ShiauLing Publish time 2015-4-16 15:45

Organizing WIPs

Helloo! I wonder how do you store your work-in-progress (WIP) when there's more than one ongoing project?
Do you have a shared tool case (ie scissors, needles) or a tool case for each project?

What about the threads? I currently use a project card for each project and only cut 1 arm length doubled for each color when it runs out.

Do share your great ideas and tips :)

StitchFairy Publish time 2017-10-31 11:19

I use vinyl zipper pouches, for the pattern picture, fabric. I work from one master set of floss, so I pick my colors I am currently using and they go on a ring. I have my scissors, magnets and needles by my stitchy spot. I use my tablet for most patterns. Sometimes paper and then I use two colors of highlighter. I always use either my 6inch or 4inch hoop. I have found this method reduces my need for lots of duplicates. I have 3 full sets of DMC, one set in bobbin boxes, and the other spares are in my floss cabinet.
I also use the Xstitch Appto keep inventory of WIPS, floss and finishes. I have not taken the time to enter my charts, kits or fabrics.

PamKra Publish time 2017-7-30 19:26

After I started cross-stitching again since a long time, I first finished my WIPS (oldest one was from over 30 years ago:loveliness:) Now I force myself to do one work at the time and finish it befor I start the next one. So I am always in a hurry, because I like to start something else:D Meanwhile, I enjoy the one I am working with!

Flirti Publish time 2017-1-23 06:58

each project is in a big zip bag, with its fabric, chart and floss - for my tools I use a little bag: my biscornu, my container for floss trash, my magnets, my pencils, my littl heart shaped boy with my needles, threader, Theread Haven.. so I can jump from one project to another with no re-packing

kittykatcrafts Publish time 2017-3-28 02:03

All the fabric for my wips are stored in a large tub rolled up with a rubber band around each one.My floss are seperated by project into ziplock bags (i sort the floss on project cards). Each ziplock bag has an index card with the name of the project inside.

Yarny Publish time 2017-5-13 08:08

All my tools and thread are in a small plastic case, one side for thread and the other for tools. You can find them at any craft store, makes things nice and simple. My wips go in large plastic bags.

muffincat Publish time 2017-7-30 09:03

I only have a couple of wips at the moment, planning on more soon as I have precut a lot of material. I store the thread on bobbins and place a note inside each bag so I know where everything is. :loveliness:

popsjens Publish time 2017-9-7 15:13

De stof zit in plastic zakken die ik dicht kan doen en het garen zit in dozen. Deze twee houd ik altijd samen in een grotere plastic zak

shashengwandr Publish time 2017-5-11 01:46

I bought the small zip bag and keep every project in separate bags. As I live in Singapore, I keep a carbon bag to reduce humidity.

Cherbarina Publish time 2017-7-21 10:20

I have a lot of wips - who can pick only one! I stitch one colour at a time, so only need to carry a couple of colours around.

Sylvana Publish time 2017-7-30 19:54

I bought a big sewing box, all my materials are in it.
Only for my stitchingwork.

GorjussLover Publish time 2015-4-21 05:20

My storage is all sorts of messed up, but for right now I have all of my WIP in a plastic acetate drawer.I put the floss, needles and canvas in a big ziplock back and store them on top of each other.

DailyStitcher Publish time 2015-4-21 07:51

I have gallon zip lock bags with the supplies for each project in them. That way, I can grab the project I want, throw it in a tote bag, and go.

luckygirl360 Publish time 2015-5-2 03:15

I use clear plastic storage-boxes for each of my WIP embroidery projects......the boxes are big enough to hold my embroidery hoop(usually 6-7 inches hoops) and the cloth of embroidery.The plastic boxes are cheap and sturdy.they help to keep dust and my dog away from my projects :D i also write what size needle i am using for the pattern in a paper and tape it to the inside of the box, for future reference :)

i usesmall clear plastic boxes to keep needles,needle-threader and a small scissor for each project.currently i have 3-4 WIP boxes :lol

liyanaosman Publish time 2015-5-3 01:46

I have a set of tools for each project. All my WIPS are already attached to a scroll frame or Q snap, I have a few. I try to keep a max of 3. Keyword, TRY. If it's a shared thread ie HAEDS and not kits, I keep them using stitchbows in clear binder and folders, one for each project.

Cherbarina Publish time 2015-8-25 19:45

I stitch one colour at a time, so my threads are nearly always in my storage cases...I'm in the process of making little pouches for each WIP to go in, when I'm not working on them. I started with only one - so it was never an issue, but I've become a little bit of a serial starter

ornella73 Publish time 2015-8-25 20:18

Chaque ouvrage a sa trousse et chaque trousse a sa mini pochette pour y ranger les fils, coussin et ciseaux. Heureusement que j'en ai plusieurs, je ne sais pas résister à un nouveau de cœur ;-)

biacl Publish time 2015-9-7 12:32

I wishI had less WIPS. As I'm stitching a pattern, keep thinking about the next one. Sometimes (very often) don't stop at thinking and start new ones, so, keep them on plastic folders, pattern fabric and floss. Store scissors and needles on a tool case.

normalfreak Publish time 2017-3-5 16:40

I have plastic storage drawers that i will often place my wips in
Pages: [1] 2 3
View full version: Organizing WIPs