Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 3055|Reply: 56
Collapse the left

Smart searching

[Copy link]
Post time: 2019-7-19 17:12
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2020-9-21 19:21

I want to share my search experience in sections "Bounty Area", "Cross stitch Communication" (Scanned, Repaint, Magazine, ...).

Global Moderator @anniekins has already (repeatedly) written about search optimization, as well as the @Strawberry Cat and many others.

Summary and my additions:
At the top left you see "Search bar: (Enter search words)" and "Threads" (in fact "Thread titles") by default.
Extra: You can search not only Threads, but also This Forum, Blogs, Albums, Groups, Users. But I didn't use them ((.

Search1.png

About "search words":
1) serial number (If you know the serial number of the pattern, you can search with this number only).
2) The search must be simple: one or two words.
3) Do not use punctuation (, &, /, ', %, *, #, @, !, ), articles (a, an, the, ...), preposition (in, of ... ).

Examples:
You want to find: "Lanarte 35162 (PN-0021196) - Robins by Marjolein Bastin"
search words:
a) 21196  (result: found 2 threads)

b) Lanar(te) Robin (result: found 12 threads)
c) Lanarte Bastin (result: found 221 threads)

You want to find: "Lanarte 33890 (33.890) Under the Parasol"
search words:
a) 33890 (result: found 1 thread)
b) lan 890 (result: found 4 threads)
c) Lan Par (result: found 171 threads)
d) Lanar Par (result: found 27 threads)
d) Lanar Para (result: found 8 threads)

You want to find: "Dimensions 70-08836 Santa's Nap"
search words:
a) 8836 (result: found 3 threads related to "8836")

b) Nap Dim (result: 15 threads)
c) Santa Dim (result: 198 threads)

I believe that 10-20 threads are good, easily viewed result and even informative sometimes. 171 threads, 198 threads, 221 threads - are too much, of course.
Therefore you can use "Advanced" (top right of the page).
Extra: You can search not only Advanced, but also Threads, Blogs, Albums, Groups, Collection, Users, Quick (posted in 1 hour ... in 1 year). But I didn't use them ((.

Search2.png

Press "Advanced"

Search3.png
and you see: (for example "Santa Dim (result: 198 threads)")

Keywords: Santa Dim
Search Range: Cross stitch Patterns Scanned - result: 103 threads
                        Cross stitch Patterns Repaint - result: 64 threads
                        Bounty Area - result: 2 threads
                        Bounty Area and Stitch Diary (holding Ctrl) - result: 14 threads.

Search4.png
Order by: Start time (Descending) - last downloaded threads you will see first.

For example: if you are looking for number "283" - result: 114 threads.
If you add "Advanced -> Search Range: Cross Stitch Magazine" - result: 4 threads.

For example: if you are looking for number "Disney" - result: 1001 threads.
If you add "Advanced -> Search Range: Cross Stitch Magazine" - result: 134 threads.
If you add "Advanced -> Search Range: Crochet Knitting magazines|Books" - result: 19 threads.
If you add "Advanced -> Search Range: Beading Jewelry Resources|Magazines" - result: 8 threads.

Perhaps other sections (Knitting and Crochet Communication, Sewing And Patchwork Communication, ...) have their own nuances. Your useful additions will be rewarded by me.

Hope I can help your "searching" and improve this forum.

Quick search:
As @Strawberry Cat said, there is a faster search option, without resorting to "Advanced" mode.

For example, for "Cross stitch Patterns Scanned":
If you have open page with scanned pattern and you change "Threads" to "This Forum" at the near left top of page, you will get search result from "Cross stitch Patterns Scanned" only.
It's really fast !!

The term is various:
1) Forum (is "All Forum") -> Cross stitch Communication -> "Cross stitch Patterns Scanned" is "(sub)Forum".
2) Search options on page:       "Threads" - result from "All Forum"
                                          "This Forum" - result from "This (sub)Forum" ("Cross stitch Patterns Scanned").
3) "Advanced" mode: "Cross stitch Patterns Scanned" is (sub)Forum in "Search Range".

Links
Search in specific thread?  http://www.pindiy.com/thread-350511-1-1.html
Tips for Better Search Resultshttp://www.pindiy.com/thread-254426-1-1.html

Search difficulties. It happens.
- French designs (for those who don't know French (( )
- Russian, Spanish and other non-English designs (often, non-English patterns have English translations in addition to the original pattern name)
- the letter "O" instead of the number "0" (or the number "0" instead of the letter "O")
- by picture
       If you have a picture only, you can create a thread in Free Talk (Forum -> Communication Area -> Free Talk) (or in Groups) that to know the name of pattern from more experienced users.
       To search for pattern you need to create a thread in Bounty Area (Forum -> Communication Area -> Bounty Area).

- designs from books. Example:
       Cross Stitch Crazy Issue 238 February 2018   http://www.pindiy.com/thread-356761-1-1.html    but single chart from this book "Full of Love Teddy Pillow" impossible to find.

Rate

Number of participants 13Gold Coins +140 Collapse Reason
Haakfreakje + 2 Thank you very much!
Trefoil + 10 Thank you very much!
Bergman + 2 Thank you very much!
Hakemieke + 6 Thank you very much!
viky + 8 Thank you very much!
Xandrea + 6 Very helpful! Thanks!
tatyanaSeigers + 9 Thank you very much!
marlihc + 5 Thank you very much!
KatharinaV-NL + 1 Amazing explanation!
hamaratanne + 10 Thank you very much!
globuline + 30 very useful
Turquoise + 50 Usefull
xcherubx + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2019-7-19 23:12
| Show all posts
When using the Search function at the near top of every forum page, there are several search options in the drop-down menu next to the magnifying glass (the search button).

