Hot search: hat cross stitch Xsd hae xsd Hae
View: 7743|Reply: 44
Collapse the left

[Knitting] V neck ribbing in the Round on circular needles

[Copy link]
Post time: 2019-9-15 19:41
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Silverlea at 2019-9-15 19:50

I am trying to master k1, p1 ribbing in the round and have got so much conflicting advice from youtube and the world wide web that has left my head reeling and I am dazed and confused.  I desperately need your help!
Firstly, I know how to knit so nothing to worry about on that front :)  I have tried all the variations listed below and it looks down right ugly and a bit bunchy too.
The variations are:
Keep the 1 center stitch of the v as aknit by working
1st round: P1, K1
2nd round: Rib to within 2sts of centre marked st: slip 2tog knitwise, Knit 1 center st,pass the two slipped sts over the knitted one
(WhenI tried this one it became lopsided and was leaning to one side the more rows I did)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1 centre stitch
Round 1: Work in K1, P1 ribbing to 2 sts before marker, P2tog, slip marker, K1, slip marker, P2tog, work K1, P1 to end of round.
Round 2: Working in established ribbing pattern until 2 sts before marker, ssk, slip marker, K1, slip marker, K2tog, work to end of round.
Repeat rounds 1 and 2, once more. Bind off in ribbing
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2 center sts
1st round – * P2, K2, rep from * to end.
2nd round – Rib to within one st of 2 center sts, K2tog, sl 1, K1, psso, rib to end.

Row 1 – P1, *k1, P1, repeat from * to end of row
Row 2 – K1,p1, rib to within 2sts of centre marked st, K2tog tbl, K1 K2tog rib to end
Row 3 – Rib to within 2sts of centre marked stp2tog, p1, p2tog tbl, rib to end
Repeat last two rows until desired length
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is a picture (not my knitting) to show you my Start point and what I am trying to achieve and just making sure my ssk and k2tog are in the right place.
Start point is right shoulder seam.

Untitled-1.jpg

What is the best way to handle this ribbed V neck in the round?  The pattern I am using has only 1 shoulder joined and is knitted back and forth over two rows.  I have picked up and knitted the 1s tround and my stitch count is 100%.  52sts down right side, 1 center st, 52sts up left side and 34 stitches across the back.
Would also like to know if the center st is always a knit or can it be a purl to?  One more question:  When I begin the round (because the stitches are an even number) do I knit the first st? I have seen patterns where the instructions call for you to purl the 1stst – any idea why this is?  Maybe because they are working back and forth over 2 rows and not knitting in the round?

@pitussa

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2019-10-4 10:32
| Show all posts
I'm a big fan of Elizabeth Zimmerman, and she found a way to knit the v neck so it looks good.  With the 3 stitches at the bottom of the V do a "double decrease" which is slip 2 together, knit 1, pass 2 slipped stitches over every 2nd round.  That knitted stitch will be your center knit stitch up the V.  It from her book Knitting workshop.

Comments

Thanks! Can't find the book here but thanks so much for explaining this method ♥  Post time 2019-10-4 14:38
Reply Support 3 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2019-9-19 02:22
| Show all posts
Edited by Silverlea at 2019-9-19 02:24

Thanks for reply and the link :).  Picture is just a random V neck I got of  the www, it looks like a machine knit?

Pattern is not much help unfortunately because it 1). its not in the round (only one shoulder is joined) 2). The pattern is very clear but in the decreases it wants me to k3tog and its just way to bulky around the neck.  There is not much help out there for the "perfect" v neck decrease.  

I have now finished the V and did a s1,k1,psso - K1 center stitch - K2 tog.  Not perfect but passable.  

If anyone is attempting this and is starting on the left side, please remember to reverse the decreases.

I want to perfect the V neck decreases - the hunt continues ;P
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-9-18 22:26
| Show all posts
What is the name of this pattern? It's a beautiful sweater!
I am sorry I can't help you there, I have only once knit a similar neckline and it was Serenity by Joji Locatelli included in http://www.pindiy.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=228860
I was lucky that the pattern had clear instructions that worked out well, maybe you can look at that neck and see how it is worked (in the round).

I'm sorry I can't help you there!  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-11-15 21:43
| Show all posts
Thank  you  very  much  for  sharing  this  great  pattern

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-8 09:49
| Show all posts
Thank  you  very  much  for  sharing  this  great  pattern

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-4 15:46
| Show all posts
Thanks a lot for the suggestion toomuchreading; it was something that bothered me too and now I'll try the Zimmerman's method!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-12-30 15:59
| Show all posts
this information is helpful. I also find it always very difficult to work it good. I do not succeed until now

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-11-13 15:48
| Show all posts
thank you for sharing this info, I was looking for a ribbed V neck and I will take care of these suggestion

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-11-18 23:17
| Show all posts
Did you get an answer? I thought the double centre decrease (first one) would work well

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-5 03:43
| Show all posts
спасибо Вам

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-13 18:02
| Show all posts
I find having one centre st is the best and your second methed works for me . good luck

Comments

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-25 09:21
| Show all posts
Tirranquei casquinha de feijão no teu buta. Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-31 04:07
| Show all posts
anlatım güzel

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-11-1 02:08
| Show all posts
Thanks for helping information

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-18 19:25 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.077249 sec., 26 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list