Forgot password?
 Register
View: 237|Reply: 7
Collapse the left

Learning how to Knitting ?

[Copy link]
PinDIY
PinDIY  Post time 2018-2-11 13:07 |Read mode
Hello , i have been crocheting for almost 2 years now and i love it !!
i'm thinking to learn Knitting , but i'm worried that i'm not capable of holding knitting needles and somehow i didnt try it but i'm worried that its really hard and take much more time , so if you crocheting and knitting, can you please tell me the differences between both ?
and if you recommend any good book about knitting available on this site it would be wonderful

Comments

Old/Solved topic  Post time 2018-6-8 11:51

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-2-11 15:15
| Show all posts
Knitting is fun and with most things, practice will make it easier as you go. In knitting there are only 2 stitches, the knit stitch and the purl stitch. Then you have your increases and decreases. First thing is to learn how to cast on. There are many different ways of doing this and usually a pattern will specify which cast on technique to use. Youtube is a great source of info. Just like crochet, pick yarn that is a comfy weight for you and get the recommended size needles. You can get the long ones or the short circular ones (my personal preference) and get started. Practice casting on and the knit and purl until you feel like you can do it in your sleep. It is not hard or difficult especially if you already crochet. Be patient with yourself and have fun with it. Go for it!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-14 00:57
| Show all posts
As someone who is working on it from the other way (know how to knit, trying to learn to crochet) I can say it's a challenge. The other craft feels so entirely different, yet you're working with the same materials and your brain keeps wanting to identify with the one it knows. But, keep at it. Keep practicing, don't get upset when you screw up. It's well worth it to be able to do both. The combination of the two can make some amazing things. :)

Knitting is somewhat simpler because as PBJ mentioned, it's only got the two stitches to learn. Everything else is a variation of those. Also don't be afraid to do things that interest you. If you enjoy making scarves, go for it. It's a good way to practice your stitches and make useful things while you're at it. But, if you are more interested in making other things. . .dive in. Even if you have to start/rip/start rip/start rip. . .it's all practice. (Personally, when learning to knit, I did a shawl. THen I promptly dived into making socks. rotflol I did not want to have to wait. Took me a few days to get the whole concept of using double-pointed needles and knitting circularly. . .lots of knitting, ripping until I could turn out a tube that actually looked right. But once I got it, I was able to go on and make what I liked. Also, use Youtube. The videos will help you 'see' the concepts you're trying to learn a lot better than simple text will.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-21 06:52
| Show all posts
The big difference between knitting and crochet, is the fabric that is produced.  The knitted fabric has a much better drape for clothing, than crochet fabric.  Crochet fabric tends to be much denser.

If you are really worried about learning how to knit (you shouldn't be, it's just a matter of practice) maybe you can try knooking.  Knooking is knitting with a crochet hook, and it generates a fabric exactly like knitting on two needles does.

This a book to help you start out on every knitter's first project, a scarf!  The book is titled Simple Scarves to Make With the Knook.  //www.pindiy.com/forum.php? ... amp;highlight=knook

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-22 02:07
| Show all posts
I have been knitting for years but fell in love the with the finished result of crocheting as much more intricate and versatile.  I have been crocheting for about a year now and really struggled at first, I almost gave up but there are plenty of 'how to'  videos on youtube I watched and I gradually got the hang of it.  I love crochet now, with patience you will learn knitting, it is much simpler than crochet once you can master the basics. Good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-18 11:26
| Show all posts
I have knitted for years and only taught myself to crochet last year. I love knitting childrens clothing but have found crochet soooooooo much quicker. I learnt how to crochet off you tube.:D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-26 04:54
| Show all posts
Have you decided yet if you want to learn to knit? I was a crocheter for many (many) years but wanted to learn to knit so I taught myself. It's a bit weird at first and I had to change how I held my yarn (I knit holding the yarn in my right hand which is apparently weird for someone who learned to crochet first) but you just have to keep trying until you find something comfortable. Knitting was a bit of a challenge for me at the beginning because all of the stitches are "active" so I had to be careful not to lose a stitch off my needles. Also, I got a little confused moving the yarn from one side of my needles to the other (you have to move the yarn to do the different stitches - knitting the yarn is in back, purling in front), but once I started to understand it, it became easy. Now I actually enjoy knitting more than crocheting, mostly because it is more comfortable for my arthritis. Good luck! I wish you luck if you decide to learn!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-10 12:17 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.062177 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list