Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2591|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] tip how to use 32 counts linen fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-1-11 08:41
| Show all posts |Read mode
this will be this will be my first time to use this kind of fabric. Most of the time I used 11 or 14 counts AIDA.  Any tips for starters here? Thank you!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-2-3 22:14
| Show all posts
When I first used linen I constantly counted holes because you have to skip one hole diagonally then the other way. Once you get the hang of it, it will be 2nd nature. Just practice.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-11 09:55
| Show all posts
Well, first of all, don't worry too much about it! I also switched from 14 Aida to 32-count, and it was not so bad. ;)

Then, get a good hoop or something else to help you keep the tension even on your fabric.
I personally find size 28 needles to work best with 32-count.
When stitching, pay attention not to pull your stitches too tightly.
Your stitches will look more plump than on a 14-count, but there is no need to be alarmed about it (although the knew look might take some time to get used to, or at least it did for me ;P ).
And count twice, stitch once: on linen you stich your crosses over 2 threads of fabric, and in the begining it might be good to pay special attention to it (I remember frogging more than once for a miscalculated stitch :L ).

Good luck with your work! :)

Comments

This is good sound advice. I like it.  Post time 2015-2-15 02:51
I use k's creation lapframe..   Details Reply Post time 2015-1-25 08:50

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
noone + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-28 00:20
| Show all posts
Linen/evenweave is PERFECT for patterns with quarter/3-quarter stitches.  I love using it, but now I have cataracts so not so easy.  Funny story - my first evenweave kit I didn't understand the difference from Aida so the finished project turned out tiny with a LOT of unused fabric!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-7 20:47
| Show all posts
I hate stitching on evenweave or linen - I hate the counting! :D the fabric is sooo soft, and as I don´t use a hoop it´s not nice to stitch on! But everyone has its favorite fabric, mine is Aida - the only thing I don´t like is dark fabric, can´t see the holes and I don´t want to work with a magnifier. Keep on going and have fun

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-17 04:45
| Show all posts
I only use linen or evenweave  ut always use good lighting and a magnifier. I have also had a pair of my prescription glasses coated to make them magnified, I can only use them when I am sewing lol, but a great help.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-12 22:48
| Show all posts
I only recently started with linens. I started with a dark blue fabric, and I'd recommend something lighter. As someone said earlier, good eyesight (or magnification) & adequate light are most helpful!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 00:56
| Show all posts
I went onto Amazon and bought some reading glasses in 4.0 and wish I had even gone a little higher. But I'm older and need reading glasses to begin with. I love stitching on linen ;)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 09:24
| Show all posts
The counting doesnt become an issue after a while. I much prefer the look and feel of evenweave or linen to aida, makes such a difference in the final product.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-17 10:00
| Show all posts
32 count is my favorite because it gives the piece such a finished look.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-11 10:25
| Show all posts
Stitching on 32 ct linen will be like stitching on 16ct aida, but as viragmezo said it's over two strands of material, up two, over two in the counting.
I always recommend starting with evenweave fabric to get used to the over two counting.  
I'm not a big fan of evenweave, but I did find the transition better when I finally went to linen with the slubs and uneven weave of the fabric.  
I only stitch with 28 size needles anymore for the ease of different fabrics not needling to find needles for each project!  :D
Hope this helps.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
noone + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-11 15:10
| Show all posts
If your eyesight isn't perfect for viewing up close, get a magifier to stitch with. And lots of good light!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-12 18:36
| Show all posts
Very nice thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-14 21:09
| Show all posts
Thanks for the advice. I think I might start my adventure with linen even today :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-15 16:22
| Show all posts
Wow, it seems a bit difficult. I was about to try it, but it seems that I'll still have to make preparations. Thanks for the tips!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-16 07:45
| Show all posts
Una vez que se acostumbra a la trama de la tela se hace fácilmente.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-25 08:48
| Show all posts
I love 32 count 2 over 2.. It has this nice effect on the design... I really love this for mirabilia and lavander& lace..

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-25 08:50
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
viragmezo

Login/Register to enlarge
2015-1-11 09:55

Well, first of all, don't worry too much about it! I also switched from 14 Aida to 32-count, and it  ...

I use k's creation lapframe..

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 08:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063273 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list