Forgot password?
 Register
View: 3804|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Typical Courses] Cording Request.

[Copy link]
Post time: 2010-1-7 03:20
| Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone have a tutorial for how to make hand made cording for using in edging projects like scissor fobs and ornaments?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-12-15 05:58
| Show all posts
I bought the Kreinik Cord Maker. Honestly, totally worth the money.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-16 13:37
| Show all posts
good information. Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 03:29
| Show all posts
Thanks you very much for the sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 08:42
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-5 04:11
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-25 23:43
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 16:20
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 16:17
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 02:19
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-9 12:27
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 07:31
| Show all posts
Hello
I too was wondering how to make myself an ornament edge cord. I thought I can use some friendship bracelet way of knotting, like on the pics under neath. This knot gives flat and narrow band that I thought would look nice on the edge.
But this is just an something I came up with, an idea only and I haven't tested it yet! I would love to hear what the others will say, so I join your request. {:3_59:}
Pattern not made by me

sq_1.gif

sq_2.gif

sq_3.gif

sq_4.gif

Comments

That's really nice! Thanks for sharing  Details Reply Post time 2012-1-1 09:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 14:49
| Show all posts
It is an existing method I know as Macrame knot. It works, but the result will be flattish.
Cording is when you twist your floss many times, so the floss become a short, thick chord.
I will try to post some instructions later.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-1-7 17:37
| Show all posts
Oh, I see! I couldn't really translate the term {:3_60:} I like making friendship bracelets and I thought this would work. I will wait to see your instructions! {:3_52:}

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2010-1-8 13:48
| Show all posts
Thanks so much to you both!

I look forward to seeing what you can find Hammy :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-8-14 23:37
| Show all posts
thanks! i was also looking for this info.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2010-9-10 03:25
| Show all posts
Well, I dont have any photos, but I can talk you all through making your own cording!!!  Lets get this party started, LOL!!!

1)  First you need to cut yourself 3 LONG pieces of the thread you're turning into cording.  It HAS to be very long, as the twisting required to get a nice, tight twist takes up alot of length, so make sure you've cut your cords a bit LONGER than you think you need!!!  Generally, as a rule of thumb, its best to cut your threads about 3 times longer than the cord you want-but again, bigger is better!

2) Tie a knot (using all three strands) on each end of the threads.  

3) Attach the knotted threads to something stable like a door knob, or use strong tape to tape one end of the threads down.  I prefer to tie mine to something stable--its very easy to pull the tape loose, and then you lose whatever work you've done. :(  

4)  Using a pencil or other straight object, its very easy to start turning your threads.   Just slip the pencil through the free end, and stand back as far as you can to make sure your threads are nice and straight.
This provides a nice, even tension in the threads and your cording will look more professional.
Begin twisting your cord!

5)  You'll know when you've twisted long enough, your threads will start to curl back onto itself when you take a step forward.  You are almost done!!!!

6)  Carefully guide your cord with each step--as you take a step forward, your cord will be twisting up on its own, so you need to keep an even tension.  I normally keep one hand on the "cord" area and slow the twisting action by only taking small steps and after each step, I look to make sure its looking nice.
If it gets tangled, or is twisting up too fast for you, simply take a step back.  Continue to do this till you reach the end, then tie the two ends together!!  You're done!!!

Now there are two methods to making this process so much faster--

1) Instead of using a straight object to twist your cord up, you can tie that end to your mixer (egg beater, hand mixer, the thing you use to make cakes and cookies) and use the lowest setting to twist that baby up!  Using this method means your cord will not look as nice when you are done, but dont worry, you simply run your hand up and down the cording till it falls into place.

2) This is my cheat, and I've used it lots!!!  When you go the local pharmacy or store where you buy your hair care products you'll see that they have this cute thing for pre-teens and teenagers to use in order to twist ribbons into their hair, or make hairstyles with.  Its pretty inexpensive, and I simply attach one end to my cords and twist away!!

I hope this helps and sorry for the long post!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-7-3 15:38
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-7-4 10:17
| Show all posts
Thank you tonna11 for the instructions. It was well detailed for us.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2011-8-17 03:44
| Show all posts
Thank you for taking the time to write such clear instructions.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 07:23 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057446 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list