nudkks Publish time 2013-9-25 18:30

Help with a stocking

Last year when my son was born 10 weeks before Christmas he was bought THREE (spoiled I know) 'My First Christmas' Stockings.Well I am at a loss to find one I like for this year as it will be his second Christmas so those ones just won't do.

I have seen a few nice Christmas stocking designs and know I would have no problems with the Cross Stitch but how would I make it up?I know to back it - but wouldn't know the best material - and I know it will need something around it at the seams/join to make it look neat but wouldn't know what or how.My knowledge base is cross stitch, aida and evenweave - I can use a sewing machine to do a basic stitch but that's about it.

Please can someone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?I will be stitching on 11 count aida to make the stocking nice and big but I do want it to last more than a couple of years as well. x

Thank you for any assistance in advance x

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 03:07

Following this thread

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 06:42

Thanks for the info!

maureen1959 Publish time 2013-9-25 19:01

I hope you find the help you need :D I would also like to know how to make up a stocking :D

nudkks Publish time 2013-9-25 19:19

fingers crossed someone can help us x

Spookytooth Publish time 2013-9-25 19:19

Nancy Halvorsen is a designer who does lots of Christmas designs, including panels for making stockings, with instructions on the panel.I know this is not cross stitch, but you could use the panels as a template for the front of the stocking?Then make it up as you wish, with a Christmas design on the back in cotton.There are also demonstrations on YouTube on how to go about making up a stocking.Happy stitching.

Lindy Lou Publish time 2013-9-25 20:35

Good Luck with your search.

LouAnna Publish time 2013-9-25 22:19

I agree, youtube will have greattutorials on finishing your stocking!

medillon61 Publish time 2013-9-25 23:12

Here are two different sites that explain how to do it... good luck with your project cannot wait to see the finished piece :)

.life123.com/hobbies/knit-crochet/needlework/how-to-make-cross-stitch-christmas-stockings.shtml

.embroidery-methods.com/counted-cross-stitch-christmas-stocking.html

nudkks Publish time 2013-9-25 23:17

Thank you for sharing these - I am off to have a look now :) need to decide which of the stocking design I want to do so I can make a start! x

nudkks Publish time 2013-9-26 00:41

thanks for all your answers the links are a great help too x I think I have the right idea for finishing it now x just need to pick a design and get stitching x

seditas Publish time 2013-9-28 10:01

Esta informacion me ha venido muy bien, gracias a todas
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Help with a stocking