[Copy link]
Pindiy
Pindiy  Post time 2018-1-4 06:33 |Read mode
do you strive for the perfect crosses, if yes share your method

Comments

Old topic  Post time 2018-2-19 22:03
Post time: 2018-1-4 09:57
| Show all posts
Absolutely!  Even if no-one else would notice, I would and it would annoy me.  Control freak!!  The thread gets twisted as you stitch so every so often I let the thread untwist itself, or do a quarter turn before stitching, or use the railroad method to ensure that the thread lies flat and not twisted.  Occasionally I would re-thread the needle after untwisting the thread.  You can use the needle point to gently separate the strands or untwist the single strand.

Another thing to watch is the direction of producing the stitch, the stitch could look odd if the thread appears to be elongated because the next stitch is in the direction of the stitch just made.  You can change the direction by using the entry hole opposite to the direction so that the stitch lies flat and appears even.  

Make sure you use even tension.  Like other sewing, stitching etc the tension needs to be even so that stitches don't appear to be too loose or too tight which would create holes.

Always ensure that the crosses are crossed in exactly the same way - ie the top cross stitch always lies either to the left or the right.  Be consistent.

Understand that the constant drawing of the thread through the fabric eventually damages the thread so don't have too long a thread.  It's better to use shorter threads so that the sheen of the thread isn't spoilt even though you will need to re-thread your needle more often.  Fluffy threads can spoil the overall look of the piece.

Use good lighting when stitching.   This saves your eyesight and shows up any problems.

Hope that  helps.  Happy stitching!!!

Comments

I agree, also control Freak :-)  Post time 2018-1-13 20:32
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-4 08:37
| Show all posts
Nope!!!  By the time a piece is completed, washed, ironed and framed who is going to notice if a stitch isn't perfect?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-4 09:42
| Show all posts
I do.  You have to notice the way the thread is turning when you go in one direction and try to turn your needle very slightly to stop the turning.  Also, after doing a number of stitches, you should take your needle down the thread to the fabric and straighten the threads out in the eye of the needle, especially if you have three or more threads, or your thread is especially long.  You can get beautiful coverage if you can get the hang of the turning.  I do this for any piece I'm planning to frame.  If it is for children, or a card, I don't put in this much effort.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-4 15:21
| Show all posts
I make sure the top of my stitching is perfect, i do railroad every few stitches, my stitches fall in the same directions, but there are some stitchers who would want their stitching at the back to look the same as in the front for that i am not honestly particular.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-10 17:35
| Show all posts
Edited by moniodojo_ at 2018-1-10 10:38

I use a hoop. The fabric may be very tight and when I pass the floss, I pull until it's fit to the fabric. Then, when I've finished the work, I remove the hoop, make a hand wash and iron it. I make the whole cross at once. I don't go back and forth. I always start the cross in down left corner.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-13 04:08
| Show all posts
apexmom 2018-1-4 09:42
I do.  You have to notice the way the thread is turning when you go in one direction and try to turn ...

Me gusta tu idea de no dejar retorcer el hilo, gracias por compartir.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-14 01:12
| Show all posts
No, only wash, and iron then framing.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

||||FAQ|||Dark room|||www.pindiy.com

2018-7-17 04:13 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.039069 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2018 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list