Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1322|Reply: 17
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Cheap vs branded thread

[Copy link]
Post time: 2014-3-27 15:08
| Show all posts |Read mode
Is there really a difference? I bought a cheap pack from Walmart for $10 with 165 colors, but now I'm wondering if I should pay more for the branded threads, like DMC.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2014-3-27 16:24
| Show all posts
It all depends on what you're working on.  If you are just making cards to give to friends or to donate to charity, then I guess cheap threads will do fine.  If however you are stitching something that you want to frame or something to treasure for years to come, then I suggest buying the best you can afford.  Cheap threads will lose their colour and go fluffy when you stitch with them, and they may also bleed when you wash your finished work.  Years ago I bought some Red Heart threads which are supposed to match DMC, but they did not and I soon put them in the bin.

Stitchyman

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +8 Collapse Reason
Bleu + 8 Usefull

View Rating Log

Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-14 07:09
| Show all posts
I don't think it makes any difference as the human eye does not see a difference in stitched textures.   The only reason I buy branded is so that I can use charts with floss colours.  If you have silhouette or not many colours charts to do I think using cheaper threads is sensible and can't think why you would want to throw them away, or why anyone has thrown them away as stated in this thread.   
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 09:47
| Show all posts
Thank you for this as I've been debating on getting kit/floss kit on Amazon with a variety of colors as I'm learning, but wasn't sure as I can't find a conversion chart for other companies with a lot of them.. but going by this, it seems like the cheap/no name brands of floss will be just what I'm looking for as a learning agent as I can try loads of colors as well, without spending big bucks. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-1 21:31
| Show all posts
Безусловно, самые практичные, это DMC. Но, в примитивах и подборах использую и другие, более дешевые нити. Главное, что бы были более-менее качественные. Нити из Walmart COATS вполне достойные внимания.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-18 01:58
| Show all posts
My experience is use DMC threads, I work for years with it, no problems.
Other threads can lost their colours, it ruiends your stitchingwork.
But I don't know, how much you can spend for threads. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-28 13:53
| Show all posts
I find the cheap brands are really ok. For any project. I'm more of a freelance stitcher. Lolol. I also love trying differant local spinners and weavers floss on offer.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-18 00:44
| Show all posts
I know this thread got bump by @Theevilcarot  but I just want to say thanks for the advice as I'm new to cross stitching.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-26 04:52
| Show all posts
Cheaper threads can also be painful if they don’t have any mer charts to compare to other brands

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:17
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 03:28
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-27 16:28
| Show all posts
Well, I really prefer to stitch with brand threads. I always stitch with DMC threads cause once I bought cheaper threads and they bleed and lost color when I washed my finished work :Q

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-27 17:52
| Show all posts
I find the cheaper threads split easier which is a pain when stitching :( I am lucky to have all DMC threads a couple of times over but that's because I go to Canada to see my son where they are a lot cheaper than here in the UK xxx but as said above the cheaper ones are good enough for cards and charity items and keep to the DMC for your own larger projects x

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-27 18:50
| Show all posts
I prefer Silk Thread -Sampler Thread or WDW-
never bought cheaper threads,
, because you don't know  which  properties they have,

for a picture at your home I suggest only to buy original threads

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-28 02:55
| Show all posts
Bleeding is only one problem with cheap threads. The feel is different and tends to be rough and unravel or break easier. The color is not true across the dye lot, which is fine with overdyed or variegated, but not with regular colors. The thread tends to be weaker and of lesser quality; it breaks and frays quicker and, if you make a mistake and have to rip it out, you cannot use it again like you can with branded thread. There is also the unevenness of the the way the thread is made - lumpy and coarse and not well made/spun.

I have tried other brands, but I prefer DMC and have for over 50 years when I first learned to embroider as a child. Trust what you know. You get what you pay for.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-3-28 07:21
| Show all posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Not sure what I should do with my cheap bag of thread now, guess I will keep it for back up.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-1 03:27
| Show all posts
Very nice thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-21 05:31
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 20:52 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064194 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list