Register
View: 800|Reply: 21
Collapse the left

Japanese Knitting Stitch Patterns

[Copy link]
Share reward rankings
Post time: 2017-12-15 14:52
| Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone have any resources that they love?

Comments

Old topic  Post time 2018-2-10 23:01
Post time: 2017-12-29 06:42
| Show all posts
The books written by Hitomi Shida have some beautiful patterns.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-6 08:31
| Show all posts
How did you fall in love with Japanese stitch patterns?  

I remember seeing a pattern for a beautiful hat, the Tulip Grace Hat by Kitman Figueroa.  I'd only been knitting as an adult for maybe a year and a half.  I bought the pattern because the lace was so amazing and it was a small project.  By then I'd already been tricked into falling in love with lace, which is a whole story by itself.  I'd thought the hat would be easy and make a great gift.  Little did I know that I would be introduced into the world of lace with pattern rows on both sides.  It also used a Japanese stitch pattern...
I tend to look for patterns that I can learn new skills from or that are absolutely beautiful and will hold my attention, in the case of the lace shawls I knit so many of.  I started getting a little bored by the repetition in some of the patterns I usually came across in the shawls.  However, sometimes I'd see a shawl with an amazing and intricate stitch pattern that I didn't recognize, and I'd want to knit it.  I found out about Japanese stitch patterns, fell in love, took a couple of classes, and fell deeper in love with the complexity and beauty.  For me, Japanese stitch patterns are like soduko and brain-teasers for my knitter's brain.

What about you?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-7 06:33
| Show all posts
hoibonchen 2018-1-6 09:16
To be honest, my first Japanese patterns were for crochet, since I used to make a lot of crochet s ...

I've seen some absolute beautiful Japanese crochet patterns.  I've got one for a capelet that I want to make one day.  I can read a written crochet pattern, but not a charted one yet.  However, I prefer charted knitting patterns over written ones.  I love beautifully done charts.  Maybe I'll learn to read crochet charts this year, along with the other skills I plan to learn.  
I'm so happy you mentioned yesasia.com!  Thank you!  I forgot about that website; it's been years since I looked at it.  Are the Japanese books translated into Chinese language?  About 5 years ago, I saw a Chinese translation of the "Clear and Simple" book on Amazon (I think it was Amazon).
One of the things that I found so cool about some of the Japanese garment patterns I've seen was that they might have a drawn picture of the garment, with minimal pattern information and measurements written on it.  I realized that I'd really have to know what I was doing in order to successfully knit them.  I've also noticed minimal instructions in some of the European patterns I've read.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-3 08:35
| Show all posts
Edited by loveinspanish at 2018-1-2 16:47

Yes!  I looked through the book Hitomi Shida wrote and and Gayle Roehm translated, The Japanese Knitting Stitch Bible.  It's lovely!  I don't have it yet, but It's on the birthday list.  I actually took a class Gayle Roehm at Vogue Knitting Live, a number of years ago, on Japanese stitch patterns.  She's really nice and such a great teacher!  

I have two Japanese knitting books, one is a stitch pattern book, Treasury of Couture Patterns 250 by Nihon Vogue Sha, and the other is an illustrated techniques book that shows a visual representation of various symbols used in Japanese stitch patterns.  The techniques book is not the one I thought I was getting, both books were red and I got the wrong one.  The one I wanted was Clear & Simple Japanese Knitting Symbols Translated.  It's an awesome book that shows how the symbols are executed.  It's on the birthday list, too. ;)

Comments

Where did you see the book 'Clear & Simple Japanese Knitting Symbols Translated' ? I have the Hitomi Shida Patterns, but there isn't a key to the charts. Which means I have to guess what the stitches  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-5 05:31

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-7 01:16
| Show all posts
loveinspanish 2018-1-6 08:31
How did you fall in love with Japanese stitch patterns?  

I remember seeing a pattern for a beautif ...

To be honest, my first Japanese patterns were for crochet, since I used to make a lot of crochet stuff and I didn't even know that that beautiful lace was Japanese, I thought it was French, since the magazine was French. So many years later I've found out it was reprinted edition of Nihon vogue.
About 15 years ago, looking at different web albums, I bacame curious about Japanese patterns, mostly because I realy love charts and have enough experience in knitting to make pattern for my own size. I placed my first order with yesasia.com for 300 lace patterns (sorry, but I'm not allowed to post a link) and after the first one I've made a few orders from China, because books are the same, but the price was ridiculous ... for example, 6 books for less than 20 USD.

Comments

I've seen some absolute beautiful Japanese crochet patterns. I've got one for a capelet that I want to make one day. I can read a written crochet pattern, but not a charted one yet. However, I pref  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-7 06:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-6 07:56
| Show all posts
hoibonchen 2018-1-5 00:37
I have so many of them, I'm huge fan of Japanese patterns because I love charts and symbols. Some of ...

SERIOUSLY!  WOW!!  I had no idea about dangdang.com.  I'm going to check it out.  Thanks!
I remember deciding between the book with 1000 patterns and the book I bought.  I was looking for a specific pattern which is why I got the one I did.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-7 21:07
| Show all posts
loveinspanish 2018-1-7 06:33
I've seen some absolute beautiful Japanese crochet patterns.  I've got one for a capelet that I wa ...

The book I have from China are translated, but charts are the same as in Japanese edition. For example, 1000 patterns book was very expensive on Amazon.jp, it is still more than 50 USD, but only few dollars on dangdang 3 years ago.

Comments

That is amazing! How wonderful for you! I've got to check out dangdang.  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-8 13:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-5 05:31
| Show all posts
loveinspanish 2018-1-2 16:35
Yes!  I looked through the book Hitomi Shida wrote and and Gayle Roehm translated, The Japanese Knit ...

Where did you see the book 'Clear & Simple Japanese Knitting Symbols Translated' ?  I have the Hitomi Shida Patterns, but there isn't a key to the charts. Which means I have to guess what the stitches mean.

Comments

I found a website with beautiful patterns avercheva.ru if you use google chrome, they can be translated (somewhat). Most of them are charted so they can be figured out. There are over a thousand.  Post time 2018-1-6 08:43
I saw it on amazon and etsy, both around $22 USD. Oh man! Her patterns are so intense that I can't image trying to figure them out with no other resources. Wow!  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-6 07:54

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-6 07:54
| Show all posts
bevcustom 2018-1-4 13:31
Where did you see the book 'Clear & Simple Japanese Knitting Symbols Translated' ?  I have the Hit ...

I saw it on amazon and etsy, both around $22 USD.  Oh man!  Her patterns are so intense that I can't image trying to figure them out with no other resources.  Wow!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-5 16:37
| Show all posts
I have so many of them, I'm huge fan of Japanese patterns because I love charts and symbols. Some of my books were republished in China so I've got mine for a bargain! For example book with 1000 patterns was more than 50 USD on Amazon.jp, but only few USD on dangdang.com

Comments

SERIOUSLY! WOW!! I had no idea about dangdang.com. I'm going to check it out. Thanks! I remember deciding between the book with 1000 patterns and the book I bought. I was looking for a specific p  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-6 07:56

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-29 19:57
| Show all posts
yes,
the largest source are patterns by Hitomi Shida

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-6 02:07
| Show all posts
çok güzell

Comments

Evet katılıyorum  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-6 07:59

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

||||FAQ|||Dark room|||www.pindiy.com

2018-7-17 04:12 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063512 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2018 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list