Register
Search
View: 1380|Reply: 23
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Aida or Evenweave

[Copy link]
Post time: 2018-11-7 08:59
| Show all posts |Read mode
What is your favorite? I much prefer Aida, I just can't get on with Evenweave at all.  It seems too soft and flexible for my liking.  Any tips to working with it?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-12-21 15:36
| Show all posts
I learned cross stitch on Aida, and now stitching exclusively on linens.  I did a few pieces on lugana.  I find that :
1) Aida is good for me when working on complicated designs with lots of colour changes (like Thea Gouverneuer's ) in that I did not have to count 1 or 2 threads (especially towards the end of the stitching session when I grow tired!), i just stitch over 1 Aida block.
2) the higher count Aida is good for stitching with one strand of floss
3) evenweave (I used 28 ct & 32ct white lugana) is good for me when I first started stitching MTSA's over 1 designs.  The thicker threads of the evenweave helped tremendously with the tiny over 1 stitch.
4) lugana does have a softer hand compared to the thicker Aida.  When I first used lugana, I stretched it onto a hoop, making it taut and not so 'drappy'.  

Hope this helps !

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-7 18:57
| Show all posts

@Jazzo,  I have stitched many sizes over the many years.  The largest one I stitch or should that be longest - is as long as I am tall 5 foot 4inches, although it is not mega wide only approx 24inches.

There are other that are as wide as 2 & half feet wide by four feet, I don’t seem to do small. I have an extra wide scroll frame approx 3 & half feet but would get Hubby to make a larger one if needed out of some doweling.

Yes, I will sort some photo out to post.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-18 13:48
| Show all posts
I use Lugana most of the time and very rarely, if ever, use aida. I find evenweave is just nicer to the touch, looks better as a finished product, & it's easier to use when your pattern has a lot of half or quarter stitches. I use a scroll frame or an embroidery hoop for my projects (I never stitch in the hand)...even the few time I use aida. The biggest piece of fabric I've used is one I'm working on at the moment which is 1.5m long. I just roll up the portion that I'm not working on & have it secured with clips. Because the laguna is so soft, it rolls well.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-3-16 08:12
| Show all posts
jazzo

Login/Register to enlarge
2018-11-7 02:39

@langstep actually, i have wondered about this as well, how would you work a large project i.e. HAED ...

This is not haed but it was done on evenweave 2 over 1 http://www.pindiy.com/thread-244782-1-1.html . Because its about 90cm long & I couldnt fit it on any other blue color fabric or even working 2 over 2 it makes it 180cm long which is way too long.
If I do haed i'll do it on 22ct or 1 over 1 on evenweave coz they r also pretty big

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-7 13:52
| Show all posts
I have stitched using both even weave and Aida, but my preferance is evenweave I like the softer texture handling the fabric.  
Have found if there are a lot of half and quarter stitches in the design it is so much easier, even the backstitching is easier with evenweave.
I always use a scroll frame to keep the tensioning the fabric.   

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:24
| Show all posts
I much prefer the texture and look of evenweave, it seemed daunting at first but now I don't like to work with aida. Though the stiffness of aida is useful for certain applications sometimes. I always stitch with a very taught hoop which helps.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-7 19:37
| Show all posts
@ langstep, i must admire your courage to stitch such large projects, and when you say "only" 24 inches its mega mega for me!! dear me, i am now truly interested in seeing your works. Do you buy fabric in metres for such large projects?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-7 15:39
| Show all posts
@langstep actually, i have wondered about this as well, how would you work a large project i.e. HAED etc...on evenweave? if you have got some of your works could you post pictures just so i could have a idea please. Thanks

Comments

This is not haed but it was done on evenweave 2 over 1 http://www.pindiy.com/thread-244782-1-1.html . Because its about 90cm long & I couldnt fit it on any other blue color fabric or even working 2 ov  Details Reply Post time 2019-3-16 08:12
@Jazzo, I have stitched many sizes over the many years. The largest one I stitch or should that be longest - is as long as I am tall 5 foot 4inches, although it is not mega wide only approx 24inches  Details Reply Post time 2018-11-7 18:57

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-3-1 06:28
| Show all posts
I even have stitched the use of both even weave and Aida, however my preferance is evenweave I just like the softer texture dealing [url=]buying tips[/url] with the material.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-3-16 08:09
| Show all posts
Really dont care what to stitch on as long as I have some selection.
Rght now I'm using Home Decor fabric to stitch on & I love it more than evenweave or linen

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-3 16:01
| Show all posts
I prefer Evenweave if the fabric is visible according to the design. If the background is covered with cross stitches Aida is better

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-15 13:35
| Show all posts
I'm an even weave girl, once I started using that I couldn't go back to aida!! About to start linen for a challenge!!!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 10:50 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.055538 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list