Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 681|Reply: 27
Collapse the left

November Chit Chat

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-11-7 22:59
| Show all posts |Read mode
Is anyone interested in a chit-chat thread?

What projects are you working on?
Are you making plans for Thanksgiving?
Post time: 2017-11-16 03:19
| Show all posts

I have never heard of Black Peter either so I find it most interesting.  I agree that here it would be considered racist for sure.  England has Golly (not related to the holidays), a very cute black doll.  When I grew up I had the story book "Little Black Sambo" and I LOVED it.  Never saw ANYTHING racist about it - it was a charming story of a little boy in the jungle who turned a bad tiger into butter!  I do not see that story book in publication today and if it were I'm sure someone would rewrite it to take out "black".  We also have many very poor families here that get have little or no money, especially for presents.  When I was working we had a "giving" tree.  One could choose a card off the tree and fill the list for a family in need. I always found it amazing how someone would say they wanted to help then when they saw the list they'd become angry because an 8 year old asked for a Nintendo (expensive item).  But, why wouldn't an 8 year old want the same thing that every other 8 year old wants - they're kids, they just want to fit in and perhaps get something they'd love to have.  It is so sad.  I don't have lots of money but I do have some time so I try to volunteer, cooking, delivering, whatever I can.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-9 02:44
| Show all posts
Sylvana

Login/Register to enlarge
2017-11-8 18:55

I live in the Netherlands, we have no Thanksgiving, but Santa Claus that is a man very very old and  ...

Hello Sylvana,
I love learning of others traditions. You intrigued me I had never heard of black Peter. So I had to  investigate. I love historical traditions, it is probably a good thing we did not have this tradition. I am sure it would be considered racist and be a hot topic on the news and then turned into a political mess, like our historical statues.
Do the decorations in the Netherlands include black Peter in them? Do Christmas stitching patterns?

I agree it is very sad that many do not have the opportunity to enjoy the holiday like others.
I hope that those with little money and presents can have love and happiness with the ones around them. I always try and donate food to someone that really needs it. Unfortunately in my area there are many that take advantage of charity and really do not need it, they just want something for free or more than they have. It is hard to find someone that is truly in need.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-11 00:27
| Show all posts
Hi StitchFairy and everyone,
Yes, let's chit-chat : )  
My current knitting project is a Veronika Cardigan for myself.  I rarely make a adult-sized patterns but how many shawls/cowls/neckwarmers/scarves etc. can one woman have, lol.  

Thanksgiving, my husband will make the traditional turkey with all the trimmings (I don't cook) but it will be a small dinner since our family is small and spread out across the country.

I make at least one new decorative Christmas item every year depending on which craft I'm into at the time.  After 30+ years they've added up so I've been slowly shipping them down to my daughter's family.  I haven't decided what to make this year so it's a good excuse to visit the new Michaels craft store for "inspiration".  We retired to a pretty rural area so ANY new store is a really big deal!  Not quite used to country living yet...

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-7 23:49
| Show all posts
Hello sundrop016,
I am from Indiana. Thanksgiving will be at home, dinner of Ham, potatoes green beans, dressing, rolls and maybe a cake. I am a cross stitcher mostly, I can knit (dish cloths , lol) and crochet ( I have done blankets and hats for charity) But my love is cross stitch. How cool that is that you are Santa and Mrs.Claus!! I bet that is very fun! You make the littles happy and keep the spirit of Christmas alive. I just finished the stitching on a ornament for a exchange and have to fully finish it. Tonight I think I will start on a pattern of a Santa beekeeper ornament it is for my secret swap partner. Then I want to work on a chart of a little red truck with the Christmas tree. Just never enough time to stitch all the things!!I am a computer "geek" by profession so I get to work 40++ hours at that to keep the lights on.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-8 18:55
| Show all posts
Edited by Sylvana at 2017-11-8 12:10

I live in the Netherlands, we have no Thanksgiving, but Santa Claus that is a man very very old and lives in Spain with his helper black Peter. Once a year he is comming to the Neherlands to give presents to the kids at the 5th of December. The parents buy the presents for the kids, but the kids believe in Santa Claus and black Peter. Some adults give eachother also presents on this day but it's a kids party.
We have Christmas of course, and adults give presents also to eachother, that is a choise.
But we have here poor people and those kids get notting or some from charity, that is so sad.
With Christmas they have no Chrismas tree and notting extra's to eat because there is no money, yes that happens.
When these children go back to school, they can't say look what I got from Santa, that is very sad.

