Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 2496|Reply: 31
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Q-snap or frame?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-4-6 18:33
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,
I would like to start a new project soon, and it is going to be quite big :) It's a tapestry, and as I have not done anything so big yet, I would like to ask some advice: how would you recommend to do it, with a frame or with Q-snaps?
Thanks!
TJ

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-4-16 20:44
| Show all posts
I use Q-snaps... ever since I first came across them a few years ago, that's all I've used since. They come in several different sizes and some of them even have an extension kit to make them bigger. I will never use a hoop again. If you leave the clamps on the project all the time like I do, then they will start to become looser. When this happens I cut strips of felt and put it between the project and the clamps. This protects your stitches some as well as makes the clamps tighter on your project!
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-14 01:04
| Show all posts
I would definitely agree with the opinions here. Qsnaps are great, but they don't give you a ton of place to put the extra fabric. (you can bunch it up and clamp it to the side, but yeah, the bigger the project, the heavier that'll be!) Scroll frames are definitely nice for larger projects because you can roll the pattern and fabric as you go and its all kept nice and neat. And if you do want to 'change out' the design, you can take off the scroll rods its on and put in another pair, storing the piece on the rods for the time being.

That being said, I still love Q-snaps. The tension they give you on the fabric is great. I use these for all my smaller/medium pieces. Even the 8x8 frame is nice. I don't have a hoop so I haven't worked with one of those in quite some time, but I personally didn't care for how they crush the stitches. (My hoop snapped - I just replaced it with the small qsnap.) Though, obviously if you have a really small piece you need a tiny hoop - or do it 'in hand'. I know a lot of people do the big pieces like that too.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-7 22:55
| Show all posts
crossstitchgal 2018-7-6 22:23
What is the circumference of the Q-snap rods? I have small hands and trying to decide whether to b ...

The rods themselves are generally a half-inch rod. You can sometimes 'make' your own by getting 1/2" PVC pipe at the hardware store and cutting it/shaping it to your desired size, but you'll still need the qsnap clamps to hold the fabric on. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-6 22:23
| Show all posts
PuppyMom 2018-2-13 12:04
I would definitely agree with the opinions here. Qsnaps are great, but they don't give you a ton of  ...

What is the circumference of the Q-snap rods? I have small hands and trying to decide whether to buy one so I can try it out. I currently use scroll frames & will continue to do so but looking for alternatives for traveling.

Comments

The rods themselves are generally a half-inch rod. You can sometimes 'make' your own by getting 1/2" PVC pipe at the hardware store and cutting it/shaping it to your desired size, but you'll still nee  Details Reply Post time 2018-7-7 22:55

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-10-11 07:59
| Show all posts
Rachael4187 2018-4-16 20:44
I use Q-snaps... ever since I first came across them a few years ago, that's all I've used since. Th ...

Same! I also use small strips of Aida that I have trimmed off other finished projects to pad under the clamps. I bundle everything together with a grime guard.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-24 15:39
| Show all posts
I like q-snap because they give me the drum tight fabric feeling I had with the hoop but they don't leave any marks or stretch the fabric. I also noticed that at the beginning they where a little hard to take off but after a short time of usage they eventually softened up a little.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-7 23:15
| Show all posts
PuppyMom 2018-7-7 09:55
The rods themselves are generally a half-inch rod. You can sometimes 'make' your own by getting 1/ ...

Thanks - that's good to know. Next time I have a coupon from Michael or AC Moore, I'll get one.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-5 13:05
| Show all posts
This is great information but now I think I need to purchase a scroll frame as I only have a smaller qsnap at the moment and have just brought the materials to make a big project. Thank you for all your information.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-1-21 06:15
| Show all posts
I prefer qsnaps but my projects are almost always small.  Like less than 12 inches square

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-7 10:54
| Show all posts
Mostly I stitch "in hand" without any frame, even on designs where the fabric size is larger than 28"x28".  I just roll it up and hold it in my left hand and stitch with my right.  However, I also like to use Snaps and scroll frames sometimes.  Over the years, I've mostly used scroll frames.  My father made them for me so I had several lengths of arms and rods to accommodate the various sizes of fabrics.  These worked good for large projects for the obvious reason that they kept the fabric rolled and out of the way.  But these can be expensive to buy on-line or at a store.  A couple years ago my friend showed me her Q-Snaps.  They were so easy to use and light weight and now I have several of them.  The Q-Snaps are versatile and come in many sizes so you can mix and match short sides with long sides to make the perfect fit for your size of fabric.  And the Q-Snaps keep the tension very well, too.  If you are like me though and mostly stitch without any frame/hoop, and also I like to keep my hands on top of the fabric, using a sort of sewing technique, you can still use the Q-Snap, just don't tighten the fabric too much.  Hope this gives you some more ideas.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 00:24
| Show all posts
I have never used the Q-snaps myself, so I can not advise you on them.
I always used a scroll frame for large projects. Recently I got a floor stand with scroll frame attachment and I would never use anything else now.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-10 07:37
| Show all posts
I use scroll frames for larger projects and highly recommend them. I have used Qsnaps and really like high taut they hold the fabric but wouldn't use them for very large projects.  A down side to using scroll frames is that they can be heavy and you may need to use a floor stand as well. but this can also be helpful as you can then do 2 handed stitching and once you are use to stitching with both hands it can increase your stitching speed. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-10 16:26
| Show all posts
Thank you :) Actually I could try a frame at the weekend and I really liked it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-11 12:13
| Show all posts
When I first started to stitch I used hoops and frames.... but now I always stitch in hand no matter what size the design is....

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-11 12:36
| Show all posts
when i'm doing my haed i always use Qsnap. the others, never use any frame. just hold it with my hand

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-11 14:02
| Show all posts
This is going to be HAED too :) Garden of delights, so beautiful :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-11 14:12
| Show all posts
:D all haed was beautiful. my suggestion is using Qsnap. but in the end, it depend personal habit :D

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-11 14:34
| Show all posts
Anyway, thanks for the reply :) Have a nice day!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 10:05 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.085154 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list