Register
View: 290|Reply: 5
Collapse the left

Debunking the Lies of Pattern Makers

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-2-23 02:39
| Show all posts |Read mode
tabberone.com/Trademarks/CopyrightLaw/Patterns.shtml

Thought y'all would be interested in this!  I posted another thread about some of the ridiculous rules that The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery had for their patterns.  I thought the one about not selling anyting you make was odd, and it turns out that was a lie.  Once someone sells the pattern, they can't say anything you do with what you sell.  They have a claim to the printed material, but after they sell it to you, they have no control over what you do with the finished product or any hard copy actually.

You don't even have to buy the pattern from them.  For example, you can make anything that you find in a book at the library.  No permission needed.  Magazines are also at the library, and some have extensive collections of patterns.  Our library comes with people that teach you how to do them.  lol  I am not sure this counts as a library, though.  If only one person at a time could see the file...maybe? And for regular single patterns, nothing is stopping people from putting them in or getting them from something like a yard sale.  

I'm digressing.  lol  Anyway, I thought this was informative.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
Frizzle12 + 2 Usefull

View Rating Log

Post time: 2017-2-25 08:02
| Show all posts
I don't listen to them. If I have a pattern and I make it, I will sell it.

Comments

If I had time to make everything, I would, too!  Post time 2017-2-25 08:35
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-2-23 12:39
| Show all posts
That's great news ! I did not understand those rules so it is good to know they are just bullying tactics Thank you for playing detective for us !

Comments

I read an odd rule on a crochet one. It's made out of African Flowers. Rule: Do not make this pattern with an alternate hexagon motif. What if I hate African Flowers? I call bs on that one, too!  Post time 2017-2-23 13:32
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-10 13:35
| Show all posts
you can't sell the pattern but anything you make from it is yours to sell. even if they say you can't you can. the law only covers the actual written pattern
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 21:49 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.078937 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list