Register
View: 1581|Reply: 23
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Washing your finished project

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-8-10 05:41
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2015-8-7 18:08

Do you wash your finished work? If so how?

I ask as i am afraid to wash my finished works as i tried once and managed to make part of the fabric turn yellow and it took me ages to find a frame that would cover my error!

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :D:D:D

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
inmastitcher + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-10-20 10:40
| Show all posts
Ideally you'll want to wash things before even working with them if you suspect that colors can bleed. Specially if it's hand dyed. This way you can see how much of the color is lost or if the slight humidity can make part of it bleed into something else.
Sometimes when the case is bad enough even contact with sweat can ruin something. Other times a dark hand dyed thread can bleed into a lighter background out of nowhere, or vice versa. I remember my grandma having some hand dyed kitchen towels with some embroidery and after a while you almost couldn't see the embroidery anymore due to the darker fabric bleeding into it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-27 03:33
| Show all posts
If I used hand dyed fabric or floss, I try not to wash the piece because I'm afraid the colors will run. For those, I just try to be clean as possible. For other pieces, I soak it warm water with woolite or just a bit of baby shampoo

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-21 18:40
| Show all posts

Robię dokładnie tak samo i wszystko jest ok :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 01:08
| Show all posts
I wash in lukewarm water with Orvus, which is horse shampoo, they sell it in quilting shops

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-11-2 10:35
| Show all posts
Colored aida I was before stitching. I wash all finished projects before framing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-11 22:22
| Show all posts
I wash my embroidery with soap or fabric softener.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-22 08:30
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for sharing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-20 17:15
| Show all posts
Gracias por la información

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-7 04:21
| Show all posts
following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:41
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-10 05:54
| Show all posts
I always wash my finished work as the fabric becomes quite dirty. I soak it in lukewarm water with washing powder. I then rinse it in lukewarm water as well and dry it flat.

Comments

Thank you for the advice it really is appreciated  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-10 21:23

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-10 18:56
| Show all posts
I tend to wash the majority of my finished works.  I will hand wash them in warm water with washing powder and a thorough warm rinse.  Then iron whilst still wet face down on a thick towel.

Comments

Thank you for the advice it really is appreciated  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-10 21:24

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-10 21:23
| Show all posts
maureen1959 replied at 2012-8-10 05:54
I always wash my finished work as the fabric becomes quite dirty. I soak it in lukewarm water with w ...

Thank you for the advice it really is appreciated  :D

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-10 21:24
| Show all posts
langstep replied at 2012-8-10 18:56
I tend to wash the majority of my finished works.  I will hand wash them in warm water with washing  ...

Thank you for the advice it really is appreciated  :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-11 01:41
| Show all posts
I wash mine as well.  I use a gentle detergent - one that is designed for dedicates.  Hand wash them in lukewarm water and I roll them in a towel to dry.  When they are just damp then I iron them on a low steam setting to get out any remaining creases or wrinkles.  I always use a press cloth to iron so that the iron never touches the fabric :-)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-16 12:12
| Show all posts
I wash my finished pieces in Synthrapol-- it's the same stuff dyers rinse their newly-dyed floss and fabric in. It has something in it that keeps released dye molecules from settling back into the fabric so even if a floss bleeds, it doesn't stain!

You can buy it from any online supplier that sells Jacquard or Procion dyes or from any good art supply store that sells dyes.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-30 06:16
| Show all posts
I have always used Woolite, it is very gentle & I've never had any problems, it seems to clean my work just fine by swishing it around & letting it soak for awhile.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-3 03:56
| Show all posts
I was given a piece that was improperly stored and very aged and I thought permanently stained. My friend gave me some liquid for baby's wash and it got all the stains out and it was sweet smelling when done. It was very gentle and the colours didn't bleed. I was very pleased with the end results of this piece.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 22:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.055304 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list