Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
Author: threadbare
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Dying with crepe paper and salt

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-10-10 14:17
| Show all posts
Oooh!! Thanks for the idea. :) I'll try that on my next little project. :)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-9 22:25
| Show all posts
This is all excellent info for dying. Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-10 08:27
| Show all posts
Thank you all for the great tips!  I think I will try to dye some of my own fabric instead of buying it.  It's very expensive and this sounds pretty simple.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-10 08:30
| Show all posts
rafahubner replied at 2011-6-15 19:43
I dyed with acrilic paint, it looks really great. Just added the paint with some hot water and let t ...

I have lots of acrylic paints, but I never thought of using them to dye fabric  I'll have to give that a try.  Thanks for the tip!

Comments

Acrylic paint is a surface paint, not a dye. This means that it sits on the surface of the item it is applied to. When you dilute it down in water, the fine particles of the pigment soak into the thr  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-11 15:42

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-11 01:09
| Show all posts
Thanks.  Will have to try this sometime!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-11 15:42
| Show all posts
seb0357 replied at 2013-5-10 08:30
I have lots of acrylic paints, but I never thought of using them to dye fabric  I'll have to give  ...

Acrylic paint is a surface paint, not a dye. This means that it sits on the surface of the item it is applied to.  When you dilute it down in water, the fine particles of the pigment soak into the threads of the fabric, and then when it dries they just sit there.

A dye on the other hand chemically bonds with the item it is used on, so if you fix it correctly (vinegar/citric acid is a common fixative for some kinds of dyes, especially those made to work on animal fibers) then the color is permanant.

In a piece of needlework, it may not be THAT big an issue since the finished item doesn't get laundered regularly the way a hand knit item like socks or a clothing item might, so acrylic might be ok. I have no idea about if it will cause any sort of reaction with the threads and fabrics though, so I'd be cautious about using any method that leaves free pigment that is not bonded with the fibers in the thread for a piece that you're wanting to be of heirloom quality.

Comments

Thanks tcca! I didn't think about that. Just when I read the reply about the acrylics, I thought IF I ever run out of fabrics, I could experiment. I think I'm good as far as fabric goes for a LONG  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 01:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-12 01:11
| Show all posts
tcca replied at 2013-5-11 02:42
Acrylic paint is a surface paint, not a dye. This means that it sits on the surface of the item it ...

Thanks tcca!  I didn't think about that.  Just when I read the reply about the acrylics, I thought IF I ever run out of fabrics, I could experiment.  I think I'm good as far as fabric goes for a LONG time now! LOL!

Comments

Yes you are! You can feel free to start destashing some of it in my direction any time ;)  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 03:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-12 03:39
| Show all posts
seb0357 replied at 2013-5-12 01:11
Thanks tcca!  I didn't think about that.  Just when I read the reply about the acrylics, I thought ...

Yes you are! You can feel free to start destashing some of it in my direction any time ;)

Comments

When I find everything that I have scattered every where, I might could part with a few things! LOL!  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 04:07

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-12 04:07
| Show all posts
tcca replied at 2013-5-11 14:39
Yes you are! You can feel free to start destashing some of it in my direction any time ;)

When I find everything that I have scattered every where, I might could part with a few things! LOL!

Comments

BTW.. how goes your sampling for the ink circles? I got my dye yesterday to dye my floss  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 11:14
LOL! Remember, I like 28 count, but I'm not picky I'll take any fabric  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 11:14

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-12 11:14
| Show all posts
seb0357 replied at 2013-5-12 04:07
When I find everything that I have scattered every where, I might could part with a few things! LO ...

LOL! Remember, I like 28 count, but I'm not picky :D I'll take any fabric :D

Comments

I'm going to have to have a big sale and get some bigger thread counts so that I can see it!  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-12 11:18

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 16:30 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.165114 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list