raven Publish time 2010-9-15 11:49

tips: Stitching with silks

What tips do you have for stitching with silk floss? Which brand is best? Are the conversion charts for DMC to silks? Can I use thread heaven or beeswax on silk like I have on cotton? How do you wash the finished project with silk before framing? Any other tips, thoughts or ideas? Thank you!!!:)

viky Publish time 2024-4-5 04:22

Great tips! Thank you very much for sharing!

tuanbao2012 Publish time 2019-2-23 15:53

Thank you very much for sharing.

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 02:42

Following this thread

xsmom214 Publish time 2011-3-12 10:37

Hi Raven:)I love stitching with silks!

Gloriana is my favorite but it's expensive so I don't use it often.Hand Dyed Fibers by Vikki Clayton is wonderful and the prices can't be beat.She does have a full conversion from DMC to her silks on her website.She even has some chart conversions already done and will convert a design for you if you ask.

I would never use Thread Heaven or anything else on my silks.

I use a lot of hand dyed threads so I never wash a piece when I'm finished.Even if the label says it's colorfast, I wouldn't trust it.I'm very careful when stitching and I've never needed to wash any of my finishes.

A tip that worked for me, use shorter strands than you would with cotton.You want to keep the "silky" look and feel, and the fewer times it goes through the holes, the better.

Hope this helps:)

Nekostitch Publish time 2011-4-27 12:41

Thanks. very handy tips.THat shorter thread tip at the end also works for metallic threads since those will fray if you pull them thru too many holes.

threadbare Publish time 2011-6-12 05:34

very handy tips, I've not done much with silks yet, have some in my collection waiting to be used :)

xsstitcher Publish time 2011-6-16 07:42

Thank you for the tips. I love working with silks.

chrisnz44 Publish time 2011-7-16 06:13

thanks for sharing

sallyrose Publish time 2011-7-17 03:53

Reply 2# xsmom214

I am thinking of trying silk threads for my first time, so I really appreciate your tips.
Not knowing anything about them, I could not decide which brand to try first. I am glad to read about your preferences. Thanks for posting.

rteixeira63 Publish time 2013-4-25 06:54

All very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Bleu Publish time 2013-4-27 02:11

Belle Soie or Au Ver A Soie are wonderful silks, the colors are more blending than Cotton

Jazzi Publish time 2013-6-29 13:58

Thanks for the tips everyone, I too have never stitched with silk and would really like to try them. I appreciate the brand names too, now I know what to look for.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: tips: Stitching with silks