| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 2621|Reply: 20
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Favorite way to wind a skein of yarn?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2018-1-20 07:39
| Show all posts |Read mode
What is your favorite way to wind a skein of yarn so you can use it.  I like to use an umbrella swift and a yarn ball winder to make a center pull cake of yarn.

The yarn in untwisted from the skein, and placed on the swift being very careful to not disturb the structure of the skein (you don't want tangles on the swift).  I then cut the yarn ties holding the skein together, and look for an end.  Hopefully the end is on the outside of the skein, and not on the inside.  If it's on the inside, I have to very carefully rotate the skein so that the inside is now of the outside of the swift, so it will spin easily when unwinding.

The end then goes to the ballwinder.  I crank the ballwinder, watching carefully that the swift is spinning freely and there are no tangles.  Once the ballwinder is full or the skein is done I take the cake off the ballwinder and weigh it, and make a note of the weight, if its not on the ballband for the skein.  The ballband goes into the center of the cake, especially if I'm not using it right away.

How do you do this?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-3-24 02:32
| Show all posts
For the past several years, I've been doing it exactly the same as you, though I spent too many decades (yes, that's decades, LOL) winding balls of yarn by hand from skeins looped over the back of a chair or my better half's hands.  Swifts and ballwinders are SO worth the cost :)
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-18 15:11
| Show all posts
I do the same! But since I don't have a swift or ball winder, I use my partner's hands to hold the yarn and I wind the yarn by hand around a very thick pencil. Learned how to do it from a youtube video tutorial called "Hand Wind a Center Pull Cake Tutorial" by Eva of The Charm of It
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-8 08:21
| Show all posts
I would love to try a swift or ballwinder but for now do it all by hand. I use my knees to hold the skein and do a center pull or regular ball. I find it very relaxing and meditative, although it takes a long time!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-6-15 17:09
| Show all posts
Ich benutze eine Haspel und einen Wollwickler, eben klassisch, momentan probiere ich noch dazu einen Tiefenmesser (für Angler) aus, weil ich viel hangesponnenes Garn benutze.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-7-17 06:48
| Show all posts
I've been using a ball winder, but I've noticed that I've been getting a lot of twist when I pull from the centre. I need to try using a nosterpin and see if there's a difference.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-20 07:54
| Show all posts
must try it                                

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-21 04:32
| Show all posts
I wind by hand using a nostepinne my guy made for me out of a dowel.  Next he's making me an Amish swift that I'll use with the nostepinne.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-13 10:15
| Show all posts
I agree with GreenWeaver, they're definitely worth it. I bought a swift a few months ago and I can't imagine winding a skein without it now.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-20 17:59
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-2 15:18
| Show all posts

deve provarlo  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-18 02:15
| Show all posts
thank you - will try

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-20 05:50
| Show all posts
This must be an English thing, I think. I've done this forever.:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-21 23:56
| Show all posts
I use a swift I attach it to my table and then I turn the ball winder, works well for me

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-27 16:48
| Show all posts
merci pour le partage

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 05:06 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.068790 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list