Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 185|Reply: 9
Collapse the left

Aida cloth gets too soft

[Copy link]
Post time: 2019-7-17 22:32
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,
I'm working on a large project right now using 18 count aida cloth.  Aida softens up as you stitch but this piece of fabric is getting way too soft!  It's hard to keep it tight in the hoop and keeping stitches even is proving to be a challenge.
Does anyone have any suggestions for returning some of the original "crispness" of the fabric?  I was wondering if anyone had tried something like spray starch.
Thanks!

Comments

Old/solved topic in Free talk  Post time 2019-8-17 23:31

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2019-7-18 08:06
| Show all posts
What sort of hoop are you using? If a QSnap a couple of things can be done for your loose fitting clamps. You can take a piece of paper towelling and put a small piece the length of the clamp before you clamp back on the hoop. You can also soak the clamps in hot hot water for a few seconds, remove them and as they cool gently squeeze the sides until they tighten back up. Careful doing this, I would suggest a towel to catch the heat not your hand. If these don't work replacing the clamps may be your last resort at yarntree dot com. They own the QSnap now. I hope this helps a little.

Comments

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem isn't with my hoop but with the fabric itself. The fabric has become so soft it's hard to work with. I don't use QSnaps. I've tried them and find them awkwar  Details Reply Post time 2019-7-18 10:23
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2019-7-18 10:23
| Show all posts
Duckeyd 2019-7-18 08:06
What sort of hoop are you using? If a QSnap a couple of things can be done for your loose fitting cl ...

Thanks for the suggestions.  The problem isn't with my hoop but with the fabric itself.  The fabric has become so soft it's hard to work with.
I don't use QSnaps.  I've tried them and find them awkward to hold onto.  My favorite hoop is made by F. A. Edmonds.  It's a German embroidery hoop.

Comments

I agree with tricialynn. If its not the hoop then the fabric must be low quality. Its sad if that is the case. Very good luck with it.  Post time 2019-7-18 13:45

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-18 11:08
| Show all posts
You could try using a spray starch ironing the fabric. Or wrapping your hoop with fabric binding. But to me it sounds the it's just the way it was manufactured.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-19 04:10
| Show all posts
i find if i iron, it tends to stiffen up

Comments

Thanks! I'll give it a try.  Details Reply Post time 2019-7-19 09:53

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2019-7-19 09:53
| Show all posts
frankilouise 2019-7-19 04:10
i find if i iron, it tends to stiffen up

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-23 01:18
| Show all posts
I was also going to suggest ironing as frankilouise, wish I had a great idea that I know works. Hope your able to make it work, sad to put a lot of work in only to not look as good as you want. Hope it works out for you :loveliness: sending happy thoughts!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 19:15 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.045368 sec., 13 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list