Register
View: 428|Reply: 27
Collapse the left

Question about selling your works.

[Copy link]
Pindiy
Pindiy  Post time 2017-9-30 23:45 |Read mode
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering, I have made a lot of stitchingworks for myself, as a present or stitching a kit for others.
In the years you make these works, never mind what it is, cross-stitching, knitting, crochet or something else.
Do you keep all your works, sell it, or give it away as a present.
I made some works towels, cards and stitchingwork all I gave it away, to people who appriciate my work.
I'm interessing in it, I hope you will give me a answer.
Thank you very much.

Comments

Old topic  Post time 2017-11-3 11:42

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-10-2 16:04
| Show all posts
I only do cross stitch so don't know what the market would be for selling knitting and crochet but if it's garments I think people would pay to get a nice hand made sweater or scarf etc.  As for cross stitch there's so much work involved  and it takes so long that I really don't think you would ever get back even a fraction of what the piece is worth - even if it's small, everything takes time.  Plus I don't think people really appreciate the work that goes into a cross stitch - they think you can make something in a few weeks!  So I just make things for myself and occasionally I'll make a card for someone.

Comments

I do it also, for myself and my dad, only a Christmascard for the one I love. Your own work will not be finished, and the one who asked you wanted for free or a apple and a egg.  Post time 2017-10-5 22:33
I know exactly what you mean!! A friend of mine asked me to stitch a Heaven and Earth Design for her which is huge and thought it would take me about 3 months to do - I told her it would probably tak  Details Reply Post time 2017-10-5 22:01
Yes I agree, I give you a example, a neighbour asked me to stitch The Balinese Woman, in a month, out of her mind. I took me a year. Later she said it cost to much linnen and the threads.  Post time 2017-10-5 17:04
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-5 22:01
| Show all posts
spacecadet2015 2017-10-2 16:04
I only do cross stitch so don't know what the market would be for selling knitting and crochet but i ...

I know exactly what you mean!!  A friend of mine asked me to stitch a Heaven and Earth Design for her which is huge and thought it would take me about 3 months to do - I told her it would probably take a couple of years!!  And when I told her how much the materials would be she looked at me as if I was crazy!  So I didn't stitch it for her!

Comments

Great dission.  Post time 2017-10-5 22:29

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 02:26
| Show all posts
I've always stitched for myself or for friends and family.  Someone did ask me a while ago if I would sell my work, but I've never thought about it seriously.  You spend so much time even on a small project that you could never make a living from it considering the hours of work but I suppose if you cover the costs of your materials with a little bonus on top it can make it worth selling. At least you are making more people happy with your work!!!

Comments

Indeed you are right, thanks for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:43

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 06:13
| Show all posts
I've often wondered that too about selling my stitching work, but then I don't think you could sell it for the amount of time and effort put in. That's why so many of my completed projects are still in my linen cupboard I have given some cards away as gifts though

Comments

I agree with you, people don't know how many hours you stitched in a stitchingwork. Thanks for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:46

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-2 11:48
| Show all posts
I give away most of what I make, I don't have much space to store things but I like making things so I give them away. The only thing I haven't given away is a really big cross stitch that I did, if anyone expressed an interest in it then I would give it to them though.

Comments

That is very nice of you, selling your work is not easy, people want to give so much money for it. We say always for a apple and a egg, that means almost notting. Thank you for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-2 18:50

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-3 07:07
| Show all posts
I make things for myself, for gifts, and some to sell. I sew a lot and I make toys and other items for children to sell. It helps support my crafting habit!
My embroidery and cross stitching is mainly for myself or gifts.

Comments

Thank you cassie for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-5 22:34
Me also I cross-stitch for myself and make for Christmas some cards, always Permin they are expensive, but I do that only for people I love. Thanks for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-5 17:08

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 04:04
| Show all posts
Could never get enough money to warrant selling them.  Too much time and effort involved - it would not be something I enjoy, it would become a "job" just MHO.

Comments

I agree, thanks for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:44

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 08:41
| Show all posts
I both sell and give away my amigurumi. I have a little following of people who buy my artwork be it amigurumi or hand sewn mini teddy bears or softies.

Comments

Thank you very much for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 01:24
| Show all posts
I give most of mine away as gifts. Many, many years ago I would sell some of my work at craft sales, but haven't done that in a very long time.

Comments

Thanks for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 02:01

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 11:39
| Show all posts
Editado por amor puro en 2017-10-1 00:40

I starting giving always my work as presents and now, even though it is not my main job, i sell them

Comments

Thank you very much for your answer.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:49

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 01:11
| Show all posts
I embroider pictures mostly for myself )) Some I give to friends.

Comments

Thanks for your answer. Have a nice Sunday.  Post time 2017-10-1 02:01

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-1 11:08
| Show all posts
Most of mine donated out for charity sell .

Comments

That is a great idea, you make other people happy my compliments.  Post time 2017-10-1 19:48

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|www.pindiy.com

2018-12-15 01:47 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.053411 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, XCache On.

© 2009-2018 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list