Register
Search
View: 636|Reply: 17
Collapse the left

Are your real life friends crafters?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-3-8 10:07
| Show all posts |Read mode
I have a couple of crafty friends, but when we all became adults, we ended up moving off.  One is across the country, and one is on the other side of the world.  No one to craft with!  Do you get to socialize and craft?  I wish I knew of some crafty gathering here.  I tried to get a church craft group together, and it only lasted one meeting.  lol  

Post time: 2017-10-9 03:04
| Show all posts
Most of my friends are crafters...knitters, pretty much.  I joined Ravelry years and have made long distance as well as local friends with people there.  I am in two knitting guilds.  One is near where I live, the other is about an hour away.  Each one meets once a month.  I've been in the one that is farther away since about 2 months after its inception, which was in 1988!  I met the person who turned out to be my best friend ever, a lifelong friendship until she died a couple of years ago.  She was my mother's age, but our friendship transcended age.  I miss her every day.  She was a knitter and we had so much fun together.

I have made some friends through contacts at yarn shops.  I think the best way to make connections is to find places where you know that people with that shared (or those shared) interests will turn up sooner or later.  Yarn shops, bead shops, and shops catering to those who do needlepoint, cross-stitch, and embroidery seem like good places to start, depending on what you do.

I know that all of the yarn shops around here have classes and most have a time every week when people get together to do what they do and share and commune.  Yarn shops do this because it is a main way to boost yarn sales, but the shops I know don't require that you buy every time you attend one of those meetups.  

I've also made friends with those shared interests when I've gone to conferences for needleworkers, which is what I mostly do. Some of those folks I've met there I've been friends with for decades!  

If you do any kind of textile-related crafts, I highly recommend Ravelry for meeting people.  I have friends in a number of other countries around the world because of my membership there, and some of them are even local to where I live.  One Ravelry friend is soon coming to get a loom I'm giving her that was my late mother's.  I'm not a weaver!

Good luck with your search for kindred spirits!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-27 22:40
| Show all posts
I would suggest you check with your local library to see if they have any groups that meet there.  We have 3 libraries in our area that has different groups such as painting, crocheting, knitting and quilting.  All classes at the libraries are usually free and the people are very helpful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-12 13:27
| Show all posts
At one point i was going to a crocheting group and I had fun we would crochet and just talk about anything. But i had to stop going because i didn't have anyone to watch my kids and the days I did take them they would just keep telling me they were bored and keep asking me when we would be going home. I miss it.

Comments

I know I can't take mine yet if I did have something like it. Sounds wonderful!  Post time 2017-3-12 15:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-8 15:22
| Show all posts
I have a few friends that like to go craft store hopping with me and we sometimes get the same projects but we rarely work on them together.  Another friend has invited me to join her church craft group but I haven't gone yet.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-8 08:07
| Show all posts
I'm pretty sure this makes me a huge jerk but I've met a couple crafty people in real life and we just didn't get on. I mean, we are friendly when we see each other but I have no desire to plan anything with them or anything. Maybe I just stitch better alone.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-2 18:45
| Show all posts

I'm in the same boat!  None of my family/friends are into crafts of any kind.  If it weren't for online communities I'd really be alone

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-9 16:19
| Show all posts
Well Sundrop. if  they  didnt want to do one morfe craft session with you  They dont know what there missing... hee hee...  Your awesome... \lol

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-25 05:05
| Show all posts
I don't in my town I live in. I've tried setting up craft get togethers but no one ever shows up. So I have a lot of craft community friends online I love to craft with and share photos

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-8 16:01
| Show all posts
I wish I had more crafting friends. Some of them are interested but have no time. I have one friend who does woodwork. I really should join the local fiber arts group.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-22 00:48
| Show all posts
none of my friends like to craft . I , on the other hand am completely in LOVE with yarn .
I just wish I had the resources to buy all of the yarn and floss

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-8 23:35
| Show all posts
No crafty friends here   Would be fun to have a group of friends to hang out with that "get" my love of thread

Comments

The only person I know personally that does is my mother-in-law. lol She's like me and will hoard thread. My mom is also crafty, but she's practical. Only buys what she needs!  Post time 2017-3-9 21:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-9 08:49
| Show all posts
Nope, I'm the only one

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-3-9 21:40
| Show all posts
I don't understand how some people don't craft!  I know people whose only hobby is their smart phone!  

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 17:06 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.087060 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list