Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 892|Reply: 14
Collapse the left

Finishing Cross Stitched Christmas Stockings

[Copy link]
PinDIY
PinDIY  Post time 2017-10-2 04:28 |Read mode
Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to finish a cross stitched Christmas stocking?  I have just finished stitching a stocking that came from a kit.  The kit included a piece of felt for the back of the stocking and that was it.  I'm thinking that a cross stitched stocking should be lined so anything put in the stocking won't catch on the stitches.  I'm also wondering if the cross stitching should be backed with some type of interfacing so make it firmer.

Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!  After spending so much time on the cross stitch I really want to be sure that I put the stocking together correctly.

Thanks!

Comments

Old topic  Post time 2017-11-23 09:20

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +6 Collapse Reason
ldwire + 6 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-10-2 23:02
| Show all posts
I am now on my third stocking I backed it with very light weight iron on interfacing then hemmed top. I then used cotton fabric in a matching colour to make the back I hemmed the top first laid and pinned  them together  and stitched it with my sewing machine trimmed it as close as I dared and turned it out worked for me. If anyone has a better way please let me know.

Comments

I just did interfacing on the back of the cross stitch and they were holding there shape nice but I know my son's partner just hangs them up they were not used to put anything in them so l'm not sure  Details Reply Post time 2017-10-3 16:22
I like this idea. Did you use interfacing on the back too? or does just using it on the front give it enough body that it doesn't lose it's shape? Thanks.  Post time 2017-10-3 05:58

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
StitchyWitchy + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-2 07:26
| Show all posts
Thanks so much for asking this question! I have wanted to stitch stockings for the grandkids but wasnt sure how to finish them to hold up over the coming years. Im looking forward to the responses!

Comments

I'm looking forward to hearing what people have done too. I did see a youtube video tonight where they used iron on interfacing on the cross stitched part. I might try it with a sample.  Post time 2017-10-2 07:50
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-2 20:41
| Show all posts
Unable to help you as I have stitched one too, but I don't know how to sew it !!! I'm waiting with you if someone can help us

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-2 23:41
| Show all posts
There are several videos on you tube if you use the search terms:- making sewing lined christmas stockings.  I used a method which means that no raw edges are exposed, you have to attach the lining, cut to the same size as the stocking and the backing, to the tops of the stocking, sew the seams leaving a gap and then turn the lining inside out and insert into the stocking.  It's best if you watch a video, then it makes more sense.  Happy stitching!!!

Comments

Thnak you very much for the informations. I'll have a look on the severol videos.  Post time 2017-10-4 00:18
Hi SallySue Yes I did use interfacing, and you're right that it gives added stability. It seems to give your stitching a more elegant finish and more weight. I usually use a medium weight fusible in  Details Reply Post time 2017-10-3 06:25
Pretty much what I was thinking needs to happen. Did you use any kind of interfacing in yours to give it more stability?  Post time 2017-10-3 05:55

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +8 Collapse Reason
ALVAR + 8 <font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">¡Muchas gracias!</font></font>

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-3 06:25
| Show all posts
magenta13 2017-10-2 16:41
There are several videos on you tube if you use the search terms:- making sewing lined christmas sto ...

Hi SallySue  Yes I did use interfacing, and you're right that it gives added stability.  It seems to give your stitching a more elegant finish and more weight. I usually use a medium weight fusible interface but it pretty much depends on your preference for handling qualities.  Hope that helps.

Comments

Thanks. It does help. I'm heading to the store to pick up some medium weight interfacing. That is a good suggestion. I have some light weight but don't think that will provide enough body.  Post time 2017-10-3 10:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-3 16:22
| Show all posts
gemmasmum1956 2017-10-2 15:02
I am now on my third stocking I backed it with very light weight iron on interfacing then hemmed top ...

I just did interfacing on the back of the cross stitch and they were holding there shape nice but I know my son's partner just hangs them up they were not used to put anything in them so l'm not sure how well they would hold up. I just didn't like the felt thought it was a bit shabby compared to the rest I have another one half stitched I will take photos as I go to give you a better idea what I did.

Comments

Thanks. That is very nice of you!  Post time 2017-10-4 05:11

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-4 04:55
| Show all posts

bvlgari replica Answer

roasted or extruded, What are the roles of the walt disney's 100 years of magic 164 discs collection dvd box set master process and the slave process? Answer: engineering geology geology scientific theory applied to engineering van cleef knockoff practice. van cleef replicas the first law and the law is yeti rambler tumbler the law promulgated in the world.
   with the guidance of product design theory of value engineering. The cabinet of the leather products must be kept yeti cup ventilated, Thank you!fifth chapter building heating What are the factors that fjallraven kanken laptop 13 affect the heat transfer coefficient of 5-1 and radiator is to deepen and improve the classroom content; but the Mathematical Olympiad juste un clou knock off is more and the classroom kanken big backpack mathematics does not seem detached. do with the methodological function of social systems research methods? need some help need some help 18. the following one to share.

?TOPIC_ID=24220

?id=4773

?tid=10505&ds=1

?mod=viewthread&tid=242266&fromuid=2733

?uid=62537&do=blog&id=11459

?TOPIC_ID=407330

?aid=1265

?uid=2157&do=blog&id=5862

?aid=13149

?aid=501

?mod=viewthread&tid=82049&pid=139463&page=1&extra=page=1#pid139463

?mod=viewthread&tid=19&pid=15306&page=98&extra=page=1#pid15306

?61035.last

?tid=5139

?aid=47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-23 00:54
| Show all posts
I use interfacing when finishing mine. I also spraybwih scotch Guard to prevent discoloration and stains

Comments

The Scotch Guard is a clever idea!  Post time 2017-10-23 20:58

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 21:50 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.227120 sec., 27 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list