View: 10346|Reply: 79
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] An Introduction to Blackwork Embroidery

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-7-25 16:17
| Show all posts |Read mode
How to do blackwork
Taken from Needlework tips and techniques

As a beginner there are various questions you may want to ask. For example do you start with the outlines or the fill patterns?

Outlines
Getting those outlines in place first is the best place to start. If you are a keen cross stitcher this will probably seem backwards but when you think it through it makes sense. The outlines give you an edge to work up to when you fill the area with patterns. You don't need to count the number of repeats and work out where each one finishes, you just stitch until an outline stops you. Easy!

Some blackwork designs, however, don't use outlines.

Fill Patterns
Are you hesitant to try this type of embroidery because they look so complex?
Let me reassure you that they really aren't as difficult to stitch as you might think. Like everything in life if you have a plan to work to, things get a lot easier! I am going to share my plans with you over the next few pages and you will find that following a logical journey through the pattern makes it simple to stitch. Rather than jumping in with both feet take time to study a pattern before you start stitching it. Work out where the vertical, horizontal and diagonal lines go. See if there are any isolated stitches which can't be worked at the same time as the rest of the pattern. A little planning goes a long way to making blackwork simple and relaxing to stitch.

What stitch should I use for blackwork outlinesPersonal preference plays a part here. Ideally you would double running stitch (also known as Hobein stitch) as it gives a clean, sharp outline which looks the same on the back and front of the work.

However you could also use backstitch, but would get a thicker line on the back of your work. The main disadvantage of backstitch is that it tends to show through from the back when you turn a corner, especially if you are working on finer fabrics.

You can "cheat" a little and work a variation called running back stitch, shown in the diagram below, so that the shadowing at the corners is removed.

Blackwork pattern and toneAs most blackwork tends to be monochromatic, tonal contrast is essential. Using the right tones can make or break a design.  You could compare blackwork with a pen and ink drawing, where tones are built up with lines and cross-hatching. The darkest areas of a drawing may even be solidly inked in; an effect that can be imitated in a blackwork design by using cross stitch. The lightest areas, by comparison, can be left completely empty.  Generally if the stitches in a pattern are close together it will appear darker than one where the stitches are spaced apart.  Some patterns need to be used in a large area for the full effect to be seen whilst others would take a long time to stitch if used for anything other than a small section of a design.

Example:
Arrows and Diamonds

To help you learn blackwork embroidery let's build your library of blackwork fill patterns worked in double running stitch.

This pattern is useful for small areas of a design, and gives a dark overall effect.  It doesn't have any obvious direction in its final appearance and can therefore be used in an area of any shape. If, however, it had been made up of distinctly vertical rows it would better in an upright shape rather than a horizontal one.  Try to keep the overall shape of the design section in mind when you choose your blackwork fill patterns to get the best effect.   This pattern is worked in vertical and horizontal rows. Start working it by following row 1 on the step by step diagram above. Each stitch is worked over 1 Aida block (as shown) or 2 evenweave fabric threads.  Starting with step 2 of the diagram I have coloured all the existing stitches in this pattern in black, with the new stitches for the current row in blue.  So for step 2 fill in the gaps with vertical stitches. Repeat these steps to fill the area with the first layer of the pattern.  For step 3 we will work horizontally by working diagonal stitches (again the current row is in blue). Be careful to stitch them in the right place, I can attest to the fact that it doesn't work too well otherwise!
Return as in step 4 to complete the pattern.

A free pattern for you to try out:
http://www.pindiy.com/thread-2942-1-1.html

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 4Gold Coins +11 Collapse Reason
MissPriss + 3 Thank you very much!
LadyDianaGoth + 1 Thank you very much!
biacl + 2 Thank you very much!
Ann + 5 Excellent

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2024-4-11 17:17
| Show all posts
Very useful information. I've been wanting to try the blackwork embroidery out for a while but I have too long cross stitch plans to finish. Hopefully next year I can try it out.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-24 05:37
| Show all posts
I can't wait to find a project that allows me to use these new tips - thank you so much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-15 02:18
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to put together this post. Great tips!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 07:02
| Show all posts
excellent tutorial, very helpful.  Thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-26 15:16
| Show all posts
        Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-5 04:27
| Show all posts
        ¡Muchas gracias!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-4 03:47
| Show all posts
        ¡Muchas gracias!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-24 15:21
| Show all posts
Thank you for the guide! Very helpful!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-12-7 14:12
| Show all posts
Muchas gracias por la información.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-28 21:23
| Show all posts
Great tips, thanks for posting!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-7-25 16:23
| Show all posts
It's so professional, Thank you for your sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-7-27 11:12
| Show all posts
thanks Jenny for the Blackwork Embroidery!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-9-28 23:35
| Show all posts
I have a lot of Blackwork patterns, but it's difficult to upload them because they are in pdf or jpg format

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-9-29 00:25
| Show all posts
I have a lot of Blackwork patterns, but it's difficult to upload them because they are in pdf or jpg format
MACA Post at 28-9-2009 12:35

You can put into a zip or rar file and then upload here, but the forum support this kind of file ...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 02:59
| Show all posts
The thing I like best about blackwork is how quickly it works up. The filling patterns make a project finish up very quickly

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-6-2 10:41
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for this info.  Very helpful to me as I am attempting my first blackwork project.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-10-7 05:19
| Show all posts
Great info, so helpful. Thank you very much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-10-8 00:43
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-10-10 21:39
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing this explanations and the link
Have a nice day

Betty

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-17 03:56 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.080969 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list