tcca Publish time 2014-1-5 12:35

How to grid faster? Need tips..

I have been gridding for a project and OMG it is taking so long. I have been gridding for a whole day now, and I still haven't finished the fabric yet - it is 16" x 20" .. I am using a contrasting color to grid and putting lines in at every 20 threads since I am stitching over 2.I don't like to use a pencil to grid, but really there must be a faster way!

Does anyone have any tips on how to make this go faster?

orionjes12 Publish time 2018-2-8 21:58

I gridded my fabric with washable pens by 10's or just following the stitch count on the pattern so I will not make a mistake. I will just based my marks on what the grid in the pattern.

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 06:50

Following this thread

Whisper whisper Publish time 2024-4-19 15:35

Thanks for sharing

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-9 03:42

Thanks for the info!

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 03:25

Thanks for the info!

medillon61 Publish time 2014-1-5 13:06

DMC makes a pen and pencil just for this.It works great.

LouAnna Publish time 2014-1-5 14:20

When I grid, I grid by sheet.   I don't do the whole cloth, yes I will mark the centre, but if I'm working from left to right I do the top, sides and bottom lines of the sheets, if I am "out" on a part, then I will grid to see where I went wrong.    So if I have 3 sheets across the top, I grid those, when I am finished them I grid the next 3 pages down and so on.
I am too impatient to grid the whole darned thing.
I did read in a post from an embroiderer that stated some of the marking pens will have marks that turn yellow over time.    I use fishing line then remove it.   I don't trust the pens and some pencil won't come out, I'm not going to do a major project then have it get ruined over time because I didn't know if the pen ink would leave traces or not.

pepperjack Publish time 2014-1-5 14:38

There is alos gridded fabric out there as well. If your doing something that the fabric color is no worry I'l look into that then.

fei2x Publish time 2014-1-5 15:38

I grid my fabric with Pilot Frixion all the time. The ink will disappear when you heat it with a clothes iron. The ink will only re-appear if you pop your fabric in the freezer. I've been using these pens in 2 years and they're great and fast to use and erase.

CutieMark Publish time 2014-1-5 16:10

I use a blue quilter's pen - washes out in water, and fades slowly otherwise.
I've been curious about the Frixion pens though, i'll be trying it in my next 'for me' piece just in case. ;)

StitchnTime Publish time 2014-1-16 22:16

I had gridded a piece of fabric for a large project a few months ago.I didn't like the way it was turning out on 14 ct so I decided to redo it on a smaller count.Since the fabric was already gridded, I decided to re-purpose it for another large project which should be fine on 14ct white.
Anyway, I realized where I started stitching was off so I washed the fabric to take the grid lines off of it and I SWEAR that I can still see them even tho everyone else says they don't see anything.Am I just imagining things?

Hammy Publish time 2014-2-2 21:52

I only grid really large pieces and with an 50 x 50 grid.
The long stitches are 5 hole long, but I do full lines 50 hole distance from each other.
Works for me.

listgifts Publish time 2014-2-12 06:29

static/image/common/user_online.gif LouAnna static/image/common/clock.gif 2014-1-5 14:20 static/image/common/back.gif
When I grid, I grid by sheet.   I don't do the whole cloth, yes I will mark the centre, but if I'm w ...

Does fishing line come in colors that can be seen on white?

hedgehog69 Publish time 2014-2-12 07:31

i will try fishing line. it's kinda blue-ish
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: How to grid faster? Need tips..