the cross stitch until the thread has been caught in on the reverse side, and then snip off the knot.
metallic041.gif

4. Metallic thread cross stitch can be much neater if the threads lie parallel rather than twisting together on the surface. Use this simple stitch technique called 'railroading' to keep the threads straight. Put the needle between the two strands of threads of thread before taking it back through the fabric. This helps the threads to remain untwisted.
metallic051.gif

5. Multi-ply or stranded metallic threads can be separated quite easily. Cut the required length of thread and pull out one strand at the time. Recombine the required number of threads together in the needle for stitching.
metallic061.gif

How to wash your metallics
The majority of metallic threads used for cross stitch can be hand washed, but it is still worth checking the packaging to make sure. Wash your stitching at 30°C using a mild liquid detergent suitable for fine fabrics or woollens.

Rinse the fabric well and wrap it in a towel to remove any excess water before drying. Dry away from direct heat.

When pressing your stitching, place a piece of muslin or a handkerchief between the stitching and the iron to prevent the thread from being damaged, and always use a cool dry iron as steam can damage the metallic finish.

Rate

Number of participants 3Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
Mary.Jane + 1 Very helpful - thanks!
geordiesmom + 2 Thanks so much for your help
seb0357 + 2 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2022-2-3 03:51
| Show all posts
Thanks for these great tips! I love metallic thread, but it’s definitely hard to work with. I use short lengths too to prevent me from getting too frustrated with the tangling.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-1-24 13:08
| Show all posts
Вышивала металлизированной нитью. Нить  постоянно скручивается и путается. Попробовала по совету из темы, получилось намного удобнее

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-11-4 04:04
| Show all posts
Идеи интересные, спасибо! И все равно также аккуратно, как хлопком или шелком крестики не получаются. Надо очень много терпения.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-14 07:53
| Show all posts
Muchas gracias por este increíble documento.  Es verdaderamente muy útil

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-10-4 02:40
| Show all posts
Great info! I'll be needing this information soon on my curmudgeon project!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-1-30 19:42
| Show all posts
Great advices, thank you so much for sharing your experience and article.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-17 00:45
| Show all posts
I have never done railroading but will do this tip next project. Thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-30 05:18
| Show all posts
(¨*•.¸ ☆  Thank you very much for sharing !!! ☆¸.•*¨)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-10 09:20
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for the info! Very helpful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-30 09:25
| Show all posts
¡Muy útil!, muchas gracias por comparitr

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-18 00:08
| Show all posts
great article :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 02:14
| Show all posts
So helpful! Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-5-18 21:36
| Show all posts
very interesting thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-5-19 05:07
| Show all posts
Great article, i still find them hard to stitch with, especially the DMC threads as the metallic foil around the threads always gets damaged and frays

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-6-1 05:58
| Show all posts
This was very helpful. I haven't tried stitching with metalic yet, but always wanted to. Now I feel more sure to give it a try

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-11-14 09:54
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-11-21 13:20
| Show all posts
Reply 7# dizzydi

Hi
I have a few ideas that my help as well.
Try to use the needle with the largest eye you can find. The reason mettallics fray is because of friction. If you can use a larger eye that will cut down on the friction. Also use short lengths of thread as this also reduces the friction from pulling the thread through the fabric countless times.  
Good luck Julie

Comments

Very helpful. Thanks.  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-15 05:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-11-24 06:53
| Show all posts
the problem with I have found to use these metal wires is that desilachan easily, so my trick to prevent this from happening is to use strands of short length and put on the ends of the thread clear nail polish (low)
for the wire to slide more easily through the fabric also can be applied nail polish all over the thread, but always in small quantities to avoid altering the texture of the thread.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-1-11 11:09
| Show all posts
Reply 9# bimbom

Great tips, I ove using metallics specially for Christmas proyects, so I´ll keep this in mind for next year.
Kisses!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 05:00 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.093718 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list