| | Promotion|
| | |

PinDIY

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 407|Reply: 8
Collapse the left

Jenny's Super Stretchy Bind Off (Jenny's SSBO)

[Copy link]
Pindiy
Pindiy  Post time 2018-1-6 14:52 |Read mode
Hi!

So, to date, I've lost 2 rounds of "yarn chicken" trying to bind off on my sweater project.  I'm determined to used Jenny's Super Stretch Bind Off.  It is really stretchy and bounces back nicely.  This project is my first time using it.  It requires that I do yarn overs while binding off each stitch.  It uses SO MUCH YARN!!  I had no idea how much yarn I'd need!  It needs WAAAAAY more than 3X the length of what I'm binding off.  So, I've had to rip out my ribbing and 2 rows of lace TWICE to get more yarn for the bind off!  Then reknit the ribbing and try to bind off again.  This time I've decided to just rip out 1 row of ribbing and start binding off all over again.  My sweater is getting shorter and shorter!  If I don't have enough yearn to bind off this time, I'm going to find me a new bind off that doesn't use as much yarn or go back to the one I use for my lace shawls.

Does anyone have a stretchy bind off they like to use for sweaters?   

Comments

Old/Solved topic  Post time 2018-6-11 23:20
Post time: 2018-1-6 14:56
| Show all posts
Jenny's SSBO seems to require about 15-20X the length of the what I'm TRYING to bind off, maybe more! (I may be exaggerating because I'm finally getting frustrated.)

Comments

Thank you! I think I may have used that bind off for a shawl; it seems familiar.... Since I've been knitting, I've knit more shawls than anything, that's how I know that I probably used it for a sha  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-15 12:43
I use this bind-off, which is stretchy, but I cannot tell you if it uses more yarn or not.It is fairly simple: K first st, *slip to left needle, K 2 st together through back loop, repeat from *.  Post time 2018-1-14 14:27
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-15 12:43
| Show all posts
loveinspanish 2018-1-5 22:56
Jenny's SSBO seems to require about 15-20X the length of the what I'm TRYING to bind off, maybe more ...

Thank you!  I think I may have used that bind off for a shawl; it seems familiar....  Since I've been knitting, I've knit more shawls than anything, that's how I know that I probably used it for a shawl.

I won!  I finally bound off the bottom and sleeves of my sweater, and it's ready to wear!  I used Lori's Twisty Bind Off and it's really stretchyy and doesn't use as much yarn at Jenny's SSBO.  It leaves a really nice looking edge, too.  Yay!  I'm done!  

Now, I get to sew button on an UFO, block and UFO, or reknit the bottom and sleeves of another UFO.  Hmmmm.....  I've decided to finish a UFO from my past every time I finish a project that I start this year.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-20 05:35
| Show all posts
loveinspanish 2018-1-14 23:43
Thank you!  I think I may have used that bind off for a shawl; it seems familiar....  Since I've b ...

I'm glad you were able to finish your sweater.  I tend to use a larger needle for binding off sweaters.  I use anywhere from 2 - 4 sizes larger, which then makes the edge looser, but still has the look of the neat knitted bind off, without pulling in.  If I use the same needle size, my bind off tends to be too tight and pulls in a bit.  

Comments

Thanks! You know what? I used to do that, use a larger needle size for binding off. I totally forgot about that trick. (I lost my knitting mojo for a number a of years and just got it back last ye  Details Reply Post time 2018-1-20 10:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-20 10:33
| Show all posts
toomuchreading 2018-1-19 13:35
I'm glad you were able to finish your sweater.  I tend to use a larger needle for binding off swea ...

Thanks!  You know what?  I used to do that, use a larger needle size for binding off.  I totally forgot about that trick.  (I lost my knitting mojo for a number a of years and just got it back last year. Yay!)  Thanks for the reminder!  

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-8 04:07
| Show all posts
Edited by FluffyQueen88 at 2018-2-8 04:09

I use sewn bind offs a lot for ribbing. It’s basically kitchener and looks so pretty (to me). But if you don’t like grafting, it’s a beating. Icelandic bind off is a new favorite of mine right now too and gives a mini-braid look for the edge that looks great with garter (and is knit so it’s easier than a sewn bind off).
ETA: Congrats on finishing your sweater!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-8 10:29
| Show all posts
I'm fond of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Sewn Bind Off, especially for sweater sleeves and necks and toe-up socks.  It seems to be the very stretchiest of all the methods, though you have to do it with a tapestry needle.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

||||FAQ|||Dark room|||www.pindiy.com

2018-7-17 04:14 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.087845 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2018 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list