Forgot password?
 Register
View: 5537|Reply: 84
Collapse the left

Tips for Better Search Results

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-8-12 02:41
| Show all posts |Read mode
Keep searches simple. One or two words is all you need.

Do not use punctuation of any kind. (&  /  ' %  &  *  (  )  # @ !)

If you know the serial number of the pattern, you can usually (but not always) search with the number only.
This is why accurate titles are very important.

Keep in mind that the moderators do edit titles, however there are still quite a few threads that do not have complete or accurate titles.

For this reason, duplicates cannot be avoided 100% of the time. Use several different variations of the title. Only one search may not be enough to rule out a duplicate.

Examples

CCN Cottage Country Needleworks
LHN Little House Needleworks
ASN American School of Needlework

If you find the pattern has already been posted, you can still post it if you feel your scan is of better quality. Please notify the moderator that is what you are doing.

And remember:

When members want to post a single pattern from a magazine, be sure to search in the magazine section as well.  
If the entire magazine plus the individual charts from that magazine are posted there, then you cannot post the pattern in the scanned section.
If you do not specify which magazine the pattern came from, then your post will be deleted.

If you have anything to add to this post, please feel free to share.

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coin +22 Collapse Reason
leopard danio + 20 Usefull
chokocat + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2016-7-21 16:31
| Show all posts
thanks for the useful guide. but I got a duplicate again.

Yesterday, i posted one crochet pattern ab Smurf. Yes, i used different keywords: Smurf, Vanja Grundmann, AmigurumiBB ...
none of them show me the result. So i posted my pattern up.
and now Mod Leopard moved my post to Recycle again, with the title included all these keywords i searched  
http://bbs.pindiy.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=166841

So, is that an error from the site or my fault to not use the correct keyword???

ACtually, i really have no idea how to choose the right keyword. I look throughout my pattern to see if it contains any specific name, number, author.. of the pattern, and i searched, and it gave me free, and i posted, and my posted is duplicated, again and again..
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-12 17:16
| Show all posts

Newest patterns first!

Edited by AstroGirl at 2018-9-12 09:19

Hi! I've been in this forum for about one month, but yet cannot understand how to sort patterns. Could you please tell me how to sort the patterns by date ... I would like to see the newest first, not the last downloaded ones.  And is there any way to sort them out them by language in order to see only western language? Thank you ... I'm terribly confused!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-11 21:35
| Show all posts
Thanks for the advice on searching, I needed the whole "less is more" tip. I have come up empty handed several times when searching, then come across what I was looking for just browsing through collections, etc. I appreciate your advice, your post has proven very helpful to me as I am still learning and can use all the help I can get...lol

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-26 00:55
| Show all posts
Normaly I find what I want however sometimes I go to update a parttern search by autor, by the name, by the animal or type and dont returnecany results. I post and then is duplicated... I dont know why dont appear in my search before... Is bad because I have giving work to someone and in the end is not useful

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-28 07:18
| Show all posts
Is there a way to search in a specific category? For instance, I have a Winnie the Pooh knitting pattern. If I search for Winnie the Pooh, there are a lot of things but none seem to be knitting but is there a better way to tell than going through the loads of search results? Thanks for any help!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-14 09:48
| Show all posts
I have been searching for a specific pattern but I'm at a loss. I only have the picture. Is it alright if I post the picture in a new thread in the hopes that someone will recognize it and lead me to the original?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-5-13 19:54
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information, good for beginners.
But is it possible to post all the informations in a special dairy, name information dairy for example?
That is easy to find then in free talk. Just a tip.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-18 06:15
| Show all posts
This is very useful. One Question: Is it possible, if you find a pattern with a non-ideal title, to message a moderator with an improvement on just the title, even if I don't have a clearer scan?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-27 04:02
| Show all posts

I find the designers, what I do not understand is because it does not let me get them, how do I reach the other permissions?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-24 01:54
| Show all posts
Thank you for the clarification.  Is it possible to search within each catagory seperately?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 03:31
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for your very informative post.

I would like to ask something about patterns coming from very old magazines, that my mother used to collect (1950 or before), and I only have the name of the magazine, but not the date or number of the issue, can I upload repaints from this patterns?? I have repainted several of them; and I was thinking to share them,  in case that this is allowed. Thank you very much again.

Comments

This is allowed. The name of the magazine and approximate year would be helpful.  Post time 2015-8-12 06:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 03:42
| Show all posts
Thank you for this informative post! It's really helpful. By the way, what about books and individual patterns from books?

Comments

The rules apply to books as well as magazines. Individual patterns from magazines or books are not allowed in Knitting or Crochet, however.  Post time 2015-8-12 06:41
What? Searching for books and patterns? I was curious how or where to search for books.  Post time 2015-8-12 04:12

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 04:01
| Show all posts
Another thing that I have come across recently is letters with symbols, German comes to mind, where there are little o's above letters and such. That somehow seems to hamper the search. I searched with the properly spelled title and the pattern number and came up with nothing. So I posted the pattern just to have it recycled. The little symbols over the letter was the only thing different between the posts.
I always feel bad when I post a duplicate because I spend more time searching things then it takes to post....LOL
It happens.

Comments

Yes I agree that non-English names can be a problem.  Post time 2015-8-12 06:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 04:16
| Show all posts
Thank you, I needed some tips.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-8-12 06:42
| Show all posts
Edited by anniekins at 2015-8-11 18:56

Normally, with non-English patterns we ask that members give an English translation in addition to the original pattern name.

I also want to mention that single patterns from books or magazines in the Knitting and Crochet section are not permitted.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 11:01
| Show all posts
Soy nuevaen este foro...pero no quita que lo intentaré.
Gracias por su gran trabajo...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-12 22:06
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info...................

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-15 09:21
| Show all posts
Someone in the Bounty section was asking for a crochet afghan pattern.  I saw the pattern on eBay, but it had been torn out of the book that it was published in.  I thought it was a shame that the pattern couldn't be posted for the person wanting it, because the entire book wasn't available.  This was a month or so ago, so I don't even know if it's still there.

Comments

I am sure there is a good reason, and that's why I didn't acquire the pattern and try to post it here.  Details Reply Post time 2015-8-16 05:33
There is a very good reason why the rule is in place.  Post time 2015-8-15 22:47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-8-16 05:33
| Show all posts
Lakeland 2015-8-14 19:21
Someone in the Bounty section was asking for a crochet afghan pattern.  I saw the pattern on eBay, b ...

I am sure there is a good reason, and that's why I didn't acquire the pattern and try to post it here.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|www.pindiy.com

2018-12-13 05:37 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.062917 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, XCache On.

© 2009-2018 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list