Comments

I have never heard of Black Peter either so I find it most interesting. I agree that here it would be considered racist for sure. England has Golly (not related to the holidays), a very cute black d  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-16 03:19
Hello Sylvana, I love learning of others traditions. You intrigued me I had never heard of black Peter. So I had to investigate. I love historical traditions, it is probably a good thing we did not h  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-9 02:44

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-9 02:52
| Show all posts
Happy Wednesday (humpday).  We finally have sunshine today!! YIPEEE!
I am anxious to get home and stitch on my beekeeper manta ornament this evening.I also want to work on my thread cabinet, so I may do that for a little while. I ordered some threads from Aliexpress and I need to get them put away. I really like them, I thought they were CXC but after getting them I realized I ordered a mixed lot. They are still very nice and close matches to DMC and a bargain.
I need to stop at the market for a few things on my way home and make dinner. I am struggling to plan dinner, I am bored of our normal stuff and just feel like I have no ideas for good dinners. Ideas are welcome
Hope you have sunshine today and are having a great day!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-8 05:05
| Show all posts
Thanksgiving will be just my hubby and me.  Children are all either working or far away.  I've already ordered my frozen dinner from Shoprite - can't see cooking a big meal for just the two of us.  I'm finishing the last of three sweaters (identical) for my two great-granddaughters and the one due on 12/26.  My granddaughter like to dress them alike.  I have a batman blanket to finish for my great-grandson, then knitting for the next great-grandson due in March.  Another great-grandchild due in May but too early to know the sex just yet.  Seems I never get time to knit for myself these days :-(

Comments

Wow you are busy knitting for all those little ones, but I bet that brings lots of joy to them and you! It is just the two of us for Thanksgiving also. I plan to make my ham and veggies in the electri  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-9 02:30

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-7 23:20
| Show all posts
that's what this is  Its a chit chat room.  Thanksgiving we will be with family in NY. Where  are you from?  I'm a knitter and a crocheter and I'm working on a pair of santa wraps (lack of a better word) that go at the top of your boots.  I also have a  Christmas blanket in progress  but should be done by now,  .but I keep working on different things, LOL. I'm trying to make a Santa face for the back of the toilet. We are big on Santa as you can see My husband is a professional Santa and I'm Mrs Claus.

Comments

A professional Santa and Mrs. Claus! Now that sounds like fun Do you work together?  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-11 00:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-10 07:24
| Show all posts
StitchFairy

2017-11-10 07:08

MadCatter,
I just uploaded a Santa with a surf board , it is awaiting approval. It is a Mill Hill  ...

Wonderful, I'd love to stitch that, Thanks!!

Most people here celebrate Christmas too, some even do Halloween but that is only because the shops have been pushing it for sales for years. It's rare for anyone to do anything more than dress up tho so most houses wouldn't be prepared with candy etc.  My family celebrates the Winter Solstice aka Yule (longest night / shortest day) on May 21/22nd

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
StitchFairy + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-10 07:08
| Show all posts
MadCatter

2017-11-10 03:47

I'm in New Zealand and we celebrate the Summer Solstice on the 21/22 then Christmas on the 25th. I d ...

MadCatter,
I just uploaded a Santa with a surf board , it is awaiting approval. It is a Mill Hill ornament.
It would be very different to celebrate Christmas in the summer   So do many not have Christmas in December? Is there a winter celebration that you have, when we have 4th of July?

Comments

Wonderful, I'd love to stitch that, Thanks!! Most people here celebrate Christmas too, some even do Halloween but that is only because the shops have been pushing it for sales for years. It's rare fo  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-10 07:24

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-11-9 02:30
| Show all posts
TheKnitter

2017-11-8 05:05

Thanksgiving will be just my hubby and me.  Children are all either working or far away.  I've alrea ...

Wow you are busy knitting for all those little ones, but I bet that brings lots of joy to them and you! It is just the two of us for Thanksgiving also. I plan to make my ham and veggies in the electric pressure cooker this year. I am loving that thing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-10 03:47
| Show all posts
Edited by MadCatter at 2017-11-10 04:02

I'm in New Zealand and we celebrate the Summer Solstice on the 21/22 then Christmas on the 25th. I didn't do Christmas until recently so am only just starting to collect decorations for that and it's difficult because most are Winter themed!

Comments

MadCatter, I just uploaded a Santa with a surf board , it is awaiting approval. It is a Mill Hill ornament. It would be very different to celebrate Christmas in the summer So do many not have Chri  Details Reply Post time 2017-11-10 07:08

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 22:37 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.115826 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list