Collapse the left

Amigurumi V or X Stitch

[Copy link]
Post time: 2019-1-17 10:11
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Mayy at 2019-1-17 15:11

Hello!

I want to know your opinions on this!
I love to crochet Amigurumi, and since from the start I learned to single crochet the X stitch.

For the V sc: wrap the yarn over the crochet hook and pull up a loop. Continue as normal.

For the X sc: wrap the yarn under the crochet hook and pull up a loop. Continue as normal. By doing this, you get a X-shaped look.

Did you know of this? I hope so! It gives your work a whole new look and you can choose which one you prefer the most!

This X shape makes the stitches more neat and uniform, but a little bit smaller (tighter) as well.
The V shape makes the whole work softer, I think.

99% of my Amigurumi is made with the X look, but right now I'm a little confused of which one to choose. Both are beautiful!!

What do you think of this? Which one do you prefer?

Search for "Pica Pau Yan" on Instagram and see more of her work. She uses the X shape stitch and she also has a video on how to do it.
And there are videos on YouTube to help you achieve this look!

Pica Pau Yan 1

Pica Pau Yan 1

Regular V shape

Regular V shape

Same pattern V and X

Same pattern V and X

Pica Pau Yan 2

Pica Pau Yan 2

Rate

Number of participants 11Gold Coins +47 Collapse Reason
fatyarn + 3 Usefull
Saltandpepper + 1 I learnt something today, thank you !
rickie + 1 Thanks for the info
leopard danio + 10 Very nice!
tatyanaSeigers + 10 Usefull
BoingBoing + 10 Usefull
KatharinaV-NL + 1 Very clear explanation. Thank you!
Hakemieke + 4 Usefull
bs.frog + 5 Interesting, Thank You!
DMCrafter + 1 Usefull
lisawoody + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2022-3-14 07:38
| Show all posts
I only ever knew about the V way, how do you handle the X way when a pattern tells you for example to hook under both lines of the V?
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-31 15:13
| Show all posts
Hi! I didn't know about it until I started with amigrumis, I was more into crocheting clothes and carpet as ( sorry forgot the word on English). For me it's easier the X when I'm making realistic dolls ( easier to grab the yard). When I want to make the amigurumi a little bit bigger with the same materials ( hook and yarn) I use the V shape but I have notices that if Im going to embroider the eyes the V makes it harder to do it. Im really don't know if that's the case or it's just me who really don't enjoy so much working with  needles. :)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-28 19:30
| Show all posts
I had to learn the yarn under x way when making octopuses for premature babies, the charity had alot of rules to make them safe for the babies and like you said it produces much tigher work which leaves less gaps for stuffing making it safer. I found it super hard on my hands though (I have arthritis) so I generally work in yarn over v form. I'm working on some of the pica pau patterns now but doing them in v form instead. I prefer the look of the x but it's just not doable for me personally which is a pity

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-20 09:58
| Show all posts
I learned the "v" way. But nowadays it feels and looks a little bit odd to me. "x" seems to give more structure and tbh I didn't see a big or even noticeable sacrifice in softness at all.
To me "x" helps specially when using a bit cheaper acrylic yarns (because sometimes it's all you have around you), the shape is less prone to get deformed.
And as superkrout mentioned above, the sturdiness helps when filling it too! It's harder to get the stuffing showing at all.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-20 01:56
| Show all posts
When I first learned how to crochet I tried following the YouTube videos as closely as possible which resulted in everything I made having that v stitch. I remember absolutely hating how it looked because I was envious of people who made amigurumi with the x look lol. Eventually, I learned how to make that stitch round four years ago so I've never gone back to the v stitch which I like to joke it's a trauma response

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-18 06:39
| Show all posts

Wow, those pictures are great and really show the difference! It looks like the x's give a more even texture to the fabric but the v's are maybe a bit smoother looking? I think I might like the regularity of the x's best but both are very nice.

It's really interesting to see this difference. Thank you so much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-18 03:02
| Show all posts
Thank you Mayy this is really interesting. I really want to learn how to crochet more than a granny square so I can learn to do Amigurumi. Great hearing about this now so I can play with both as I learn. Thanks so much for the great explanation and pictures too :loveliness: Love learning new things.

Also your avatar is so sweet :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-11 01:11
| Show all posts
I know and have uysed the Yarn Under technique and I know it can make a piece look 'cleaner' but I just CANNOT do it efficiently and quickly the way I can a standard Yarn Over. It's just not for me and the subjective gains in looks is nto worth the insane amount of effort I'd have to add to a piece I am making.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-20 00:45
| Show all posts
Edited by WoolySnail at 2024-3-19 17:49

I have always made the X way. And I crochet trough one loop not both, this way the left "loop'" will close the gap

loops_front.jpg

loops_both.jpg

loops_back.jpg This one is the one I crochet (on the right)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-4-1 21:42
| Show all posts
I prefer the "x" look for dolls because it looks neater like you said.  It does make the fabric tighter, so for other things like blankets and towels I use the yarn over method.  I don't do much crochet though and always learning!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-17 13:48
| Show all posts
I did not know this at all! Are there pictures to show the difference? I am quite curious to see how different they look! Very interesting!

Comments

Sorry, I uploaded the pictures now! Hope you like it.  Details Reply Post time 2019-1-17 14:15

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2019-1-17 14:15
| Show all posts
FluffyQueen88

Login/Register to enlarge
2019-1-17 13:48

I did not know this at all! Are there pictures to show the difference? I am quite curious to see how ...

Sorry, I uploaded the pictures now! Hope you like it.

Comments

Wow, those pictures are great and really show the difference! It looks like the x's give a more even texture to the fabric but the v's are maybe a bit smoother looking? I think I might like the regula  Details Reply Post time 2019-1-18 06:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-17 16:53
| Show all posts
Very nice !

Comments

wow, level 9 you have been here long time  Post time 2020-1-9 12:58

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-17 17:52
| Show all posts
I think X gets better. It gets really tight.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-17 19:32
| Show all posts
Çok güzel!!! Paylaşım için teşekkürler!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-17 21:10
| Show all posts
I prefer the x sc, neat and tight, not showing holes when stuffing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-18 00:24
| Show all posts
I have heard of 2 ways to crochet Amigurumi. They were called yarn over and yarn under. I like your explanations and pictures. This helps show the difference between the two techniques.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-23 20:31
| Show all posts
I use both ways. Personally prefer the "X" sc.;P

Comments

Thank you!!! I love Star Wars and Legos! what can I say?  Details Reply Post time 2020-1-18 05:30
Love your avatar, thanks so much it made me laugh!  Post time 2020-1-18 02:59

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
bs.frog + 2 Great Avatar!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-23 20:13 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.091214 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list