secretkeeper Publish time 2012-10-16 06:10

C. A. Wells finishing technique

Has anyone taken a class with C.A. Wells who has finished using her Sam and Bertha method?I am hoping someone here could explain how to do this...step by step?Thank you.

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 04:03

Thank so much for sharing

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 03:12

Thanks for the info!

Bluejay Publish time 2012-10-16 09:29

I had no idea on what you girl were talking about so I googled it. Now I'm curious about this method too. Will be checking this thread later to see if anyone has some advices to offer.
http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/368/368959bc81nd29tx.gif

Verank Publish time 2012-10-16 11:25

I find myself also having a go at google- i see someone also called it the binding stitch? I will keep on looking!

nanasitasue Publish time 2012-10-16 15:38

I found this on a stitching forum. It explains the terminology but not how to do it. I'll keep looking

Lois,

I'll try to explain a little ...

Now, Sam and Bertha are a harder to explain. You probably know that all CA Wells projects are finished by hand from the outside -- no "right sides together and machine stitch seam" in a CA project. So, in order to join the pieces together from the outside, she has created a number of special techniques. Some involve stitching a double-wrapped four sided stitch along the border of each piece. This gives you a good "edge" to work from in joining the pieces together. Anyway, if you look at your double-wrapped four sided stitches, you notice that some holes made by your four sided stitches in your linen are "big" and some are "small". Big = Bertha, Small = Sam. So Bertha and Sam and just memory aids to remind you of the big and small holes.

The "clergyman" is the thread that joins Sam and Bertha together, thus joining your two pieces of linen together.

Now this probably makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but once you've been through class with CA, I'm sure you'll "get it". Her kits contain some very well done examples, and CA explains it all far better than I ever could.

You're in for a treat with your first class with CA. She's unique!

Mary, who hasn't had a class with CA for a couple of years, and misses it!

nanasitasue Publish time 2012-10-16 16:11

I've spent some time on the interenet researching this lady. her classes are the main way of selling her patterns and I can't find any reference to her methods of stitching other than the one I posted earlier. It would appear it is a method of finishing off her 3d projects such as cottages or decorations. It has been referred to as blind blanket stitch by one lady and blind hemming stitch by another. That's all I could find, sorry:(

malida02 Publish time 2012-10-16 16:52

je m'immisce dans la conversation sans vraiment avoir suivi ; je crois avoir compris que vous cherchez une méthode pour joindre 2 pièces ; pourquoi ne pas utiliser la méthode de couture du biscornu ? c.a.d faire une couture sur tout le tour des pièces et ensuite utiliser ces coutures pour les assembler en les prenant l'une apres l'autre, voir sur le lien ci apres l'explication :
oups je ne suis pas autorisée à poser des url mais apres www. c'est créative-poppy-pattern en .com et une fois sur le site vous cherchez "comment-réaliser-biscornu
j'espère avoir correctement contourné l'interdiction ! lol

il y a aussi la technique utilisée pour fermer un coussin, si on fait des petits points, c'est vraiment invisible.
pardon si je ne suis pas dans le sujet de la discussion mais la traduction est vraiment bizarre ! lol
bonne journée

bizzylizzy Publish time 2013-1-2 22:07

Never heard of it, will keep looking at this thread!

rteixeira63 Publish time 2013-4-24 23:21

I have never heard of this!

apexmom Publish time 2014-7-19 03:52

Thanks for the explanation.

Flossie Publish time 2014-8-26 15:03

static/image/common/user_online.gif Bluejay static/image/common/clock.gif 2012-10-16 01:29 static/image/common/back.gif
I had no idea on what you girl were talking about so I googled it. Now I'm curious about this method ...

Same here will Google it too:)
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: C. A. Wells finishing technique