| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 6838|Reply: 48
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How do you use variegated thread?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-4-16 12:21
| Show all posts |Read mode
...I mean, you stitch with it, obviously, but how do you personally apply it in your work? I love the way the colors shift, but whenever I try to apply it to a design, it just ends up making lots of stripes. Is there a trick or special method you know of to make it more appealing? I've heard of reversing two strands to get an even color "tweed" effect, but that just makes it look kinda... well, like static?

I don't know what to do with it to get a nice effect. ;_;

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-4-22 00:51
| Show all posts
Take your mouline in two floss (depends on canvas count) and finish each xstitch. You can stitch it horizontal or vertical rows then your shades changes will go horizontal it vertical. Variegated floss with long color block looks more naturally
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-25 07:55
| Show all posts
Try this download - lots of borders using the DMC variegated floss

Leisure Arts 4617 - Variegated Floral Borders by Linda Gillum
http://www.pindiy.com/forum.php? ... 1&fromuid=73186
(Source: www.pindiy.com)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-14 07:21
| Show all posts
I always stitch a whole cross with any thread, that way you don't have to undo a whole row if one cross is wrong.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-28 22:33
| Show all posts
Very interesting! I've been wanting to try variegated thread myself, so these are some great tips.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-12-18 23:19
| Show all posts
При вышивании такими нитками нужно вышивать каждый крестик отдельно.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-5-7 19:51 From mobile phones
| Show all posts
i use it for borders and butterfly wings...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 22:42
| Show all posts
Спасибо за информацию!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:16
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 08:21
| Show all posts
thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-19 16:11
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-16 12:52
| Show all posts
Sometimes stripes just look lovely. But if I don't want stripes, I do avoid stitching in rows.
With variegated thread you should stitch both legs of a cross anyway before going to the next cross.
Depending what I stitch I figure a way to avoid stripes. When I do a Quaker motif for example, I follow the inner motif, then outer, instead of doing the whole thing in rows.
For a larger area, like grass, I might go up and down for several rows. then a bit diagonal, just playing around to avoid the rows.
That being said, rows can look just great too at times.
And really curious if there are other tricks.

Comments

Thanks for great tips!  Post time 2014-4-21 00:59
Great tips! I usually avoid variegated threads as I don't know how to use them either. Thanks a lot!  Post time 2013-6-30 17:28
Great tips! I usually avoid variegated threads as I don't know how to use them either. Thanks a lot!  Post time 2013-6-30 17:28
o_o Oh, that is a good idea. I had never even considered starting in the inside and going around and around to the outside.... (is that what you meant?) Is there any sort of trick to doing this withou  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-17 07:54

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
Blackhat + 1 Usefull
WiseOwl + 4 Just what I would have said!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-16 13:40
| Show all posts
Oh I like the idea of reversing the strands! I'm gonna have to give that a try. I'll be stitching with variegated soon on wip and was wondering about how it will look. Thanks for the tip!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-16 14:38
| Show all posts
I've never used it for cross stitch - not even sure if I have any variegated threads ...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-16 14:43
| Show all posts
I'm using them as they come.
Sometimes this stripe effect is so nice

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-16 22:11
| Show all posts
spiesformoon it depends on the design, i have stitched two ink circles designs using variegated both pictures are on the site, you can check them out, one is a cirque des circles and cirque des carreuax the later one is under the wip, i have stitched several more designs with variegated, and have not reversed the strands but it sounds a good idea, i will try it on any one of my small projects to check out the effect.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-17 07:34
| Show all posts
I put the number of two colors mixed with the one line I have seen.
as expected, I was pretty.^^;;
variegated thread seems to be a good thing to use.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-4-17 07:54
| Show all posts

o_o Oh, that is a good idea. I had never even considered starting in the inside and going around and around to the outside.... (is that what you meant?) Is there any sort of trick to doing this without wasting a lot of thread carrying it across the back for motifs that aren't relatively filled like Quakers?

I think I'll try going diagonally next time... :D Thanks so much for the help!

Comments

Yes that is what I meant SpyFortheMoon. I don't think it cost me very much more floss. Bc when using variegated floss I stitch both legs of every cross immediately, I basically "wander around" anyw  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-17 08:44

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-17 08:44
| Show all posts
SpiesForTheMoon replied at 2012-4-17 07:54
o_o Oh, that is a good idea. I had never even considered starting in the inside and going around a ...

Yes that is what I meant SpyFortheMoon. I don't think it cost me very much more floss. Bc when using variegated floss I stitch both legs of every cross immediately, I basically "wander around" anyway. It feels like taking simply a different direction.

Quaker.JPG

In the picture you can see what I mean. First the inner motiv, then the star, with hopping in between to the little motifs. Even the outer edge is splitted in 2 parts.

Comments

Very informative and good illustration of your meaning!  Post time 2012-4-18 18:31
This is really pretty and a great example!  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-17 11:49

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +5 Collapse Reason
sallyrose + 5 Usefull

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-4-17 11:48
| Show all posts
Edited by sanae1 at 2012-4-17 11:51

I stitch with many cotton and silk variegated threads.  I stitch both legs of the cross before going on to the next.  You get the full effect of the variances in the colors if you do it this way.  Depending on the individual design, I try to do my stitches in a way that best enhances the design.  As suggested previously, (and I agree) to stitch individual motifs of a Quaker design different from say a large multi-row area.  If stitching background of a sunset or water, etc you may want to work your stitches in a horizontal manner rather than vertically.  Also consider if using threads for both house and grass, I would stitch both areas in a horizontal pattern as much as the design allows so there is symmetry in the overall look when finished.  Most of all it is just your preference as to how you want the finished result to look.  

Comments

Thanks for good explanation  Post time 2014-4-21 01:03

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 21:21 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.093527 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list