| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 3668|Reply: 19
Collapse the left

[Crochet] How do you split worsted weight yarn?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-8-10 10:35
| Show all posts |Read mode
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but....I have a lot of worsted weight yarn in a very pale gray and found some patterns that I can try with this color but I need the yarn to be thinner. How do YOU split the yarn? I have tried many times just to end up with two tiny balls and a huge knot connected to the main skein!
Thank you!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2018-3-7 02:49
| Show all posts
I wouldn't recommend splitting plys in commercial yarn.  A lot of the time it has been chemically treated to maintain it's shape so as you untwist a yarn, it wants to go back to what it was. Unplyed, it will be a tangled mess, even if you manage to knit something, it will be twisted up.  I don't think it's worth all the time it would take to unply the yarn when your time could be better spent sourcing yarn in the same color in the weight you want (there are so many yarns out there) and knitting it up.  Just my two cents.
If it's handspun on the other hand, go for it. It will take a lot of time but hey, it's handspun.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-14 14:18
| Show all posts
I wouldn't try to do this. The structure of the yarn is held together by the plies. Even if you manage to separate the plies, you will end up with an unbalanced yarn that will fall apart more easily and you're more likely to just end up with a tangle.

Comments

Muchas gracias por compartir  Post time 2023-1-17 09:13
Hi, thanks for the advice. Welcome to the site!  Details Reply Post time 2020-12-15 18:35

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-25 07:50
| Show all posts
It takes a lot of time and patience. I will make a ball with the smaller strand that I am removing so that I can weave it as it separates. Only work small lengths at a time or it will tangle. It will take a day, sometimes two, to split one small skein.

Comments

Wow, that actually sounds horrible! Ha Ha! Thanks for your help.  Post time 2018-2-26 00:54

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2020-12-15 18:35
| Show all posts

Hi, thanks for the advice. Welcome to the site!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-8-13 03:54
| Show all posts
you can not create, normally melts. If it is too thick, I would spend it to make a basket, carpet ... a case ... something that comes in handy to be stronger and more rigid

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-7-29 01:21
| Show all posts
I usually take both ends and hold them up and let the ball unwind little by little it is very tedious

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-4-2 06:24
| Show all posts
I had the same question!  Thanks for asking and everyone for providing your advice!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-7-27 10:59
| Show all posts
I wouldn't do this, but curious if you managed to do so.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-2-17 03:41
| Show all posts
I’d like to know about this too

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-10-5 18:03
| Show all posts
thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-8-24 06:02
| Show all posts
thank you!!!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 04:25
| Show all posts
good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-20 05:59
| Show all posts
Thank you!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 17:46 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.068867 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list