zitocleo Publish time 2011-1-17 00:57

Relatively Easy DIY framing

I've been using this method for 4 years, and the more times I do it, the easier it gets. I will include pics soon. I'll be framing the cross stitch I just started later this week, and we'll take pics as we go, but in the meantime, here are the basic instructions.

Tools:
temporary adhesive spray glue (from craft store)
1/4" plywood
electric staplegun
pushpins
openback photo frame (from craft store)

1 - Based on the size of the cross stitch, pick an open-back frame from your craft shop. (You can also custom make your own frame, but that's less easy :) )

2 - Measure the inside opening of back of the frame, and cut (or have cut at your DIY shop) a piece of 1/4" plywood to measure 1/4" smaller than the opening on the frame. This is important, as you want there to be room for the fabric to fit into the back of the frame after it's been wrapped around the plywood.

3 - Using temporary spray adhesive from your craft store, spray the entire back of your washed/ironed cross stitch.

4 - Centering carefully, spread your cross stitch out on the plywood brace. Temp spray is repositionable, so reposition as necessary til your cross stitch is smooth and straight, and there is an extra overlap on all sides to be folded back.

5 - Turn the whole thing over (place a towel on the surface you're working on if there's a danger that your cross stitch will get dirty ).

6 - Using pushpins to hold in place, stretch and pin the excess fabric to the back of the brace.

7 - (If you can get someone to help hold here, do so!) Using 1/4" staples, staple the fabric every few inches along the back, starting at the center of each side and working out. Especially make sure the corners are securely stapled. Remove pushpins as you staple.

8 - Put your now braced cross stitch into the back of the premade frame, and using 1/4" staples, staple across the gap every 4" to keep the cross stitch in your frame.

9 - Attach picture hanger and hang.

10 - Enjoy. :D

(If you like the more rustic, unframed canvas look, you can forego the premade frame and just follow the above instructions to brace your cross stitch. This style works very well in ultra-modern decor.)

PM me with any questions, and I'll try to help. Like I said above, soon as I do it again and take pics, I'll update this. :)

Crystal

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 02:35

Following this thread

redler Publish time 2017-9-9 22:44

Thank you. Nice info

mrsdr79 Publish time 2015-11-18 10:45

very nice!! thanks

eeyipes Publish time 2016-1-27 23:53

great thanks

zitocleo Publish time 2011-1-18 00:57

To each their own. ;)

I've gotten so used to adhesives in machine embroidery that it comes naturally for me to use them in hand embroidery as well. Your average temporary adhesive spray glue is basically a combination of spray starch and sugar water, neither of which have any corosive qualities on cotton. But if you're working for heirloom quality to last 100 years, I guess it's better safe than sorry. At the speed and for the prices that I do them, every corner I can cut helps. :) (Most customers would have a heart attack at spending $100 to frame something that they only paid $40 for in the first place.)

galadriel Publish time 2011-1-26 15:53

I often use to frame my cross stitch works with a patchwork frame made of fabrics, of course if you are able to sew is a nice alternative and also if you also don't have so big pattern to frame

Happy_Stitcher Publish time 2011-2-14 22:06

Thanks for sharing this great tips. I'm waiting for the pictures for easier instructions. :D

mafalda123 Publish time 2011-3-15 21:07

Thanks for sharing, a few photos would be great!

threadbare Publish time 2011-6-12 03:50

photos please :)

xsstitcher Publish time 2011-6-16 09:15

Thank you for for tips. These are most helpful.

泉萍恒 Publish time 2011-6-25 10:18

新人报道,天雷滚滚~~~~~~~~新人驾到

sallyrose Publish time 2011-7-2 03:10

Thank you for your instructions. I look forward to seeing your photos.

xstmad Publish time 2011-7-31 20:24

Some great tips there interesting use of spray adhesive never thought of that might give it a try thank you for your time making these instructions x
Pages: [1] 2 3
View full version: Relatively Easy DIY framing