It says Threads by default. If you search for something in default mode, you will get results from all subforums.

Threads.jpg

If you change Threads to This Forum, you will get results from only the (sub)forum you're currently looking at.

This forum.jpg

Comments

Thanks for the ratings  Post time 2019-7-20 03:37
I didn't know about this option. Thank you, @Strawberry Cat.  Post time 2019-7-19 23:37

Rate

Number of participants 3Gold Coins +76 Collapse Reason
globuline + 30 very useful
xcherubx + 1 Thank you very much!
Puppy + 45 Excellent!

View Rating Log

Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2022-7-4 17:00
| Show all posts
Edited by Puppy at 2022-7-4 12:30
lozvi 2022-7-4 02:45
I do find it frustrating searching for certain things on the site. And I feel like the majority of c ...

I have described my experience in sections "Bounty Area" and "Cross stitch Communication". Perhaps the search in the sections "Knitting and Crochet Communication" is more difficult.

Try searching "crochet" in "Crochet Knitting magazines|Books" section.

Not amigurumi:
magazines "Defining Crochet", "Interweave Crochet", "Inside Crochet", "Verena Crochet", "Crochet!", "Crochet Now", "Simply Crochet", "Love Crochet", "Love of Crochet".

You can search for "Slipper", "Throw", "Hat", "Tote", "Natural croche", "Couture Crochet Workshop",  "Jacket Crochet", "Crochet Fashion", "Knitting Crochet", "Top Crochet".
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-11-17 20:28
| Show all posts
Thank you SO MUCH for this, it' VERY useful.   I have a question though:  when I love a specific designer and I want to check if there is something newer just uploaded, I don't have a good option of checking it.  I mean, I can go to the forum and select "1 day" post, BUT I do not see what has just been uploaded -  I see older things, and I don't want that.   It would be really great if I could select an order to view, for example, from the newest POST to the oldest one (considering the date it was inserted on the page - not the newest item that had a recent comment).  What do you think about this?   If I am mistaken, please correct me..  :-)

Comments

What do I think about this? Please read the post again )) beginning with: Press "Advanced" ... Search Range: ... Order by: Start time (Descending) - last downloaded threads you will see first.  Details Reply Post time 2020-11-17 21:03

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2020-11-17 21:03
| Show all posts
Edited by Puppy at 2020-11-17 15:14
marlihc 2020-11-17 14:28
Thank you SO MUCH for this, it' VERY useful.   I have a question though:  when I love a specific des ...

What do I think about this?  Please read the this post again )) beginning with:

Press "Advanced"

Search Range:

Order by: Start time (Descending) - last downloaded threads you will see first.

and you see a specific designer from the newest post to the oldest one (considering "Start time"). :P

Comments

Thanks again, but this does NOT work. The descending order is about the comments someone made, NOT recent posts. My question was for the search to show the descending order considering the upload d  Details Reply Post time 2020-11-19 05:01

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2020-11-19 09:36
| Show all posts
Edited by Puppy at 2020-11-19 04:30
marlihc 2020-11-18 23:01
Thanks again, but this does NOT work.   The descending order is about the comments someone made, N ...

I understand you well and I answered exactly your question: upload date, as you say, this is the "Start time" here.

Therefore, you must change drop-down menu "Order by" from "Last Post" to "Start time"  (+ Ascending or Descending).

It certainly works. I always use this feature. :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-11-19 05:01
| Show all posts
Puppy 2020-11-17 21:03
What do I think about this?  Please read the this post again )) beginning with:

Press "Advanced"

Thanks again, but this does NOT work.   The descending order is about the comments someone made, NOT recent posts.  My question was for the search to show the descending order considering the upload date, not the comment date...  

Comments

I understand you well and I answered exactly your question: upload date, as you say, this is the "Start time" here. Therefore, you must change drop-down menu "Order by" from "Last Post" to "Start ti  Details Reply Post time 2020-11-19 09:36

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-5-25 14:51
| Show all posts
Thank you so much for these very helpful directions for searching on this site. I have already applied them and got much better search results :)

Comments

Ask if something is not clear  Post time 2022-5-25 16:34

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +9 Collapse Reason
Puppy + 9 Welcome !

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-5-23 10:44
| Show all posts
Thank you so, so much for this!! I was putting in words for things I wanted and was getting results from everywhere, so this is VERY helpful!! :D

Rate

Puppy + 9 Welcome!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-7-4 08:45
| Show all posts
I do find it frustrating searching for certain things on the site. And I feel like the majority of crochet items here are amigurumi.

Comments

I have described my experience in sections "Bounty Area" and "Cross stitch Communication". Perhaps the search in the sections "Knitting and Crochet Communication" is more difficult. Try searching "c  Details Reply Post time 2022-7-4 17:00

Rate

Puppy + 9 Welcome !

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-19 17:56
| Show all posts
thank you very much for this very useful information

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-20 03:25
| Show all posts
I personally don't use the "Advanced" function. I don't find it very helpful.

Comments

Neither do I, but then again I am experienced at searching. It may be a good tool for those not very familiar with searches  Post time 2019-7-20 03:38

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-20 18:35
| Show all posts
Thank you. This is very useful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-7-20 20:21
| Show all posts
Thank you. This is very useful.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-8-2 01:12
| Show all posts
A great reminder Puppy, very happy with it, indeed it makes a differents about searching if you will find a pattern example. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-12-31 03:31
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-1 03:55
| Show all posts
Very helpful. Thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-1 18:48
| Show all posts
You did a great work, as usual. Thank you

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 21:26 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.156019 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list