| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1465|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Is it normal for DMC to fray?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-6-1 14:05
| Show all posts |Read mode
Is it normal for the end of DMC floss to fray as you're stitching?  I mean at the tail end or excess that's threaded through the needle.  I hadn't cross-stitched in awhile, until a few months ago, but I don't remember this happening before.  I end up having to trim it every so often, and end up losing a bit of the length as a result.  Is it just me?

I am not using any sort of thread conditioner, would that help?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2015-6-1 19:56
| Show all posts
I use a wax disc to add "lubrication" to all my threads whatever brand/non-brand I'm using as well as using lengths no longer than 20 inches, this doesn't eliminate fraying but it does lessen the waste.

Karen :kiss:

Comments

does this affect the sheen or texture of the thread?  Details Reply Post time 2017-5-25 00:20
valuable tip will try that, i got loads of bees wax can put it to good use lol thanks  Post time 2015-6-2 15:27
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-7-9 15:25
| Show all posts
It can make them feel "SOFTER" but so much easier to use and any residue wax washes or irons out (cover with a clean damp cloth when ironing!) Also I only use a recommended disc such as Impex Bees Wax for Sewing/Embroidery or bees wax bar.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 00:20
| Show all posts

does this affect the sheen or texture of the thread?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-29 05:28
| Show all posts
Very common with DMC thread. Make sure that you are using thread lengths no longer than 18in/45cm. Keeping the tread short helps.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-23 18:00
| Show all posts
to me it usually happen with very light colors, no idea why...i also noticed light colors tend to tagle more

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 12:10
| Show all posts
for me it usually frays at the eye of the needle no matter what needle brand I use

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 02:59
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 23:57
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-1 15:20
| Show all posts
Try to use a shorter length of thread as it will fray being pulled through the fabric so many times.  Also you could try using a needle with a larger eye so that the needle makes a bigger hole in the linen for the thread to go through, causing less friction. I've noticed that even if I have 6 inches or so thread left after stitching a section, I cannot use it up elsewhere as it has gone fluffy where it has been lying though the needle.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-1 15:43
| Show all posts
yes, dmc does fray specially at the tips, no matter how long or short length i have tried, but saying that i have noticed its happening with anchor as well, so perhaps all companies are cutting corners

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-6-15 01:09
| Show all posts
I haven't noticed DMC fraying at all. Maybe it's because I use shorter lengths.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-13 05:50
| Show all posts
well, maybe it's really just the threads themselves... even 6 years ago I didn't notice the fraying, and I don't think that I was that blind. Now - yes, they do fray, for the last 3 years - 100%.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-13 07:30
| Show all posts
I seem to remember always having to trim the ends, if I unthreaded the needle to pick out a wrong stitch and then rethreaded it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-20 22:20
| Show all posts
I noticed that some colours do it more then others, don't know on what it depends. But agree, special wax or thread conditioner are really helpful, when I'm out -  shorter length and trimming the ends work good too

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-7-21 04:15
| Show all posts
Yes, it fray's now! It used to not as it was made better. I still have older DMC threads which don't fray, but any newer numbers purchased lately, a big YES! I've always been able to use whatever length I want with no problems, not anymore. I guess it pays to shop for older floss off of Ebay!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 07:49 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057583 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list