Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1580|Reply: 13
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Sewing with linen

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-8-12 09:48
| Show all posts |Read mode
I know how to set up and use the basic functions of my sewing machine. I can sew a straight line on muslin. BUT - I have never successfully sewn anything yet.

I want to turn this into a pillow, using cotton fabric as the backing.

SB sweet heart pic.jpg
(Not my stitching, I'll post pics of the finished product.)

My question is this - if I mess it up, can I remove the sewn seam and start over? Will doing this distort the linen? Any tips on the best way to remove a seam if it is necessary? (I am mostly afraid of it being crooked)

Thank you in advance for anybody who can give me some hints!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-4-8 03:04
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 03:41
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-12 12:35
| Show all posts
Get yourself a seam ripper.  You use this to tear through the thread that was sewn not the fabric.  If I were you I would practice sewing on scrap before doing your final project. The fabric shouldn't distort if you remove the sewn seam.

Comments

Thank you - I do have a seam ripper, I didn't think about using it here for some reason! It's a good idea to practice. I'll do that, too. Thanks for your help, stitchgal!  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-12 23:27

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
allycetheredd + 2 Usefull

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-12 23:27
| Show all posts

Thank you - I do have a seam ripper, I didn't think about using it here for some reason!

It's a good idea to practice. I'll do that, too.

Thanks for your help, stitchgal!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-13 23:51
| Show all posts
You could try 'counting out' a certain number of threads on each side of your project, mark them with a hand basting stitch, and then sew on that line with your machine.  The basting stitches are easily removed afterwards, and your stitching should not come out crooked.  Practicing beforehand on scrap linen should be beneficial.  Good luck :>) !

Comments

This is how I have done it before - worked great, but I agree to practise first.  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-14 21:27
Good idea - I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure if it could be removed if I got some of the basting thread on the visible side of the seam. Thanks!  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-14 00:47

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-14 00:47
| Show all posts
SherryleeA replied at 2012-8-13 23:51
You could try 'counting out' a certain number of threads on each side of your project, mark them wit ...

Good idea - I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure if it could be removed if I got some of the basting thread on the visible side of the seam. Thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-14 21:27
| Show all posts
SherryleeA replied at 2012-8-13 23:51
You could try 'counting out' a certain number of threads on each side of your project, mark them wit ...

This is how I have done it before - worked great, but I agree to practise first. :D

Comments

Lots of practice! It was a quick stitch, but I still don't want to mess it up.  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-15 11:23

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-15 11:23
| Show all posts
Dancemom replied at 2012-8-14 21:27
This is how I have done it before - worked great, but I agree to practise first.

Lots of practice! It was a quick stitch, but I still don't want to mess it up. :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-19 21:39
| Show all posts
To mark can use a pilot is removed by washing, or brand FriXion pilot, this pilot is removed with heat from the iron.

Para marcar puedes utilizar un pilot que se elimina al lavarlo, o marca con pilot frixion, este pilot se elimina con el calor de la plancha.  

Comments

Great suggestion! I'll look for one of those. Thank you.  Details Reply Post time 2012-8-19 23:30

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-8-19 23:30
| Show all posts
Lief replied at 2012-8-19 21:39
To mark can use a pilot is removed by washing, or brand FriXion pilot, this pilot is removed with he ...

Great suggestion! I'll look for one of those. Thank you. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-8-20 08:34
| Show all posts
You're welcome.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-12 22:56 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.088406 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list