| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1949|Reply: 23
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Dyeing your own Floss...

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-3-28 08:31
| Show all posts |Read mode
Has anyone tried this? o_o I just got a bunch of plain white cotton floss on the cheap, and I'd like to try dyeing it somehow. I've heard of various at-home techniques, like using kool-aid or laundry dye, but I have no experience with anything like this. I don't need it to be archival or wash-proof, just put some color on it that won't rub into the fabric while I'm stitching.

So, do you know a good way to dye cotton floss? :o

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-10-20 10:33
| Show all posts
This is a quite old thread but wanted to give my 2 cents since it seems alive still:
-There's plenty dyes nowadays that will work well on cotton, so the floss can absolutely be dyed.
-It is advisable to wash first anything you plan on dying. Some industry made yarns/floss/threads have a coat that might not react well with the dye.
-Always test first on a small batch. Heat time, type of dye and the usage of mordant can change results drastically! Taking notes is a good idea!
-Try to dye as much as you'll need for your project: hand dying will hardly end up the same in a second batch, that's the nature of hand dying stuff.
-If the result is uneven, don't lose heart and treat it as a variegated. Even if it doesn't look the best it can absolutely surprise you on a project :kiss:
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-29 12:18
| Show all posts
I have experience dyeing cotton. Plant-based fibers,  like cotton, need a different type of dye and a different mordant than animal-based fibers, like wool.
The best way is to use Procion fiber reactive dyes. You use soda ash as a mordant. Salt and urea can also be used to help the dye.
There are lots of resources on the internet about using procion dyes.

You can also use rit dyes, but they are not as colorfast.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
Jodi1224 + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 03:46
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 15:50
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 02:44
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-12-23 16:30
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-1 17:00
| Show all posts
Большое спасибо!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-4 18:48
| Show all posts
Good question

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-3-28 09:43
| Show all posts
I would like to  know about dyeing floss too.....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-3-28 12:26
| Show all posts
Side note: there is a post on here somewhere about dying fabric with watered-down acrylic paint; I have tried this with floss with poor results. The stiffening factor is good when you're doing fabric, but not floss. :(

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-5 15:15
| Show all posts
Well I would love to know how to do this as well, especially in many different colors!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-5 22:48
| Show all posts
May I suggest a google search for "Dye cotton threads". It will give you many hits on different techniques.

Also, most techniques for dying knitting yarn can be used for cotton floss.

Comments

I have done a few open searches, but there is so much info, I was hoping someone here would already have tried it and refined a method specifically for floss. The yarn methods, unfortunately, do not s  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-6 01:48

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-6 01:48
| Show all posts

I have done a few open searches, but there is so much info, I was hoping someone here would already have tried it and refined a method specifically for floss. The yarn methods, unfortunately, do not seem to work as well when the medium is floss... I think it has something to do with the mercerization treatment on floss threads, or perhaps with the overall tighter spin of the ply. Not sure. :c

Comments

You are correct about cotton floss not being as good as knitting yarn, of course. My bad. I have a mother whom has dyed yarn for years, and it does work with her techniques, but she gathers moss, gras  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-6 02:38

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-6 02:38
| Show all posts
SpiesForTheMoon replied at 2012-4-6 01:48
I have done a few open searches, but there is so much info, I was hoping someone here would alread ...

You are correct about cotton floss not being as good as knitting yarn, of course. My bad. I have a mother whom has dyed yarn for years, and it does work with her techniques, but she gathers moss, grass, flowers and the likes for her yarn, and does everything "from scratch". I had her in mind when I wrote that. Again; my bad.

Comments

Hey, no problem! In experimenting with different fibers for various projects over the years, I'm still maybe only 5% into all there is to learn about yarn and string and various elements of each... i  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-16 06:25

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-6 13:55
| Show all posts
I do know that it is better to rinse in a vinegar bath after dyeing. that way it will not bleed onto your fabric. Red was always bad to bleed. I try not to have to wash my stitching...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-11 14:51
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-15 21:51
| Show all posts
Did you decide on a dying method?  I think it'd be interesting to hand dye for a single colour chart and make the hand-dye variagated.

Comments

Actually, I've got a few experiments lined up, but I haven't tried them yet. Would you like to have a go? 1) Use leftover easter-egg dye with the instructions given on the box (just as for eggs)  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-16 06:32

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 16:02 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.100711 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list