| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 1781|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Need some advice concerning curtains embroidering :)

[Copy link]
Post time: 2011-9-5 18:54
| Show all posts |Read mode
Post Last Edit by lyloo at 9-5-2011 19:04

Hello dear Chcross members,
I was wondering if my project is feasible... I'm in the middle of a big  (re)decoration work of a former playroom which is intended to become a new bedroom for my twins.
First I wanted to buy some nice fabric and sew curtains myself, but I don't find  nice fabric (or at least  with a pattern I would like) around here, so I had the idea to buy just a piece of solid color fabric which I would embroider myself.
I would like to do something resembling this fabric 336093747_tp.jpg , or this one miller_morning_dots_flower_fairies_pink.jpg

I have many fairys patterns and foresaw to use waste canvas to stich on "normal" fabric

My question relates to the faisability of this project and I need advices from more experienced stitchers. I'm only used to Xstitch on Aida and never did any household linens such as  curtain or whatever.
Will it influence the drop of the curtain, it's shape?

All your opinions and advices are more than welcome :)

Have a wonderful day and happy stitching !!!

PS : I apologize if I'm not using the correct terms, not familiar with sewing and Xstitch english vocabulary ... sorry also for the size of my pics !

336093747_tp.jpg

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2011-9-6 21:24
| Show all posts
Post Last Edit by bluebird at 9-6-2011 23:43

Hi Lyloo, This is my personal opinion, but based on my experiences & having been involved in sewing and design for years, I think you will find that cross stitch curtains is uncommon and not adapted because its so time consuming, labor intensive and...well, lets face it, not very practical.
Curtains in children's rooms need to be washed and dried, many times over, they need to be sturdy and tough to withstand the wear and tear that kids inflict on them and depending on where you live, they need to be fade resistant and not susceptible to harsh sunlight (fading and discoloration).
There are some wonderful fabrics you can purchase on the internet (from overseas stores) that are exactly what you are after, you can even purchase ready made curtains and just hang them without fuss! Here is a link to one of the sites I found whilst conducting a very preliminary search:
  1. http://www.pricerighthome.com/characters/Disney_Fairies/49.html?source=aw
  2. http://products.janechurchill.com/details.aspx?StockCode=J647F-01
  3. http://www.curtainsforkids.co.uk/Pages/Fabric_LiningsThumbPages/fairyprincess.htm
  4. http://www.colorfulchildhoodstore.com/Garden-Theme-4-Piece-Crib-Set-Fairy-Butterflies-p/rm05-mg.htm
Copy the Code

The fairies you chose to stitch for your twins would be better utilized as accent features, for example, in the center of a quilt or afghan, framed on the wall, a special item on a pillowslip or cushion, even as embroidery on clothing. Older children are also more likely to appreciate and value handiwork and you may even find that your twins will develop an interest and wish to stitch with you, creating wonderful heirlooms that will be treasured and last many years.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:08
| Show all posts
Lovely fabric.  I have some flower fairy swatches, im planning on using on project bags, curtains are out of my league! :D
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-24 00:22
| Show all posts
I hope you ended up with what you hoped for. Fairies are so adorable

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:28
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:42
| Show all posts
Thank you so much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-9-6 06:17
| Show all posts
Wow. I love Flower Fairies. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure it will come out very beautiful :).

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-9-6 17:04
| Show all posts
maybe you can use DMC soluble canvas or a waste canvas to stitch your fairy pattern on your normal/cotton/somekind of fabric..
Perfect for customising home décor items such as cushions and pillows, as well as almost any clothing garment, DMC's Soluble Canvas is a revolution.

The 14ct Soluble Canvas is used in exactly the same way as Aida when stitching, all you need to do is choose your design, tack the canvas to your chosen material and cross stitch as usual.
Simply place the finished design in a bowl of warm water and the canvas disappears leaving you with a customised unique piece of clothing or home décor item!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-9-6 19:34
| Show all posts
TY Dima and Jenjen :)

Yup Dima, I love those fairys too, I wish I could draw or paint them...

Jenjen, ty for your concern:), waste canvas is what I planned to use as well, but it'll be the first time I use this product and I have no idea concerning the result.

Also, cross-stitching curtains seems to be rather "uncommon". First thing I did when I got this idea was to perform a search on google images to see examples, and...well results are really poor (most of them are "faux cross-stitch" motifs or, when it's real embroidery it's mostly on valances, not on the curtain itself)
That's why I wondered if cross stitch is "adapted" concerning curtains ... and if not, why?

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2011-9-6 22:13
| Show all posts
Reply 5# bluebird

TY so much Bluebird for your input and advice. See, now I'm glad I asked, because I didn't even think about the possible fading (which will occur more than likely as I live in south france ) . As for the time consuming part, you're right too, especially that I  have so less time for me and my hobbies.
Thank you to have spent so much time searching those beautiful websites also
I hope my twins will be interested in my handiworks too, but will still have to wait a bit , they're only 1 1/2 years old as of now

Have a wonderful day Bluebird :kiss:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-25 02:05
| Show all posts
Wouh its lovely

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-5-21 20:11
| Show all posts
Very Nice!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 07:52 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.069118 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list