sweetpea Publish time 2011-2-28 15:24

Hardanger, oh my..

What is Hardanger embroidery?
Hardangersom (or Hardangersaum), is Norwegian for 'embroidery from Hardanger', and refers to the style of needlework that many of us know as Hardanger embroidery.
Hardanger embroidery is a style of cutwork embroidery that originates from the Hardanger region of Norway. Traditionally, it involves white embroidery on white fabric, where the removal of some of the fabric's threads produce a lacy effect.Traditional Hardanger embroidery
Hardanger was originally worked in bands of embroidery across items such as aprons, shirts, and household linen. It often featured:
http://www.vettycreations.com.au/hardanger-traditional.jpgRunner featuring traditional-style Hardanger embroidery designed by Yvette Stanton

[*]diamond, triangular or square motifs of cutwork[*]satin stitching in rectangular blocks (kloster blocks) and other shapes[*]pulled thread work in the form of four-sided stitch[*]cable stitch[*]eyelets[*]borders of needleweaving and four-sided stitch along each long side of the embroidery (which were usually the top and bottom).

Within the parameters described above, there was a huge amount of room for creativity in design of Hardanger needlework patterns. The designs are hugely varied, and very beautiful. The filling stitches used in the cutwork were still very simple - often just knotted picots,or diagonal twisted bars, or none!
Hardangersom was worked in white linen thread on white linen fabric (or cream on cream) of a single weave i.e. not the double or basket weave of contemporary "Hardanger" fabric.The earliest surviving pieces of Hardanger date from the eighteenth century. It is possible that this style of embroidery was first developed to imitate the Italian needle laces known as punto in aria, reticella, and similar styles of work. However because the Hardanger region is geographically isolated, due to the fjords found there, the style of embroidery developed and became quite distinct.

Contemporary Hardanger embroidery
Contemporary designs are very different to traditional Hardanger needlework patterns. In the last century or so, many changes have occurred in the way Hardanger pieces are designed and worked. Coloured and novelty threads and coloured fabrics are now commonly used. New stitches have been developed, including buttonholed edges. Hardanger sometimes is worked together with other techniques such as cross stitch.
The buttonhole edge so common in contemporary Hardanger did not develop until much later. It is one of the main things that has changed hardanger so much. Traditional Hardanger embroidery designs never used a stitch like this because it would have used up too much precious thread. The buttonhole edge means that Hardanger pieces can now be practically any shape you desire!

I really wanna know about this, anyone can help? can we mixed hardanger with our cross stitch project? which fabric should I choose? thanks :)

daisy.habibi Publish time 2017-5-14 19:39

static/image/common/user_online.gif jupiter1 static/image/common/clock.gif 2011-6-20 18:51
Hi, I have many patterns and books, I am teaching myself hardanger with the help of a book of course ...

why aida is not good ? can you please explain , thank you !

daisy.habibi Publish time 2017-5-14 19:44

static/image/common/user_online.gif jupiter1 static/image/common/clock.gif 2011-6-20 18:51
Hi, I have many patterns and books, I am teaching myself hardanger with the help of a book of course ...

i wish if i could be your friend .. :)

Jodi1224 Publish time 2021-8-13 04:29

I think this style of stitching is so elegant. However, I have seen it demonstrated and I would be terrified to put scissors to it. Lol

ladymentha Publish time 2021-9-10 00:31

That looks really pretty. I am you can mix the two. Personally, I am just afraid to my fabric so I will be to chicken to try it.

mardy Publish time 2020-2-8 08:25

Hardanger is beautiful, but you need a really good pair of scissors

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 03:26

Thanks you very much for the sharing!

viky Publish time 2024-4-5 04:31

Thank you very much for sharing!

sweetpea Publish time 2011-2-28 15:27

I need some help for a creative ideas for my next project, please? :D

Willow Publish time 2011-2-28 16:08

I will upload a pattern or two for you

sweetpea Publish time 2011-2-28 17:21

Thanks so much Willow :loveliness:

rafahubner Publish time 2011-6-18 06:30

I don't have the pattern for this design, or know who the designer is, but this is an example of cross stitch and hardanger together, I think is beautiful!

sweetpea Publish time 2011-6-20 23:55

I don't have the pattern for this design, or know who the designer is, but this is an example of c ...
rafahubner Post at 6-18-2011 06:30 http://www.pindiy.com/images/common/back.gif

wow such a beautiful works.. I wish I have time to make one for my own.. thanks rafahubner

nainen Publish time 2011-6-21 00:00

I don't have the pattern for this design, or know who the designer is, but this is an example of c ...
rafahubner Post at 6-18-2011 06:30 http://www.pindiy.com/images/common/back.gif

absolutly wonderfull !!!

jupiter1 Publish time 2011-6-21 02:51

Hi, I have many patterns and books, I am teaching myself hardanger with the help of a book of course.
mostly hardanger is done in 22 cnt fabric but you can use the 28 cnt or 32 cnt..aida is not good for it.

jupiter1 Publish time 2011-6-21 03:02

here is a cover of one of the hardanger magazine...

jupiter1 Publish time 2011-6-21 03:11

I have this one also..I will post it here later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
View full version: Hardanger, oh my..