Jazzi Publish time 2013-6-22 15:15

What is a Biscornu used for?

Ever since I joined the forum I have seen tutorials and patterns for making Biscornus and I have no idea what they are used for? I have even seen them in my Cross Stitch magazines and I still have no clue what they are used for.

I'm guessing based on the finished ones that I have seen that they are a decoration or type of ornament?

Thanks for your help!

magenta13 Publish time 2013-6-29 18:11

Edited by magenta13 at 2013-6-29 11:33

They are used as ornaments or pincushions.I made a stack of them to resemble a christmas tree, it was from a free pattern on the net - Wyrdbyrd's Nest Quirky Quistmas Twee.I stitched mine on green Aida with metallic threads!!

You can make different sorts of biscornu, star or flower-shaped, pagoda-shaped etc.Some have 15 sides instead of just two.

You can say the same thing about humbugs and strawberries which make ornaments and pincushions too, they are just fun to d!!.

This picture is from Wyrdbyrd's Nest website:

https://27a4bde4-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/wyrdbyrdsnest/quirky-quistmas-twee/DSCF0006.JPG?attachauth=ANoY7cpehxaLsqk19ORI0s1D28oZtq25Ao2lPQLCxIXPoTI1BbarTQCV9V8MfbBmqPJzrGp_jasBwoMyOW96fs689FoQrjQ9BP9W4jdJqAKpHaECPGdY9UwN3CceczASm7QmDkFHgBpytZSylr5zM6XOfEyUGRNAsqzZ9IjbYiufaL1qpvrdRwra29KSomYNt8-JMZ6h0aWKsS6d7ftqBw5KcSYcVlv7wAWM2py6bCmvfCrySsjrqDI%3D&attredirects=0

mns5bsl Publish time 2013-6-22 16:11

Let us have wikipedia tell it.:)Copied and pasted....

A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed ornamental pincushion, usually made out of Aida cloth or linen. Embroidery or cross-stitch is used to decorate the top and bottom of the cushion. A button is typically secured in the center of the cushion to give a small depression on the top. Beads, tassels and other objects can decorate the biscornu. They are typically able to fit in the palm of your hand. The name is derived from a French adjective, meaning skewed, quirky or irregular.

ddevalco Publish time 2016-5-24 02:11

They come in many different sizes.So some of them are great for pincushions.In the finishing process, you can sew a ribbon into your seam so it can hang as an ornament.Like so many other things in stitching, they are meant to be pretty and bring pleasure.A bowl full them is beautiful.Just like we frame and hang large stitched pieces on the wall, the small ones are for display on a corner table, in a hutch, etc.

CraftTeaLady Publish time 2021-11-11 03:45

static/image/common/user_online.gif magenta13 static/image/common/clock.gif 2013-6-29 18:11
They are used as ornaments or pincushions.I made a stack of them to resemble a christmas tree, it...

THIS is gorgeous!I have seen them in stores, but might need to make one!Love it.

Jully Publish time 2017-6-11 19:59

Biscornu - it's just cute handy stuff for needlework or embroidery. All needles are in one place, at hand. Moreover, embroidered biscorna pleases the eye. At me, the truth, the cat drags needles from this biscornu.

mardy Publish time 2021-3-8 21:33

static/image/common/user_online.gif magenta13 static/image/common/clock.gif 2013-6-29 18:11
They are used as ornaments or pincushions.I made a stack of them to resemble a christmas tree, it...

That is beautiful, very elegant

kamuciahotmail Publish time 2021-1-29 22:24

Biscornut e una Parola Francesca. Vol dire storto. Toecido. Serve Como alfiletero. Per pinchar i aghi mientra ricami ammo. Grazie

mardy Publish time 2020-2-4 05:34

When I take off my wedding rings at night I put them on a biscornu on my bedside table

NorseArcher Publish time 2018-5-3 03:33

i like that biscornus are a different way to finish a xs piece other than to frame it

Gilani110 Publish time 2021-11-12 12:42

ive mostly seen them used to decor, but you can use it as a pin cushion too

MFSK Publish time 2013-6-22 15:40

all I know is that it can be either used as a pin cushion or an ornament :)

Jazzi Publish time 2013-6-22 15:55

MFSK replied at 2013-6-22 01:40 static/image/common/back.gif
all I know is that it can be either used as a pin cushion or an ornament

LOL That was my guess too although many I have seen would make really BIG pin cushions.

Thanks!

FairyPr Publish time 2013-6-22 16:20

I have to admit I always wondered the same - what exactly are they used for!They are too big for a pin cushion and usually too beautiful it seems to 'waste' as pin cushion!

Jazzi Publish time 2013-6-22 16:59

mns5bsl replied at 2013-6-22 02:11 static/image/common/back.gif
Let us have wikipedia tell it.    Copied and pasted....

A biscornu is a small, 8-sided, stuffed o ...

Thank you, I guess that is the easy way ;P However I do appreciate the very precise definition.

magpire Publish time 2013-6-22 23:47

I've made a few as gifts with some decorative pins in them.I like to put scented sachets in them.

A friend has stitched lots 1 over 1 on 25ct so they are smaller and hangs them on her christmas tree.

LouAnna Publish time 2013-6-23 00:20

Since we are on the subject of biscornus, what about humbugs or needlerolls; they fall under the same category.   They are a pretty handmade ornament and they can be seasonal.I've seen some gorgeous ones by Victoria Sampler and many are free on their site.

urmel Publish time 2013-6-23 01:17

I received a biscornu as a gift a few years ago and I use it as a pin cushion. :)

sassypants Publish time 2013-6-23 14:12

for me, it would be animal fodder.The cats would bat it around long enough to get Shelby and Miles's attention and that watch and cackle in glee.The cats work in tandem with the dogs and are always knocking stuff down for them to shred!!I have to worry more about Shelby (the dog) getting my bobbins and shredding them (do you know how many needles are lost in my house?? )Each person only had to "find" a needle in a foot or butt 1 time and everyone picks their feet up now and looks before they sit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
View full version: What is a Biscornu used for?