Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 3122|Reply: 42
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Rib on each end without flaring

[Copy link]
Post time: 2018-4-24 21:11
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Silverlea at 2018-4-24 21:16

How do you get an even rib on each side of a knitted scarf or square hat?
If I want to knit this in one piece, my rib is flaring out on one side.  Its normally the cast on that is wider.

I have google, you tubed and can't find an easy answer

I know the last picture is crochet but its the even effect I crave!!

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-8-4 11:30
| Show all posts
If you want to have the rib without the flair, your are going to have to do some test knits.  The way I do it on sweaters is to knit my rib, and then the first row of the stocking stitch, DECREASE (K2tog) evenly around after doing the rib.  It looks like you won't have to do too much decreasing to get an even side,  maybe 4-8 stitches, based on the picture.  The best thing that you can do is swatch, or just knit smaller samples, with various decreases.  Anyway, this is what I do frequently for my sweaters to get a straight side.  My rib will be winder and then for the stockinette I'll decrease evenly around.  Good luck with your testing.  The hats are so cute.

Comments

Didn't even occur to me to try it your way! Thanks so much for your very useful tip and I am off to swatch :-)  Post time 2018-8-4 17:42
Thanks so much for your very useful tip. I found that by knitting the first rib, down sizing the needle for 4 rows and then completing the rest of it in a larger needle stopped the flaring.  Post time 2018-8-4 17:41
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-30 14:14
| Show all posts
The problem might be caused by loose cast on, or the ribbing itself is loose because of loose purl stitches or from the moving the yarn back and forth loosely from knitting and purling. Experiment with yarn scraps to find the problem.

If it's the cast on, try a different method. Cable cast on usually is a good choice because it's a knitted cast on and the tension will be closer to the rest of your knitting.

If it's the rib stitch itself, one way to tighten it is to knit the knits through the back loop but keep purling normally. This is called the twisted rib stitch, and the first photo you posted looks like it used this stitch.

Comments

Thanks softdough, will give it a try :-)  Post time 2018-4-30 17:28

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-24 21:53
| Show all posts
I am not sure where you're going wrong. Have you tried to use smaller needles? I knit in the round all the time and never experience. I am a tight knitter so for me this isn't usually a problem. Perhaps try using a smaller needle for the ribbing then the pattern calls for before switching to the larger ones it calls for. I hope this answers and helps some. :-)

Comments

Would it make a difference what cast on method is used? I use long tail but maybe I should switch it up to a cable cast on. *Pondering*  Post time 2018-4-24 22:07
Thanks for reply Duckeyd :-). Not going wrong with pattern, the rib is just flaring out on one end. It's done straight not in round. Excellent suggestion to start with smaller needles. Thanks!  Post time 2018-4-24 22:01

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-2-26 16:52
| Show all posts
Edited by Suzy123 at 2021-2-26 16:55

Try this YouTube video. Your answer lies 8 minutes into the video. I hope it helps.I've just discovered the posting of urls is not allowed the title of the video is

The Hows and Whys of Ribbing Modifications // Technique Tuesday by Roxanne Richardson

Comments

At work and working with a massive Photoshop file - 2gigs so I will absorb video later when RAM lets me open other things. Really appreciate your input ♥  Post time 2021-2-26 18:24
Thanks Suzy ♥ I have had a quick look and it's avery interesting link. Scarfs have same flaring so excellent link.  Post time 2021-2-26 18:23

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +36 Collapse Reason
Silverlea + 36 Awesome!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2018-4-28 23:02
| Show all posts

To be able to get even ribbing

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-9 08:40
| Show all posts
@Silverlea  I'm glad it worked for you.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-25 05:29
| Show all posts
so beautiful work,but I do not understand very well...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-23 23:52
| Show all posts
Very nice. Thank you for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-17 03:06
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-3 16:05
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-24 21:23
| Show all posts
Very nice!

Comments

Have u a solution sissy?  Post time 2018-4-24 21:25

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-24 21:25
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Comments

Not sure why u are saying thank you?? Please explain?  Post time 2018-4-24 21:26

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-24 22:04
| Show all posts
Very nice !

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-25 12:13
| Show all posts
Very nice :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-28 18:56
| Show all posts
very nice:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-29 23:35
| Show all posts
Прекрасни

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 22:49 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.206550 sec., 29 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list